Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to use the spring rate calculator on Sonic Springs website and I've hit a wall. How much does an SV650 weigh wet? I'm 180 w/ gear, and the bike must be 350-400 (complete shot in the dark)? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
At first I thought that sounded really high. Considering the dry weight of the 03-05 is ~370lbs, I would say you're right. That is with full oil, coolant, and gas, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid, Ozarka machine, pregnant woman's "water," hacky sack, and skittles.

It's 2am :?

Josh

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I believe Newdriver is correct.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
if possible, get all geared up, ride your bike to some place that has scales and get weighed or with a bathroom scale, weigh one wheel at a time , with a peice of 2x inder the opposing wheel to level the bike, add the 2 weights

·
Registered
123 Posts
Where does all that extra weight come from over 600cc SS bikes? I would have figured that a two cylinder engine would come at a weight advantage over an I4, and everything else should be pretty much equal. However, when I sit on my friend's bikes, it is obvious from just rocking the bike back and forth that the I4s are far lighter.

·
Registered
398 Posts
XLR8 said:
Where does all that extra weight come from over 600cc SS bikes? I would have figured that a two cylinder engine would come at a weight advantage over an I4, and everything else should be pretty much equal. However, when I sit on my friend's bikes, it is obvious from just rocking the bike back and forth that the I4s are far lighter.
2005 sv650n- 363lbs dry
2005 GSXR 600- 354.9 dry

That not what I would call "far" lighter.

Its saved in lots of places though
Lots in the muffler.
Wheels, forks, etc. A few ounces here and there add up on 100 different components.

·
Registered
62 Posts
also remember less material in an I4 over a v-twin. or at least that is what I have been told by fellow twin riders (friends that own a duc and TLR)

·
Registered
123 Posts
ls14ever said:
XLR8 said:
2005 sv650n- 363lbs dry
2005 GSXR 600- 354.9 dry

Lots in the muffler.
Wheels, forks, etc. A few ounces here and there add up on 100 different components.
Hmm - that's pleasantly surprising. Perhaps what I'm feeling is not a weight difference, but a lower center of gravity in the 600cc SS bikes - cause I'm sure I'm not imagining the difference in perception of lightness when I rock the bike back and forth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
XLR8 said:
ls14ever said:
XLR8 said:
2005 sv650n- 363lbs dry
2005 GSXR 600- 354.9 dry

Lots in the muffler.
Hmm - that's pleasantly surprising. Perhaps what I'm feeling is not a weight difference, but a lower center of gravity in the 600cc SS bikes - cause I'm sure I'm not imagining the difference in perception of lightness when I rock the bike back and forth.
I don't think it's a lower CG. An inline 4 has 4 heads way up high, each with 2 camshafts and the associated valves. Most likely, the newer models have their mass centrally located which makes the bikes feel lighter and turn easier. Honda is a big proponent of this type of design. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
About 430 with a full tank of gas.
Those "dry weight" numbers the manufacturers post are mythical.
You'll probably need .90 springs.

·
Registered
537 Posts
just FYI, the new 600 frames weigh NOTHING...or at least close. i had a 04 ZX6RR frame sent to me and it weighed in @ <30lb

if you lay em down, expect em to get destroyed and replace em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts