Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen things about bikes with reserve tanks and I also have notice there are NO fuel gauges in motorcycle gas tanks. I don't know why but they should make one. Anyways what bikes that compete with the sv's have reserve tanks? I'd just like to see what they are and I have to at least attempt to keep an open mind.

·
Registered
110 Posts
lots of bikes have fuel guages, and lots of bikes have reserve tanks.

the SV just happens to have neither.

but we do get a light!

N

·
0 Posts
An odometer is better than any fuel gauge. Also, MC fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

There's not actually a reserve tank, it's just that the primary (non-reserve) position has a standpipe so that you're sucking air when the fuel level drops below it.

Petcocks are "nice to have", but Murphy's Law says that you'll always have to switch to reserve when a semi/ grandma/ firetruck is bearing down on you. I think the SV's setup is perfect.

:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like many bikes probably do not have reserve tanks or a fuel gauge. I can deal with that.

Is there a way to look inside and visually guess how much gas you have left?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe the petcock is what I'm thinking of.

I have read that sometimes people are almost out of gas when the light comes on though. I just don't want to run out of gas on the interstate or something sometime.

I'm sure if it his a trip odometer I'll learn how many miles I can go on average :)

N

·
0 Posts
CyByte said:
"...Is there a way to look inside and visually guess how much gas you have left?"
Well, you could pop the cap and slosh it around a little, but that's not very precise. On my '01 the fuel light blinks with about a gallon left (~140mi on odo) and goes steady with about a half gallon remaining (~160 mi on odo). The exact values are in the owner's manual.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts