Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a big fan of naked bikes, heres my big problem. inline 4's have crazy hp ratings but i hate riding around at 7000 rpm's or more to get that crazy power. v-twins have the power all the way through the rev's but don't have nearly the max hp :( wheres teh v4's of the 80's at? all the good none of the bad and only a little more complexity

·
Registered
836 Posts
marix said:
im a big fan of naked bikes, heres my big problem.  inline 4's have crazy hp ratings but i hate riding around at 7000 rpm's or more to get that crazy power.  v-twins have the power all the way through the rev's but don't have nearly the max hp :(   wheres teh v4's of the 80's at?  all the good none of the bad and only a little more complexity
I ride my ninja around at the same rpm/gear as my SV if not less. But that's just my style I guess. :-\

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
There are still V4's

Honda is about to release the new VFR (formally Blackbird). To my knowledge it will be a V4 with VTEC. The Interceptor (big $$$) is a V4 as well.

And weren't the older ZZRs by Kawasaki V4s?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Probably one of the most famous V4 platforms is the Yamaha V-max, talk about an engine that has been around for awhile, and proven powerful and reliable. I think the main reason its not in a sport bike is that its too heavy, but that doesnt stop it, Ive seen my buddies dad do awesome wheelies on his V-max.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ya, V-4s are great and so are triples, unfortunately their not popular.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
gahdzila said:
honda has a few V4's, IIRC.

also, I think the goldwing is a 1800cc V6.
the wing is a flat 6

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ducati's MotoGP bike is a V4. I've heard rumors that they will release a consumer version that will make better numbers than a 999R. Not that any normal person could afford such a bike, but it's interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One of the main reasons for V-4's not being very popular production wise is service costs. Takes about twice as long to do everything on a V-4 as it does an inline. No one wants to pay twice as much for a valve adjustment or other service. Another reason is racing. The manufacturer have discovered that it's easier to get big power out of an inline 4 since there is a straighter shot from the intake to the heads and exhaust plumbing is much simpler. Also many of these bikes are the basis for production racing they want as much power as cheaply as possible. The reason there are so many OTHER inline 4 based bikes is that its easier and cheaper to build one type of engine than to produce where many molds, dyes, and much technology can be shared than to build many specialized powerplants.
BTW.. I think that the ZZR has always been an inline 4 and if Honda builds another engine with the Vtech valve timing system it will be disliked just like the engine in the VFR800. Everyone I know who owns a VFR raves about it but every one of them has uttered the phrase "if only I could disable that vtech crap".

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
soundman said:
Everyone I know who owns a VFR raves about it but every one of them has uttered the phrase "if only I could disable that vtech crap".
A guy I work with just said the same thing yesterday! He said the main reason he wanted to disable it is for going to the track because it kicks the power in dangerously (bad for turns). Do VTEC controllers not work for the VFR? Or is there no a controller specifically for that engine?

·
Registered
171 Posts
RandyO said:
the wing is a flat 6
Yes, it is a flat 6 - but horizontally opposed to be technical. 3 cylinders on each side.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
H.P. is not a very good measure of power. The tourque curve is the key to ridable, usable, enjoyable power. Get an SV650 and go ride, you can hold the throttle on longer into the apex and pass all your firends on thier high HP bikes due to the superior cornering speeds you can attain on the little V-twin! (Oh and you can roll back on sooner too since theres power just about everywhere in the RPM range) - Enjoy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts