Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I see myself already thinking of ways to chopping it up and making it a cafe racer. Why not just build that?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Why is there this sudden recurrence of bike styled after bikes in the 70's? There is a reason bikes changed.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Why is there this sudden recurrence of bike styled after bikes in the 70's? There is a reason bikes changed.
I dig many of the modern retros. The SportClassic, Paul Smart 1000, Thruxton, Bonneville. To me those pay homage to some classic designs but with modern components. I'd love to own one.

This, however, is not one of those classic designs.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Why is there this sudden recurrence of bike styled after bikes in the 70's?
For the same reason hundreds of companies make Cobra replicars. Guys my age have more $$$ than future and we want to recapture the fun we imagine we missed out on when we were in our 20s.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
I like that a lot! Keep the price around 5k and I think they'd have a huge hit!
I could see Hyosung making this. Why? Here's a quote from the "designer"
People buy a bike especially for the aesthetic pleasure. That it will also work fine is automatically implied
True dat! How about his BMW electric SuperMotoScooter?
BMW SCOOTER ELETTROENDURO.jpg

Edit: on closer examination of the SV650 concept, not even Hyosung would attempt to market something with no intake assembly and nowhere to put it!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I think this would outperform the the KLR on the road, while keeping up with it in the dirt. It might also keep up with the Wee Strom on the road, while outperforming it in the dirt. I like it.

Outfit it like an adventure tourer, and I could see taking a bike like this on some really long trips. (Think "Long Way Around" long.)

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I think this would outperform the the KLR on the road, while keeping up with it in the dirt. It might also keep up with the Wee Strom on the road, while outperforming it in the dirt. I like it.
It would be heavier than the KLR. I'm not dirt-qualified so I can't speculate what a handful it would be. From what I've read, the DL650 is not a particularly competent dirt bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Outfit it like an adventure tourer, and I could see taking a bike like this on some really long trips. (Think "Long Way Around" long.)
Which is why Suzuki will most likely never build it. I had both an SV650 and DL650 - wonderful as the Wee was, I felt more assured riding dirt & gravel on the SV.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Meh... does nothing for me. There are lots of competent dual purpose bikes. I hate to think about Suzuki wasting their time on stuff like this.

If Suzuki brings the SV back to the US, I would rather see an SV with full Gixxer suspension, brakes and lighter wheels as a production bike.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts

The problem with photochop customs is that they conveniently ignore stuff like engineering and physics. The bike looks great. But think about that "gas tank". Most of its interior room would be eaten up by frame rails and carburetors. It could be made as a plastic cover, but not as an actual gas tank. And the remaining room would give you a fuel capacity of maybe a gallon, maybe.

And what about little things like, say, the battery, the regulator/rectifier, the ignitor box, the fuse box, the starter relay, and all the other bits that clutter up the subframe? Maybe you could replace the foam in the seat cushion with a hollowed-out plastic case where all that stuff would live, but I don't think rider comfort would be this bike's strong point.

Looks cool, but not like it could actually be built.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Meh... does nothing for me. There are lots of competent dual purpose bikes. I hate to think about Suzuki wasting their time on stuff like this.

If Suzuki brings the SV back to the US, I would rather see an SV with full Gixxer suspension, brakes and lighter wheels as a production bike.
Or if you could actually find a Fischer MRX for sale somewhere...or just buy a used SV and upgrade the suspension.

I want an SV750/800 with electronic goodies...I don't care if the suspension is crap, I can replace that easily. Not so easy to add traction control or ABS and that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I like the sticker on the plate that is below the seat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts