Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2005 SV650S for a while now. I had originally planned to turn it into a track bike but that never happened. I am a fairly new track day rider. I have had my 2009 Ducati 1198 on the track 4 times now. And Im getting faster and faster every time. Im starting to get to the point where Im pushing myself and the bike pretty hard, I had a scare last time I was out on track but I was able to save it. My question is the SV worth dumping money into to make it an enjoyable track day weapon. I am talking about completely redoing the suspension and what not. Or is cheaper to just go buy a used track ready 600? There are some 06-07 R6s and CBR600RR for $4.5-5K. The front end on the SV scares the poop out of me when pushed hard. It just feels like its always going to collapse. The Ducati is telepathic on the track and super stable. Im looking for that in the SV. The top speed deficit isn't that big of a deal to me. I say that now but I imagine it would be annoying to pass someone through a turn only to have them fly by on the straight and have to do it all over again. So is it worth the money to put into the SV to make it into a proper track weapon? And what all have you guys done to your track bikes? Thanks for your help.

http://youtu.be/B72jVCCCNeU

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I think to some extent you will have to decide what satisfies you and what your goals happen to be.

Proper springs and emulators in the front forks and a decent shock will make a huge difference in the handling of your SV, as will a GSXR front-end. However, it will never be your Ducati or a late-model 600 supersport. Having said that, in the long run it will probably be cheaper and it is a bike you can learn a lot on and have a world of fun cheaply.

I would argue you will gain more on the SV than you would on the 600, plus what greater feeling is there than beating a 600 or even litre bike through the corners and making them rely on their power to get by you in the straights.

Bottom line comes down to what you want. The SV might not be right for you, or maybe the 600 isn't, but you have to decide. Me, I have tons of fun on the SV and love racing it for all sorts of reasons.

·
Registered
392 Posts
An SV can and is a great track day ride. It can be a little challenging to keep determined 600 riders behind you. If you get your SV sprung correctly it will be just dandy. If you go for cartridges up front and a Penske shock it will be sweet. I would be lying if I said I did not want a 600 once in a while but over all I am just damn happy with an SV at the track.

I even raced my SV against the 600s this year at the Loudon Classic and finished mid packish with an illshifting transmission. It is real fun beating 600s on our little twins. :)

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I've got an 848, but much prefer a well-prepped SV on the track.
At least to a stock Duc. The 848/1098/1198 series can be made to work well, but it's going to take a lot of money, quite a bit more than you have to put into the SV.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have ridden several bikes on the track, 600rr,R6,r1,drz400sm, and sv650....if I could have a pic between any it would be the sv hands down! That's why I am back on the sv now

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Depends what you like and what kind of tracks you are going to ride

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I say that now but I imagine it would be annoying to pass someone through a turn only to have them fly by on the straight and have to do it all over again.

From a track day perspective it really isn't that big of an issue, at least for me. I run a mid intermediate pace. Very rarely does anybody I pass get back around me. I think most people realize you can't win anything in a track day and just let it go. In fact, just showing a wheel to somebody in front of me will usually cause them to back off enough to allow me to pass. I wouldn't worry about getting passed back until advanced...or racing of course.

I don't race yet (just track days) so take this for what it's worth.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
From a track day perspective it really isn't that big of an issue, at least for me. I run a mid intermediate pace. Very rarely does anybody I pass get back around me. I think most people realize you can't win anything in a track day and just let it go. In fact, just showing a wheel to somebody in front of me will usually cause them to back off enough to allow me to pass. I wouldn't worry about getting passed back until advanced...or racing of course.

I don't race yet (just track days) so take this for what it's worth.
Yea when I was just doing track days this was definitely not the case LOL

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If you pass someone on a 600 and they fly back past you... so what? It's a track day, ya can't lose! :)

Either pass em earlier in the twisty bits and gap them in the corners (assuming you're a better rider, since you were able to pass them in the first place) or lay off and let them go.

I really enjoy riding my SV. After a few years of tinkering it's set up just how I want it. A real scalpel that's pretty easy to ride. Would I enjoy a bigger bike, too? Sure! I've ridden plenty of other bikes on the track "in anger"... 999s, 1000RRs, R1s, 675s, MV Agustas, etc, etc. They're all fun.

Which one would I want to own in the long run? With the esception of the R1, probably my SV. So simple to operate & easy on tires. Just gas it up, key the starter and go!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would not trade my race prepped SV650 for any other bike. I love it. It has enough power to get you in trouble and also to have a blast with. A set of Bridgestone slicks is lasting me like 8 track days at an advanced pace. It will be cut in half at least with an I-4 600. Yes it is frustrating to be passed on the straights every time by the big bikes but it got me so much better at passing.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I love my SV, I have ridden a GSXR600 and an RC51 on the track and will take an SV650 any day. Its actually to the point that my 600 friends won't stop buggin me to buy a 600 but I don't need anything more. That said I will prob get a 600 for racing in the near future, but not instead of my SV but as a second track bike.
This year racing in the CCS Rookies cup races was some of the most fun I have had on the track, its 1000s, 600s and lightweights all at the same time. Sometimes it was frustrating being stuck behind a slower 600 in the turns to have them pull away on the straight but when you do pass them and hold them off it feels great.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I am personally going with a 600 prepped bike next year, kneeling towards the R6 or GSXR-600 for next year. I would love a Triumph Daytona 675, but it is too expensive and parts are a pain in the butt if you go down. I know the 600's are a dime a dozen but they are great bikes. My SV1000S is great, but I want something lighter and something that is not my street bike. I test rode the latest Ninja ZX-6R with ricracer at the last TPM event and I loved it, the lightness, the cramped seating, the power down low was not that bad, and up top it felt great, definitely something to consider for next year (unless I find a crashed 675).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You all bring up very good points. I appreciate all your input. The reliability while being flogged on the track is a very big plus in the SV's favor. As well as the low cost to run and repair. Which brings up another question; how well does the SV survive crashes? Ive seen some i4s low side (even flip through the air) and end up with just scratches on the bodywork/tank. What modifications are you guys doing to your bikes to make them better track day bikes? Are most of you running emulators and proper springs in your forks or are you replacing them all together. I have a complete GSX-R front end (I think its from an 01-03 750, its inverted but the brakes aren't radial). The GSX-R forks need to be rebuilt though, they are leaking. I got them at a good price because somebody bought them and didn't want to rebuild them.Would this be an improvement or should I just spring the stock forks for my weight and throw in some emulators? What kind of rear shocks are you running? I have a ZX-6R (I believe) shock on it now. The action and dampening are nice but its shorter than the stock and makes the ride height too low. Im trying to do the math for everything I need because I dont want to pay too much to make the bike handle better, Im getting in low/used 600 range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh I keep going back and fourth. I went to my garage and started tearing apart the SV to prep it for the track and I started second guessing myself. Its not the work, I love working on my bikes. I just don't want to wish I had a 600, know what I mean?

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's interesting that you're asking about the best option for a track bike, 600 v/r SV on an SV site.. Of course the over whelming consensus is going to be SV.

I have two race prepped SV's and a 954. I have ridden lots of my friend's bikes and they have ridden mine. 9 out of ten times they come off the track with my SV and they can't stop talking about how much fun it was. About how they can carry so much speed and brake so much later etc. etc, etc.

