Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i just got my bike a couple of days ago and I live in an appartment complex. Do have any suggestions when it comes to security. Should I just do a chain or and alarm system? Any thoughts will help!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
what year?? S or naked?? Where do you live (ie city, state)?? I live in an appartment complex in Whorelando FLA and triple chain my bike thru the rear tire and those are doulbe chained to a palm tree and I always cover my bike at night. Been doing that for about a year and well I still have it. I can view it from my bedroom window, it's well lit and parked next to my car. I do have a storage unit I use, like for this weekend when it's going to rain for a few days straight and I drive the Civic. You can also parallel park the bike inside your space and park your car in front of it to make it harder to get out if want to take it.

Insurance coverage should also give you peace of mind if you have it. But never assume someone won't steal an SV. The newer SVS are very much desired for parts since they are dropping like flies as of late.

:)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
My recommendation would be a long Kryptonite (or similar) cable and a good padlock. Park the bike on the right side of a good, tall post, pass the cable from the left side through both wheels, bring the ends over the tank and seat and around the post. Padlock. Now it's locked well and can't be tipped over. If thieves are willing to go through that then they will get your bike, period. Maybe add a motion alarm.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 5' chain with the New York Disc Lock. Typically the chain goes through one of the wheels (usually back) and around the nearest telephone pole or tree. If there's nothing to secure the bike to then I'll pass the chain through the rear wheel and the subframe before locking it. For light duty security I'll just use the disc lock by itself.

I think the most important thing after locking the bike is to cover it. If nobody knows what type of bike it is they're more likely to move down the street to that new ZX-12 or R1 that's parked outside.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I live in NYC and park my bike on the street sometimes. Disc lock on the front. Square link chain in the rear locked to a metal fence or lamp post and a copver with a lock and cable going over that for the meter maids ;). Definantly don't lock it to a street sign or something that can be cut through easily although the reality is that if a theif wants it, they'll get it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts