Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went today to take a test ride on a sv650 and it felt kinda big and heavy, but maybe thats because the only other bike ive rode was a 250. do you think i will fell more comfortable with it over time? i am 5'7" 125lbs. should i look for a smaller bike? any input is greatlt appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How many miles do you have under your belt? If less than 3-5K I'd encourage you to get more experience with the 250.

If you're more experienced a larger bike [to you] like the SV won't be all that intimidating. Perhaps a few thousand more miles to get comfortable with riding and the SV won't be all that bad. I'm a small guy myself at 5'9" and 155lbs and I would be comfortable throwing a leg over much heavier and taller bikes. Just takes some time to get used to it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
That depends on how long you have ridden a 250. If you have much experience on the 250, the bigger SV will feel bigger for a bit, but then probably feel small in a little while. If you don't have much experience on bikes, the 650 might be too big.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I would stick with the ninja 250 or perhaps 500.

Would you get used to the weight over time? Yes, but after how many drops or injury to yourself? Start out with a lighter, cheaper, droppable bike rather than one like the SV. Get used to the weight of the lighter bike and become comfortable with riding in general before you step up to the middleweights; as far as middleweights, they don't come much lighter than the SV.

HTH

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
mattM said:
is the ninja 500 much smaller? i also tested a buell blast when i was there, and that thing was crap.the only time ive rode was in the MSF course
you need to ride a 250 or 500 for a while before stepping up to the sv650. it might not be a high horsepower beast like a gsx-r 600 or similar bikes but it was alot of torque down low which i think can get newer riders into trouble faster than big horse power up high.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think it all comes down to each individual, the SV was my first bike and I have had it less than a year....I felt really comfortable on it within a week of riding it and got really comfortable (hanging off, knee dragging) by the end of the summer. I think its all a matter of personal preferance, if it feels too big for you right now then wait a little while and keep riding your 250, however with a careful, mature rider the SV can make a great first, or even second bike.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Too bad you can't get the SV400 around here, that would be the best compromise

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
big and heavy? what the hell, go sit on an inline 4 bike then, when I first sat on an 05 sv I thought it was as nimble as street bikes come, this bike is dainty compared to just about every other 600cc+ bike on the market...I think you should stick with the ninjas for now like everyone else has mentioned...or see if the naked 03+ 650 feels any lighter. Even my 02 feels light to me. Shyte, even my MSF bike was heavier than my svitty. That's one of the reasons I like them so much :)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
TestaStretta said:
No it wouldn't, it's barely lighter than the 650.

The SV's not a heavy bike... But it can feel top-heavy and tall sometimes. I'm not sure why this is, my bike's lighter than the Daytona 650 I was on a while back but the Daytona felt lighter- it came off the sidestand easier, was easier to push about, and felt more stable when being pushed around... I agree with the guys that a 250's a better starting bike but the SV's not the worst choice you could make. As long as your head's in the right place an SV will usually look after you- once you get over the engine braking it's a big pussycat, until you start pushing it.

Plus, you've shown yourself to be perceptive by disliking the Buell Blast ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
TestaStretta said:
i had the same thought. i wanted to get one for my girlfriend

·
Registered
684 Posts
if you weigh only 125lbs. get more expierience on the smaller bikes. at that weight moving the bike around in the garage is a danger soon as it gets past that lean angle and your not on it and moviing its goin over. they are heavy but with more skill you could handle one and you will be fast on it because of ur weight

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
B.a. said:
i had the same thought.  i wanted to get one for my girlfriend
It's really just an underpowered SV with less good brakes... Same frame, same basic engine, so it weights very nearly as much as the 650 and is the same size. If you're looking at getting a low-powered SV, you could buy the restrictor kits we use in the UK- there's various sorts, but there's a real cheap one- and use it to restict the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My daughter is 5'6" and weighs about 100lbs wet through...took her test on an ER5 and went straight to an sv650 (not restricted). There's no hard and fast rule - it's what you feel most comfortable and secure on. There are 250s around that would make me cringe if she chose to buy one, and 750s that wouldn't cause me any worries.

In terms of all round handling/stability/ sensible torque and power band, the SV has a LOT going for it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I say you'll get used to it in no time. Your coming off a 250 ninja, it's gonna feal heavy to you. I sat on my buddies wife's 250 the other day and it felt like a power wheels motorcycle to me, because I'm used to my SV. If you've got riding experience, go for it. ;)

The SV is a light bike, nothing piggish about it. Take that from someone that's ridden alot of bikes. I've thrown a leg over everything from a ZX-9 to a Yamaha 1600 Roadstar. Talk about a pig, after riding my dads 1600, I got on mine and almost dropped it in the driveway trying to turn around. It was so much quicker to turn and so much lighter that it almost got away from me. Plus, after getting used to his low seating position and wide bars, mine felt like it was thin as an anorexic and the bars felt too close together. I guess the point is, you get used to things and a little change feels like alot. Take from this what you will. ;D

·
Registered
899 Posts
B.a. said:
you need to ride a 250 or 500 for a while before stepping up to the sv650.  it might not be a high horsepower beast like a gsx-r 600 or similar bikes but it was alot of torque down low which i think can get newer riders into trouble faster than big horse power up high.
Good point!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
RandyO said:
the Ducati M620 is a good girley bike, low seat height for those of smaller stature
lol...nice way to sell a bike eh? THIS BIKE IS GIRLY, JUST LIKE YOU! :p lmao

on a side note, the monster 620 is a mega cool bike, pretty cheap, even here I've seen a brand new one going for $4999 (used new I mean, like 800 miles) I've sat on one but it felt neutral to me, couldn't tell you how it feels on the road.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts