Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. A local radio station here runs an event where anyone who wants to can drag race a friend in an 1/8 mile strip. My boss at work challenged me to a grudge match, his CTS-V (the highest model - with the corvette engine in it) vs. my SV650.

I looked around at 1/4 mile times. They seem roughly the same with good drivers (around 12.5 seconds). He is most likely faster at shifting through his gears than I am (having only a year of experience on my bike).

Just wondering where you'd place your bets...

·
Banned
296 Posts
Practice your launch and 2nd gear shift - you should be able to at least make it interesting

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A bike should be faster shifting than any fully-manual vehicle. When you're going to upshift, put light pressure on the shifter and quickly chop the throttle without using the clutch. It should slide right into gear. I don't suggest this at low speeds or acceleration, as it can be quite jerky down low.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Practice your launch. If you don't get him there, I don't know if you'll be able to keep up. Luckily the SV will pull hard in the 1/8th mile... and it's a good thing because over 100mph the Caddy will probably take you.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I would put my money on the SV. In a short distance the SV has the advantage: it's light, has good torque, and good from 0-100. The CTS-V is fast as well but with the power weight ratio you should have the advantage in 1/8 mile. I would guess that 1/4 mile would be a toss up and 1 mile and up you shouldn't bother. Other than that it comes down to the driver/rider, you want to shift at the right point (not red line), maybe 8k rpm (i never drag raced but I do know having it red line will kill time and possibly kill your engine over time). Good luck and I hope to hear or see the results! ;D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Other than that it comes down to the driver/rider, you want to shift at the right point (not red line), maybe 8k rpm (i never drag raced but I do know having it red line will kill time and possibly kill your engine over time). Good luck and I hope to hear or see the results! ;D

I thought I read on here that shifting at 10k will set up the next gear at max torque. Is this correct?

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
This is coming out of my ass, since I don't drag race, and never really had an interest in it, but you should be able to wax him at 1/8 mile.

The quarter mile times might be similar, but I would bet the Caddy would be charging up the SV650's tailpipe in the second half of the 1/4, making up the time and ground it looses in the first part, and heading to a higher overall top speed, due to more engine and better aerodynamics. Your lack of mass, should get you out of the box first, to 60 faster, and through the 1/8 mile before the Caddy really gets going.

A quick Google found the below information from this website for the CTS:

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60_Quarter_Mile_Times/C_0-60times.html

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (0-60) 5.1 (1/4 mile) 13.4

And this for the SV from here:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/middleweight_motorcycle_comparison/index.html

Performance
Corrected 1/4 mile: 11.87 sec. @ 110.02 mph
0-60 mph: 3.65 sec.

Admittedly, the times above were most likely accomplished by expert riders/drivers, so if both of you are equally new to the strip, skill (or lack thereof) will probably be a wash.

My money is on the bike.

·
Registered
551 Posts
since you said the corvette engine, i'm assuming you mean the first-gen CTS-V (even though the second one has a vette-derived engine+SC).

if he's a good driver and can launch well, it'll be a close race, but the 1/8mi ought to be short enough to really put the bike at an advantage, unless you totally suck at launches (i do).

2nd gen CTS-V with the 550hp engine in the quarter mile would probably slaughter an SV, unless it's pilot is a drag racer.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Must be fun to have a boss who wants to drag race, I sadly cannot offer any advice as i'm rather a noob when it comes to this. I must say you have the upper hand big time when it comes to shifting. Even slow shifting with my bike is much quicker then with my jetta.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you're serious about doing this, the best thing to do is go practice launches.

My technique is:

Right foot down, left foot under the shifter ready to shift to second. Rev the bike to 6k, hold it there. Let the clutch out until you start to feel the friction zone engage. Once the light goes green, you smoothly pin the throttle and release the clutch quickly but controllably. If you start to wheelie, just hold the clutch where it is for a moment, and the front end will come back down.

If you're afraid of wheelies, put your right foot on the lever, covering the rear brake, and have your left foot down. Obviously, that opens you up to fumbling the 1-2 shift if you're not comfortable snapping your foot up onto the footpeg.

I shift out of first a little early. Less potential for a missed shift, and there's not that much gain by holding it out to absolute max power in first gear and there's a lot to lose if you put it into the limiter or blow the shift.

http://www.vimeo.com/2408408

First 2 launches are better than the third, where I let the clutch out too fast and the bike bogged.

Don't do more than, say, 3-4 full speed launches in one session, you'll fry your clutch :) Find a good location, and practice rolling smoothly on the throttle to pinned in first gear and nailing the 1-2 shift consistantly at the RPM you want (I shift out of first at around 9k, other gears are around 10k), and then when you've got your shifting good, come to a complete stop and try launching a few times. You'll start to develop a feel for how much clutch and throttle you should be using. I don't have a problem roasting my clutch, as clutches are only 100$ and 45 minutes to swap and I'm on a dedicated track/racebike, but it won't hurt yours to do it a few times every so often for practice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I thought I read on here that shifting at 10k will set up the next gear at max torque. Is this correct?
it varies per gear, here's what I got from a spreadsheet from Motorcyclist:
(unfortunatly I've apperently lost the original doc)

1st to 2nd - Red line
2nd to 3rd - ~10.5k
3rd to 4th - ~10k
4th to 5th - ~9.5k
5th to 6th - ~9k

·
Registered
522 Posts
Slash his tires at work. You win, no practice necessary.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Be sure to have at least 30 feet between you and him at the start.
Drag strip lanes are wide for a reason; you never no how much the launch will go sideways, especially in a car.

You won't know that your front tires in the air until you try to steer out of his way. Keep your weight down and forward.

Hate to see you end up under his front tire.

Oh, and since he's still going to be your boss afterward, let him win.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts