Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
The kits pictured below will allow you to remove your side covers, seat & lift your tank without the use of tools.

The QR Tank Pins are 316 stainless steel. The hairpin cotter pin(s) is (are) made out of 1/16” 316 SS. The washers are 304 polished stainless steel. The lanyard for the cotter pin is nylon coated stainless steel w/ aluminum crimps.

The QR Seat Pins are 316 stainless steel with aluminum washers.

Option #1: Complete Kit - One Pin $30.00
This kit includes 2 Tank Pins, 2 Washers, 1 Lanyard, 1 Hairpin Cotter Pin, 2 QR Seat Bolts, 12 Seat Washers, 4 Velcro Dots, 2 Black Nylon Retainers.

Option #2: Complete Kit – Two Pins $35.00
This kit includes 2 Tank Pins, 2 Washers, 2 Lanyard, 2 Hairpin Cotter Pins, 2 QR Seat Bolts, 12 Seat Washers, 4 Velcro Dots, 2 Black Nylon Retainers.

Option #3: QR Tank Pin Kit – One Pin $20.00
This kit includes 2 Tank Pins, 2 Washers, 1 Lanyard, 1 Hairpin Cotter Pin.

oOption #4: QR Tank Pin Kit - Two Pins $25.00
This kit includes 2 Tank Pins, 2 Washers, 2 Lanyards, 2 Hairpin Cotter Pins.

Option #5: QR Seat & Side Cover Kit $10.00
This kit includes 2 QR Seat Bolts, 12 Seat Washers, 4 Velcro Dots, 2 Black Nylon Retainers.

All prices are for the parts shipped to you in the USA via USPS. All other countries, please add $4 to the listed price.

Payment is through PayPal.
Method #1: PM your PayPal address to me with the Option # you wish to purchase and I will send you an invoice.

Method #2: Send payment to my PayPal address ([email protected]). Please specify which option you would like.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick Release Tank Pin Installation Guide:
Step 1: Remove Side Cover Bolts & side covers.

Step 2: Remove Seat Bolts & remove the seat.

Step 3: Remove OEM Tank Bolts.

Step 4: Prop the fuel tank up.

Step 5: Re-install the OEM bolts. Thread them all the way in to the frame & then remove them. This will ensure that there is no debris in the threads when you install the QR Tank Pins.

Step 6: Thread the QR Tank Pins into the frame. When they are set correctly, there will be a few threads showing between the frame and the unthreaded part of the QR Tank Pin. (I highly recommend that you apply a few drops of BLUE Loctite at this time. This will keep the pins from rocking in the holes.)

Step7: Lower the tank onto the pins.

Step 8: Remove the protective plastic coating from the washers and place them over the pins and check that the cotter pin can be installed. Ideally, there should be no play between the washer and the hairpin cotter pin when it is inserted. Adjust the QR Tank Pin up or down to get the correct fit. Turning the QR Tank Pin by ½ turn increments will move the pin up or down by a ½ mm. It should look like this when you are alligned.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lanyard Installation Guide:

For a single lanyard, for ease of installation, put it on the right side of the bike.

Step 1: Remove both upper and lower radiator mounting bolts. It is not necessary to completely remove the radiator. Removal of these bolts will allow you to move the radiator enough to install the lanyards.

Step 2: On the left side (non bolt side), gently slip the radiator mount off its peg to allow you to place the large end of the lanyard on the frame.

Step 3: On the right side (the side that you just removed the bolt from) you should be able to slip the large end of the lanyard between the frame and the radiator bracket.

Step 4: Replace the radiator mounting bolts.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick Release Seat Bolt Installation Guide:

Step 2: Remove Seat Bolts & remove the seat.

Step 3: Install the QR Seat Bolts with the six washers on each side. Tighten snuggly using a drop of blue Loctite

Step 4: Remove the steel bushings from the seat.

Step 5: Install seat by hooking the rear tabs in the subframe as you would normally. Now pull one side of the seat out to get the seat to flex and slip the hole in the seat over the bolt and washers. Do the same with the other side.

Step 5: Install the side covers

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick Release Side Cover Installation Guide:

Step 2: Clean the surface of the frame and the inside of the side cover were the Velcro dots are to be applied with alcohol or thinner (anything that will remove oils).

Step 3: Apply the Velcro dots. I put the hook side on the frame and the fuzz side on the side cover.

Step 4: Put the nylon retainer through the side cover were the bolt would normally go. The Velcro dot should hold it in place.

Step 5: Install the side cover onto the bike. The nylon retainer will probably push out as you seat the side cover in place. Simply push it into the threaded hole were the bolt previously was. You will feel it engage the threads as you do this.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've got a non-stock subframe and the spacing between the seat mounts isn't quite perfect... any chance you have kits that use pins to hold the seat on, through the bolt head or something? I'd prefer buying from you to stealing your idea.

Also, tank pins for use with risers?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
payment sent for option 2 complete kit for my Gen II SV
Got the $ and I'll have them in the mail tomorrow at the latest. I just checked the details of the transaction and I need you to PM me your shipping address or if it is the same address as what you have listed for 'returns' on your website, just let me know.

I've got a non-stock subframe and the spacing between the seat mounts isn't quite perfect... any chance you have kits that use pins to hold the seat on, through the bolt head or something? I'd prefer buying from you to stealing your idea.

Also, tank pins for use with risers?
I did some playing around with ball lock pins on my bike before deciding on the Frankenstein bolt set up. If you look at the pics of the seat bolts, you'll see that I have an insert in my subframe. That is because I drilled the stock threaded holes out to use the ball lock pins. I wasn't happy with the results. I can help you find some of the ball lock pins if you would like, but I'm not planning on selling kits with them.

As far as the pins that are tall enough for use with risers (3/4"), I have two sets left from a previous production run. I do NOT have any risers for sale though. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
You mentioned you had some for tank risers. Can I buy a set and just throw some spacers on em or do I have to use those custom tank risers that thread themselves in?
These:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/320304537319?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=220542309481&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=WXS?&GUID=e89ac0e612e0a0aa14833fc3ff080e0e&itemid=320304537319&ff4=263602_309572

Cause I really don't like the idea of those anyway.

Would like to get option#1 either way, but would prefer tank risers if available and just based on spacers (i.e. longer pins).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
young-blood:
The Bad News: The risers that you are looking at are only 1/2" tall. The pins I have were made for 3/4" tall risers. After looking at the difference between the standard pins and the long pins, I do not think that there is enough adjustment to make them work. Also, you would have to drill out the risers from SVRacing-Parts so they would slip over the pins.

The (possible) good news:
I am in the process of finding a lathe for where I work. That means I may be able to start producing risers in the next few weeks.

I can sell you a set of regular pins now and we can work out a deal later IF I am able to produce risers or you can wait for a little bit and I can let you know in a couple of weeks.

Please let me know either way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Meh, Don't really know if I need risers anyway. Think I'd need a power commander for my fuel injected bike to get any benefit. I love your idea so I am gonna bite. PM with my address soon to follow.
Option #1 for me please!

1 - 20 of 190 Posts