Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering here, why would anyone buy a new SV? The bike really hasn't changed that much, it does not now come with awesome suspension.

They run forever, there's a million of them on craigslist, so why on earth would you buy an SV off the showroom floor?

I mean really? It's a girls bike right?

Mine was woman owned (read not all f*acked up with idiot mods and crashed) before it was sold with a guy with no time to ride. With 20K showing it looked show room. I paid $2K.

This isn't uncommon, maybe a good deal but not the best ever.

My ownership experience has been essentially that of a new bike. Turn the key and it runs, every time. Plus, I got some nice upgrades in the deal.

Anyhow, I totally don't get why anyone would buy a new SV. It just doesn't change from year to year. The Gen1 is pretty much as good as the two and some think better looking.

Comments please.

Adam

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
well, first of all, someone has to purchase the bike, or else you would never find a used one. And sometimes, folks just want a bike that's showroom perfect and zero miles..so you buy new. I've had a few bikes that were new, probalby the most notable was my Honda CB 750. Purchased new in 1974 and I still remember driving it off the very first time. Another was my 1992 Suzuki Intruder 1400..my wife drove me down to the dealership that morning to get it..I think she had just as big a smile as I did. Yes, sometimes you want "new".

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought new because I didnt have $4K+ to drop on a used bike, i had to finance plus i wanted the grey colored 08 and had to have a full fairing bike naked has never been my style. Also I have a big problem buying a used bike because I have no way of knowing how the previous owner treated it they can tell you anything and could be lying through thier teeth, with the exception of my first bike I have always bought new. I am willing to ride a bike I have put down and fixed but not anothers because at least I know i didnt cut corners. I also wanted a fuel injected bike because I hate dealing with carb maintenance. Finally If nobody bought new where would we get our next bikes the sv's are good but they will not last forever

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am going to keep mine pretty much forever, and I did not want it screwed with. Plus I had just gotten a fat bonus at work that was somewhat unexpected. ;D

Seriously though, I think buying used is fine. I would prefer to be a more knowledgeable rider before this so I could see the problems. I would not mind buying used from a member of my local riding board (barf), provided he was known there. Likewise for my former locale (socalsvriders).

Craigslist scares me a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a new '08 for my first bike. Here are some reasons.

1. i knew so little about bikes, I didn't trust my ability to evaluate the condition of a used one.

2. I KNOW that nobody has hurt this bike before me and I am 100% responsible for it's condidtion from day one.

3. the guy on craigslist is not interested in financing. buying used seemed to mean paying full price up front. The dealership was more than happy to squeeze money out of me over the years for as long as they could.

4. the place I bought from was the only place that would give me a test ride.
(remember, this is my FIRST BIKE. All I had was my endorsment.)
granted, it was only around the parking lot, but it was a BIG parking lot!

5. I like the color better.

6. The feeling of leaving the dealership on your first bike. both me and the bike with zero miles. I will never forget that moment.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I bought my car new.... never making THAT mistake again.

the feeling of knowing it's been treated right and maintained like a baby since day 1, just doesn't hide the feeling that I could be driving around in the same car with fully tuned suspension and an aftermarket turbo for the same price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got about 5,000 miles now, I've learned more about bikes in general and the SV specificly, and I've made a few friends who know something about something.

given that, I'd buy a used one now.
even if I had to be flexible on colors. :)

oh, and one other little thing... THEY STOPED MAKING IT!!! i just don't understand...
(yes, I know you can get the s model, but that's not my style.)

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I bought my first bike brand new. 2004 Ninja 250. Oohh I know, cardinal rule #1 don't buy new bikes as your first. Ohhh noze!!!

I paid all in cash, probably would have benefited from a used one but I only lost a couple hundred from what I paid for it new when I sold it the following the year.

Main reason I bought new was because I didn't want to buy a used bike that might have problems because I really didn't know what I was doing. If I knew then what I know now...would have bought used.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm on the finance boat first off. Didn't have the cash to buy the bike I wanted outright and my '79 Honda was beyond repair...so I was motorcycle(less).

Also, I do all my own maintenance work on my cars and bikes. I've seen plenty of used bikes/cars on the market that have great stories about how someone never raced them or some woman owned it and never drove it...and then you actually come to find that there was never any maintenance done, etc. Personally I'd rather have a bike that was raced and maintained than a grandma bike that never saw an oil change. Unfortunately its difficult to really know what that bike has gone through or not before you really put some time in the saddle and find out whether things go wrong or not.

I bought new because I ride a lot and want to know the history of my bike and be there from mile 0. I also run a motorcycle blog and plan to review the SV from each stage of its "development" as she and I grow together...so just another benefit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wanted fuel injection and a steering stabilizer. I was looking at new, but then a lightly used 1k with 1500 miles fell into my lap.
Those two things were what I felt I needed in a daily driver. The stabilizer has saved my life once. Fuel injection starts every time, and chokes itself.
It all comes down to the $,$$$.$$ for me. New would be fun, but I think there is always a sweet spot to be found somewhere between 'new' and 'used'. For some people, the price of a new bike is just not an issue. The guy I bought my bike from worked for his mommy and daddy. He had several bikes, and was just bored with the SV. He wanted the new 'Busa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wasnt afraid of buying used but decided to take delivery on short notice as an altenative to riding my 82 GS850 on a 2000 mile tour with some friends. They had the color and model I wanted available for $6150 out the door. My wife was expecting me to pick out a $12,000 liter bike. She was so pleased to find I wanted the modest 650. After all it only goes 130 mph. The low milage used ones I had seen for sale were not that inexpensive. I was only going to save $1000 or $1500 at the time. My SV is probably the only thing Ive bought new in the last 30 years. I agree with you that used is a smart way to go, but as you see in the above responses there are reasons why folks sometimes buy new.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
I usually keep my bikes a long time. My last 2 bikes went 9 years, then 12 years. I plan to keep my 2003 SV a long time too, so new made a lot of sense to me. Also it's a nice feeling knowing exactly how the bikes been taken care of, as well as rolling out of the dealer with 0 miles.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I bought my bike new...So, why don't you just tell me how much you think I suck? :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think I even give a sh!t what you think of my purchase?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I actually just bought mine a couple of days ago. I checked out around 15 bikes over the past year (Random r6s, gsx-rs,cbrs) and was not satisfied with any of them. I also didn't know how the previous owner took care of the bike. Buying new puts me at ease knowing that there is nothing wrong with it.

And svs are not as plentiful in many areas as you think. I had a really hard time finding any on craigslist...

+ I am building my credit score (I just started about 4 months ago)

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
You shouldn't buy a new one,do what I am doing take an upgraded 1st gen and send it to twin works factory for a new engine,then enjoy another 80,000 miles.

Though I did buy mine new in 01,go figure,I had 6k to buy a used bike,ended up just paying off a new svs instead.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Why new?
I wanted to know, and be in charge of the bike's history. I wanted it broken in my way, and to use the oil of my choice, changed when I thought right.
I wanted anti lock brakes, and that was only available new.
I wanted the fuel injected model, and none of the local used bikes I looked at for 6 months prior to buying had it.
If the right used bike came along, I'd have gotten it, but my '08 was no-compromise, and I was ready to move beyond my little ninja.
Barry

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK.

I get it now. I guess I just have a used bike head in my helmet. Normally I don't keep bikes too long. Living in New England means you can game the market by buying in late fall and selling 18 months later in spring and making a few buck in the process and getting to ride for a year.

Thanks everyone for making my new-used bike lifestyle possible.

By the way, I won't be selling my SV, it's the one that stole my heart.

A

1 - 20 of 32 Posts