Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been reading these boards for a few weeks and I was hoping you could answer a question.

Has anyone ridden both of these bikes? How do they compare to each other?

Thanks
Lil

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Lil--

Welcome to the site. As you guessed, responses here will be biased towards the SV. Either motorcyclist or sportrider did a comparo recently with the SV, FZ6, and 599. I guess it comes down to your preference in power delivery (V twin vs inline 4).

You can also try the search function on this site...

HTH

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lil -

My husband just sold his FZ6 after a year, and bought a GSX-R600. His complaints about the FZ6 was that it wasn't very sporty. It was pretty fast, and would smoke the SV once the rpm's get up there, but its more of a sport-touring bike than anything. You would be sitting much more upright than anything. My husband also complained about the seat. After we'd be out riding for a few hours, he said his ass would start to hurt. The other thing is that it's more expensive to change out the exhaust since it's under the seat. New, higher performance exhausts for it would cost around a grand. He also preferred my SV when cornering. Because of the position that you're sitting, you feel a lot more stable on the SV through the corners.

Overall, by hubby LOVES his new Suzuki, and isn't sorry he traded in the FZ6.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Both excellent bikes. The SV usually wins the comparison tests though. Depends on what you want though. The fz6 will be a faster bike, but the SV is cheaper and has more personality.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Much better ergos (IMO) on the FZ6 compared to the SV650S. Actually, if memory serves, the ergos of the FZ6 were pretty similar to the SV650 naked.

The clincher for me was the engine. The V-twin of the SV is more suited for street riding, IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I test rode an FZ6 and was turned off by some buzzy I-4 vibration in the seat, at various RPM ranges. (Although some may be turned on by some buzzy vibration in the seat, I don't know.) Also, the instrument cluster looked kind of chintzy, and the circular bar graph tachometer was almost impossible to read. I was disappointed. I like what Yamaha tried to do with the FZ6, but to me they missed the mark by a little bit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
slawson3 said:
I test rode an FZ6 and was turned off by some buzzy I-4 vibration in the seat, at various RPM ranges. (Although some may be turned on by some buzzy vibration in the seat, I don't know.) Also, the instrument cluster looked kind of chintzy, and the circular bar graph tachometer was almost impossible to read. I was disappointed. I like what Yamaha tried to do with the FZ6, but to me they missed the mark by a little bit.
Exactly my thoughts! That seat buzz was right at freeway cruise speeds. I wanted to purchase the FZ6 until I demo rode it.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've ridden them both (a lot actually, buddy has an '04 FZ6), here are my thoughts...

FZ6 ...
has better brakes
is faster
has better stock suspension
gets better gas mileage
has an exhaust that looks good but roasts your ass
engine throws off a lot of heat

SV...
is much more fun to ride on the street
has better usable power
is easier to maintain

I would never trade.

S

·
0 Posts
I must say however that My shop sure has been selling a lot of FZ6's. We actually had a backlog of orders. They were sold befor they came in.

S

·
0 Posts
I must say however that My shop sure has been selling a lot of FZ6's. We actually had a backlog of orders. They were sold befor they came in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can buy light used SV with all the mods done like gixxer shock,R1 front end or Gixxer front end,Aftermarket exhaust,Fender eliminator etc. For around 4K-5k and still have money left over.
My next bike is not going out of dealer but from someone who already wasted :D great deal of money modifing.
The great thing about SV is that it has sustained my interest for 4yr that is great deal.Most people outgrow their bike rather fast if that bike in question has no character.,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts