Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week a freak thunderstorm rolled through and the skies opened up with extremely heavy rain for a while, while one of my SV650's haplessly sat outside.

Now it's got SV325 symptoms. So far I've drained the gas tank (the gas inside looked milky), and added new gas with seafoam, and checked the spark plug boots and dabbed connectors with dielectric grease. The bike starts up strong but keeps on staying at 1-2k rpm with the choke fully open, and won't go beyond 4-5k RPM when revved up and instead dies repeatedly. Misfiring, occasional backfires. I opened the oil plug and smelled it, but didn't smell any gasoline.

With a bike that sat outside in that rain, instead of being ridden in rain like most SV325 cases, what should I be looking at?

Spark plugs are around 6,000 - 8,000 miles old.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just now got some pipe cleaner and put it through both drain holes, front/rear. Nothing inside, clean.

Just sprayed WD-40 into the ignition hole as well...

Still acting the same - revs better, but still backfiring and stuff. Kept the throttle at 4k rpm for long whiles, too - when I rev up to 5k, it backfires and won't go any higher in revs.

I think the next option is to replace the spark plugs?

If there's any remainder bad gasoline in the carb float bowls, how long does it take to burn it up with revving?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just replaced the spark plugs. I took them out, and the rear cylinder plug smelled slightly like gasoline (dry tho) while the front's didn't.

The air filter looks very clean (de-snorkeled).

The plugs - the top plug was the rear cylinder plug: http://i.imgur.com/1Mn22.jpg

Should I change the oil as well?

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Can you change plug wires separate from the coils? If you've never done those on a 12 y/o bike, it might be time. Dry, cracked plug wires can literally leak spark, causing a misfire.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm doing an oil change now, the oil smelled kind of funky (could be my imagination) so I'm playing it safe in case any gasoline/water got into the oil. When all's done, and the I start up the bike and it's not replying kindly to new plugs and the oil change, I'll go for the wiring.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the bike runs - but not 100%. I can ride it around, and it's not an SV325 anymore, but there's still some electrical hesitation/misfirings here and there. Should I replace the spark plug endcaps only, or is there an entire system that I have to replace?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have kinda hesitant acceleration upon cracking the throttle, which could come from water somewhere in the fuel system. I drained the gas tank twice (the 2nd time, taking the gas tank completely off the bike to shake the hell outta it for half a hour). But I haven't touched the carbs. Would any water be staying in the float bowls, and if so, how do I drain them? (clueless)

I also pulled up the spark plug caps on Bikebandit. Should I be replacing *all* of the following four parts? Or are there specific parts to order? The total cost is $73 for two sets.
CAP,SPARK PLUG
SEAL,SPARK PLUG
SEAL HI TENSION
COVER,SPARK PLUG
(parts 12 - 15 for the SV650 electrical filche)

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
So the bike runs - but not 100%. I can ride it around, and it's not an SV325 anymore, but there's still some electrical hesitation/misfirings here and there. Should I replace the spark plug endcaps only, or is there an entire system that I have to replace?
Typically it's just the caps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, allright - I'll see if the used ones I'm getting are any better, and look around for a new set. Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update to this thread: I finally got a pair of used spark plug caps in the mail. I replaced just one, on the front cylinder, and started it up and rode it again (for the first time in 2 weeks aaaaagghhh). Presto, the SV is whole again. Consider this thread done unless something else relevant comes up. Thanks y'all for the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts