Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SVriders please help, I'm a beginner rider looking to buy the SV650.

At the local dealership the salesman instead was trying to sell me the new GSX 650f. He said it was an inline4 much smoother, lower seat height (I'm a bit short 31" inseam) & upright seating position.

What do you think of the new GSX 650f vs. SV650 for a new rider?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
The SF is heavier, and doesn't have the chassis for racing. It's more upright and comfortable for distance riding, unless u compare it to a naked SV in which case the SF's fairing would make it more comfortable. Both are cheap (to buy and insure), with budget components, brakes, and suspension. The SF would have a little more top end power vs the low end pull of the SV. The SV has a bit of a twitch when u open and close throttle at low speed and the twin does vibrate a little, but I haven't ridden the SF to compare smoothness. I think the SV looks way better, and feel like I would out grow the capability of the SF's chassis. The SV has tons of parts and capability to be ridden very fast or just change the look. That's why I have an SV. Oh the SV's seat sucks, and i don't know bout the SF

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The only good thing about the gsx 560f is that the chicas can't tell it from a gsxr. Nobody here at least would suggest you purchase it instead of the SV. The seat height will not be an issue and if it is, you can get a lower seat. I'm 5'8" (ok, 5'7.5") with nubs for legs and have no issue. That first day you might feel awkward but that's it.

There are a few circumstances where the gsx's increased pork might be an advantage- like long highway drones but that's it.

BTW, If this is your first bike, you might (should) even consider something smaller and USED... like a gs500e for a season. For $1600 you can pick up a gs500 and sell it for the same (or more if you wax it) in a year.

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
BTW, If this is your first bike, you might (should) even consider something smaller and USED... like a gs500e for a season. For $1600 you can pick up a gs500 and sell it for the same (or more if you wax it) in a year.[/QUOTE]

my first bike was a gs500.. paid $1000 and rode it for three years crashed it twice then sold it for $750

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Start w/a smaller bike.Your friends will give you crap but than you will be a better rider after a year.Than sell it and buy a SV.
Or do what you want and don't listen to us,we don't know what we are talkin about.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
First thing I'd do is park the 'size' ego (if one exists - only you know).

The very last thing I'd do is buy new. I echo the other comments about starting out with something a little smaller for a period of time. A used GS500 or Ninja 500 may be ugly - but they can be had dirt cheap and will suffer new riders without a lot of drama.

Better to start small and wish you'd gone bigger than to start big and throw it down the road.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
my first bike was a gs500.. paid $1000 and rode it for three years crashed it twice then sold it for $750
Yup. mine too. You can do 1k in damage on a new SV just dropping it in the parking lot (which you will); you can drop that same 1k gs500 over and over and not really devalue it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much for all your input guys.

Buying used makes lot of sense. At the dealership they didn't even show me the pre-owned ones...they just want to sell new.

But buying from a private seller, since I'm new to motorcycles, how do I know if the engine & everything is good, was not raced or crashed. I dont have any friends who know bikes & would be able to tell.

Where can I get a mechanic who would test a bike for me?

Or what to look for high level while buying a used bike to make sure nothing major is wrong???

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
But buying from a private seller, since I'm new to motorcycles, how do I know if the engine & everything is good, was not raced or crashed. I dont have any friends who know bikes & would be able to tell.
You won't know. Which is why I'm not totally behind the "buy a used chunk of crap for your first bike" philosophy. My first bike was a brand new Katana 600 (mechanically almost the same as the GSX650F), and I never regretted buying new. I also never regretting getting that Katana, it's a fine bike.

What's been said about the two bikes is true - the Katana will be better for extended highway riding, but really the fact that the SV is ~100lbs lighter more than offsets the fact that it may have a slightly higher riding position.

The two bikes have the same crappy suspension and OK brakes. The GSX motor is probably easier to take care of (I can guarantee that it's easier to change the plugs on!!!) and a bit tougher if you don't take care of it. Both are available with ABS, which I think is worth looking at very hard whether a new rider or more experienced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You want this: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Where are you located? You might be able to find someone on the board who is near you, knowledgeable, and would come look with you.

I've got a nice Ninja 250 for sale if you're near Connecticut. :p

Thanks for the link, I will go thru it.

I live near Wilmington, Delaware where it is snowing currently :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
ironguy..so let me give you some quick and easy insight from somewhat of a beginner rider myself... 3 years ago I bought my first bike used (suzuki intruder volusia) which was a a mid weight cruiser. I learned riding on this heavy big bike..and it kinda sucked..then i came across the sv forum,. and ended up buying on 05 svnaked, with 600 miles on it..and I LOVE it..now maybe its because I was coming from a heavy bike to a smaller one (in size certainly not power and speed)...but it made riding a bike so much more freeing...the sv can be a bike for expereinced riders, but trust me, it is fine for a beginner...some other advice I learned, the fule injection is key..if you buy a used stay away from older model bikes with carbs...

As far as buying used from a private person, I have had no trouble..I both times met the seller at a bike shop and with cash in hand said "ill buy this bike on the spot if you pay for the mechanic to check it out.."

