Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have just put a 2005 SV engine into my Bajaj Tuktuk. It's all running good but, given that I need a working speedo to make it road legal, I need a speedo but I cannot use the speedo sensor on any of the wheels. To get the engine running we have used the whole wiring loom from the donor bike and have installed the SV dash. But not being anyway near a competent auto electrician my questions are, can I use any other speedo sensor (not axle based) and how do I wire it into the existing dash.

Thanks

Oily

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
Hello all,
I have just put a 2005 SV engine into my Bajaj Tuktuk.
So you have an SV650 engine installed in one of these? That is fantastic! :D Please post some photos!!!

... I need a speedo but I cannot use the speedo sensor on any of the wheels.
A good place to install the speed sensor would be at the front sprocket like the SV1000. After that, you will need a speedo-healer to calibrate the MPH/Kph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, engine squeezed into one of those!! I have the speedo sorted now so thanks all, here is
So you have an SV650 engine installed in one of these? That is fantastic! :D Please post some photos!!!
View attachment 53560

A good place to install the speed sensor would be at the front sprocket like the SV1000. After that, you will need a speedo-healer to calibrate the MPH/Kph.
Thanks for the speedo info, got it sorted now....and yes we have squeezed a 650 into one of those....attached are some photos

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
Yep, engine squeezed into one of those!! I have the speedo sorted now so thanks all, here is

Thanks for the speedo info, got it sorted now....and yes we have squeezed a 650 into one of those....attached are some photos.
That is totally awesome! (y)(y)

I want to go for a ride. : -)

Thanks for the photos.

What did you end up doing for the speed sensor and calibration?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not installed yet but I have ordered a Motogadget chromoclassic replacement speedo a Hall effect sensor which will go on the rear axle (plenty of space now!!). You will see from the pic that the sv dash is not really in keeping with the tuktuk, and the motogadget one is a direct replacement for the original (to the left of the sv).

I would send a short vid clip of it running
43.jpg
but not sure the page lets me

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
I would send a short vid clip of it running but not sure the page lets me
That would be great! :D

If you upload the video to YouTube then you can post the link.

Post again if you need any help getting the speed sensor working. Folks here on SVRider often fit aftermarket speed sensors when modifying the front wheel so there is experience here.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I use a Trail Tech Vapor tucked into a Tupper Ware container with some LEDs for oil, low fuel and neutral. Trail Tech has a bolt with a magnet in it that replaces one of the brake rotor bolts which passes by a Hall switch sensor. Program in the tire circumference to calibrate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a Trail Tech Vapor tucked into a Tupper Ware container with some LEDs for oil, low fuel and neutral. Trail Tech has a bolt with a magnet in it that replaces one of the brake rotor bolts which passes by a Hall switch sensor. Program in the tire circumference to calibrate. View attachment 53594
Neat idea replacing the brake rotor bolts, like it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts