Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what you guys think of the new Ninja 650R? I think it looks good, should have around the same power as the SV.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
There was a post about this earlier. A lot of people dismissed the Kawasaki because they somehow concluded that a parallel twin motor meant that the bike would be a dud.

We won't really know 'til the inevitable magazine comparisons hit the newsstands (they always seem to get the pre-production bikes a few months before they hit the dealerships).  But seeing as how Kawasaki has a well-deserved reputation for hot-rodded motors, and the fact that this linerless twin has an inherently stronger bottom end and lower weight than our beloved 90 degree twin, the bike might actually live up to the "SV Killer" nickname that's being thrown around.

Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bmetz99 said:
There was a post about this earlier. A lot of people dismissed the Kawasaki because they somehow concluded that a parallel twin motor meant that the bike would be a dud.

We won't really know 'til the inevitable magazine comparisons hit the newsstands (they always seem to get the pre-production bikes a few months before they hit the dealerships). But seeing as how Kawasaki has a well-deserved reputation for hot-rodded motors, and the fact that this linerless twin has an inherently stronger bottom end and lower weight than our beloved 90 degree twin, the bike might actually live up to the "SV Killer" nickname that's being thrown around.

Bill
You think the mags will be in a big rush to write up a 'shoot-out' between two lower-end bikes? I'm dubious that it will get the attention it might deserve, better than the SV or not. There's something distinctly 'unromantic' about a parallel twin. (maybe because it really rattles the ole' bird's nest).

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
toddpnewton said:
You think the mags will be in a big rush to write up a 'shoot-out' between two lower-end bikes? I'm dubious that it will get the attention it might deserve, better than the SV or not.
Maybe.

There were articles about the SV well before it ever hit our shores. Could be that it was a slow year for new bikes. Could be that it was seen as another another doomed-to-failure midsize V-twin standard (a la Honda Hawk GT and Yamaha 550 Vision). Or maybe the editors thought it had the potential to be the "Japanese Ducati" that so many people had been hoping for. But it wasn't given the "ho hum" treatment you'd expect that a midsize beginner bike would get.

Given the SV's popularity, and the fact that this is the first challenger to really target the SV's market, there may be some media interest.

Or not.
There's something distinctly 'unromantic' about a parallel twin. (maybe because it really rattles the ole' bird's nest).
Balance shaft, my friend, balance shaft.

Bill

·
Registered
514 Posts
bmetz99 said:

We won't really know 'til the inevitable magazine comparisons hit the newsstands (they always seem to get the pre-production bikes a few months before they hit the dealerships). But seeing as how Kawasaki has a well-deserved reputation for hot-rodded motors, and the fact that this linerless twin has an inherently stronger bottom end and lower weight than our beloved 90 degree twin, the bike might actually live up to the "SV Killer" nickname that's being thrown around.

Bill
Yea, but its still a Kawi, I mean, who really wants to own one of them?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was considering the Ninja 650 but all the dealers in my area said they would not be in stock until February. Also the Ninja name make me wonder how much insurance will cost. Insurance is the main reason I did not buy a CBR or GSXR. I was not even looking at the SV until the sales guy showed it to me. I'm glad he talked me out of the Ninja ;D. I've truly enjoyed the SV650S after riding a SLOW a#S Harley.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
bmetz99 said:
..... But seeing as how Kawasaki has a well-deserved reputation for hot-rodded motors, and the fact that this linerless twin has an inherently stronger bottom end and lower weight than our beloved 90 degree twin, the bike might actually live up to the "SV Killer" nickname that's being thrown around.

Bill
Some how I don't see any one bike coming out and taking away all the sales of the SV. Even if the motor is stronger on paper it's not a matter of stats, times and Hp numbers. I personally don't like the look of the bike and to me the look of the bike means more then the 1320 times, Hp/TQ and MPG. The SV is a proven winner with a track record to stand on, one of the main reasons why I bought one.

So even if the 650R beats the 06 SV in every head to head catagory I'd still rather get the SV for the aftermarket part available for it, it's look, it's style and it's name.

:)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
kawa is putting the money up to back up their mouth and are paying contigency on 650r

·
Registered
276 Posts
toddpnewton said:
You think the mags will be in a big rush to write up a 'shoot-out' between two lower-end bikes? I'm dubious that it will get the attention it might deserve, better than the SV or not. There's something distinctly 'unromantic' about a parallel twin. (maybe because it really rattles the ole' bird's nest).
The brit mags will. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think it will have a good running engine in it, the chassis looks too upright to be competative in the corners though, imo. The engine looks to be somewhat the same principal as the GS 500, and those bikes will run good, I know of a GS that has a 4 valve head, along with some other key mods, like uhhm I believe its a 517cc, light rods, etc. and it has ran down SV's on the track. If the Kaw has same displacement and can flow some air it will easily run with the SV. But it doesnt matter, Id take an SV anyday over that bike.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I've said it before: I hope this "SV Killer" does well simply for the results of competition (lower prices; higher quality; I won't have the only model girlie bike ;) )

·
Registered
629 Posts
bmetz99 said:

...the bike might actually live up to the "SV Killer" nickname that's being thrown around.

Bill
Hey that was one of my first post and I couldn't think of anything else so I figured I would get a good stir going as a HELLO to everyone :D.

Here is the link:

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=49004.0

1 - 20 of 23 Posts