Something to consider:

- If you want that pull the front of the ground in 4th gear the SV may not be right for you
- If you're riding on super long tracks with more straights than turns the SV may not be right for you
- If you can ride a race prepped SV to its limits and you want more the SV may not be right for you
But
- If you're riding small or twisty tracks with more corners than straights the SV may be right for you
- If you want to learn how to carry a lot of corner speed the SV may be right for you
- If you want to stay on the gas longer and brake later than your friends the SV may be right for you
- If you want to find parts and bikes on the cheap the SV may be right for you
- If you want to come in after a session and talk smack to the noob on a BMW about how slow he is the SV may be right for you

Regardless of whether you decide to get a 600 or race prep a SV as a track bike you're going to have a blast as long as you keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do with the bike and I haven’t read the whole thread so forgive me if you have already gone over this topic. Will it be track days only or are you racing it? You mentioned a Gsxr frontend so if you were going to race it you'd have to race the superbike classes. You can go back to stock but the aftermarket options for me are not worth it when you think of the better brakes you get with the gsxr parts. If you were going to buy an I4 then you’re spending about 4500-5000 on it. You can upgrade your SV for a fraction on that and still have plenty of power to get yourself in tons of trouble. Also when you have your bike dialed in, then you will know what kind of power you are looking for and where to use it and it’s not just when the bike is straight up.

I have 07' Gsxr 750 forks with a double clicker Penske and it works fine. This winter I’ll be upgrading the parts inside the forks to equal the rear.

You can find these parts used and save a nickel but you are still going to get somewhere to have the right spring rate and freshened up so the money you saved will just go spent anyway. I get all my work done by MDM http://www.metricdevilmoto.com/

Though I will eventually get myself a 675R, right now I’ll stick to the SV650. One thing that you will lose with the I4's is your learning curve will be reduced. I have ridden I4's on the track in the past and they are really easy to ride fast but not because you are a better rider. You just have more power on tap. Most likely your corner speed won’t be as quick and just waiting for the corner to be done for you to open the throttle.

The SV's force you to get fast in the corners where with the I4's you rely on the straight line speed and anyone can twist the throttle on the straights. Going into and out of corners faster is what makes better riders. Most I4 riders are really slow in corners. I was having this same discussion with a friend that rides on a SV650 at the track and he is also thinking of going I4 in the future but not before he learns to go really fast on an SV. There is always something that you will learn riding and racing on the track and there is so much more to learn. For instance I’d like to truly learn how to trail brake and try backing it into corners on purpose and not by accident like I do it now. That’s not something you can easily learn on an I4 just because it’s easier to get to higher MPH without really knowing how to handle it.

Another reason for keeping my SV is that every time I’m at the track someone will say “man, I wish I never sold my SV”. I even had a coach ask me if I were looking to sell it. My obvious answer was “hell no!”

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's interesting that you're asking about the best option for a track bike, 600 v/r SV on an SV site.. Of course the over whelming consensus is going to be SV.

I have two race prepped SV's and a 954. I have ridden lots of my friend's bikes and they have ridden mine. 9 out of ten times they come off the track with my SV and they can't stop talking about how much fun it was. About how they can carry so much speed and brake so much later etc. etc, etc.

Something to consider:

- If you want that pull the front of the ground in 4th gear the SV may not be right for you
- If you're riding on super long tracks with more straights than turns the SV may not be right for you
- If you can ride a race prepped SV to its limits and you want more the SV may not be right for you
But
- If you're riding small or twisty tracks with more corners than straights the SV may be right for you
- If you want to learn how to carry a lot of corner speed the SV may be right for you
- If you want to stay on the gas longer and brake later than your friends the SV may be right for you
- If you want to find parts and bikes on the cheap the SV may be right for you
- If you want to come in after a session and talk smack to the noob on a BMW about how slow he is the SV may be right for you

Regardless of whether you decide to get a 600 or race prep a SV as a track bike you're going to have a blast as long as you keep the shiny side up.
What he said! And he's right about smacking BMW1000R's being smacked by little SV650's.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've been doing track days with my SV for about the last 18 months and I just picked up an 02 R6. I rode the R6 the last track day, it is a very nice ride, but not as much fun as the SV.
YMMV

1 - 20 of 82 Posts