Thanks much for all your input guys.

Buying used makes lot of sense. At the dealership they didn't even show me the pre-owned ones...they just want to sell new.

Where can I get a mechanic who would test a bike for me?

Or what to look for high level while buying a used bike to make sure nothing major is wrong???

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
My co-worker got a GSX-650F before I bought my SV in 08. It's a nice bike. It's basically the replacement for the Katana. We swapped bikes and rode around the parking lot. It's a well balanced bike, but noticeably heavier than the SV. The fairing looks like it should provide longer highway miles. It also has a built in gear indicator if that's at all important to you.

That being said, a lighter bike is easier to pick up if or when you drop it. I have never dropped my SV (knocking on formica).

tk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the sv can be a bike for expereinced riders, but trust me, it is fine for a beginner...some other advice I learned, the fule injection is key..if you buy a used stay away from older model bikes with carbs...

As far as buying used from a private person, I have had no trouble..I both times met the seller at a bike shop and with cash in hand said "ill buy this bike on the spot if you pay for the mechanic to check it out.."
Thats some great advice I could use.

I was starting to consider bikes like the ninja 250. As I read they are good to learn riding skills on first.
But I really like the raw naked brute look of SV much much better. Maybe I'm not practical, going superficially on looks, but I can't get the SV out of my head!

Do you know how much cost of insurance differ between Standard SV650 naked vs. say a ninja 250? though its a sportbike, its lesser CC. so would it be the same to insure?

·
Registered
496 Posts
My insurance with Geico was almost exactly the same for my Ninja 250 as it was for my SV. Call up your insurance company, they can usually give you a quote for either situation.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I was starting to consider bikes like the ninja 250. As I read they are good to learn riding skills on first.
But I really like the raw naked brute look of SV much much better. Maybe I'm not practical, going superficially on looks, but I can't get the SV out of my head!
Practicality and bikes don't always go hand-in-hand. If the bike you lust after is an SV, just get one and be happy. I think you can make a very good case that it's every bit as good of a beginner bike as the Ninja 250.

Do you know how much cost of insurance differ between Standard SV650 naked vs. say a ninja 250? though its a sportbike, its lesser CC. so would it be the same to insure?
There are sooooooo many variables with insurance rates that the only advice anyone can give you is to call your broker and get some quotes.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Thats some great advice I could use.

I wish sometimes that I'd come on this site before I got my bike. I started on the SV, which I love, but I would have been better off starting on a little Ninja250. I think they help to inspire confidence early on. Through Progressive there was a cost difference for insuance. Most companies rate sport and cruiser bikes differently, and then do additional assessments based on the CCs. So, I would imagine that the Ninja250 would be pretty cheap.

Oh...and when and if you drop your bike...you'll be much happier if it's used;D So, purchasing motosliders is the best initial investment you can make if you go with the SV.

Being short does suck, I tip-toe on my SV, but it's not the end of the world. You can get dog-bones to lower the bike (fairly easy to install), or just go with the shaved/lowered seat until you feel more comfortable!

Once you settle in, you can upgrade the suspension, brakes, etc. fairly easily. Of course all of that will be based on your weight and what you use the bike for (street, long hauls, track riding, racing).

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
...some other advice I learned, the fule injection is key..if you buy a used stay away from older model bikes with carbs...
That is just silly. How did you "learn" to stay away from carbs? New bikes are being made to this day with carbs- they work and are not scary. It is true that if they are stored for a while, they can gum up and stop working but then it is just a matter of cleaning them. I took apart and put back together the carbs on the first bike I ever had- and the issue turned out not to be the carbs but oh well.

With the amount of information available today on the internet etc, I'd be even less worried about buying a used bike.

It can be a gamble but the money we're talking about is probably equal to your deductible should you drop your new bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is just silly. How did you "learn" to stay away from carbs? New bikes are being made to this day with carbs- they work and are not scary. It is true that if they are stored for a while, they can gum up and stop working but then it is just a matter of cleaning them. I took apart and put back together the carbs on the first bike I ever had- and the issue turned out not to be the carbs but oh well.

With the amount of information available today on the internet etc, I'd be even less worried about buying a used bike.

It can be a gamble but the money we're talking about is probably equal to your deductible should you drop your new bike.

Ok value judgement boy--its not silly at all to tell someone to stay away from carbs when they are shopping around for used bikes..he mentione dhe was a begiiner rider..if he is new to the sport, i doubt the first thing he wants to do when buying his first toy is take apart the carbs to clean them! Time and time again, freinds of mine buying used bikes--especially more than 4 or 5 years old with low mileage have had hesitations and things from the carbs being gummed up..why not just avoid that whole potential? BTW, we are all not at the level of someone like you who can just take apart carbs and clean them...believe it or not some beginners think thats difficult

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Regarding insurance: If you buy a $1000 250-500cc bike, all you will need is liability and a lock (not getting stolen) and it will super cheap. Where I live, quotes on comprehensive for a new bike were $2000 a year. As it is, I pay $800 for my 2003, and this is with a very god record.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.