Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first bike was an Sv650 s model, second bike was a 2nd gen Versys 650. I'd go Versys personally. More comfortable and just as fast/fun.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Concerning load capacity for a 3rd gen. SV650, I'm having a blacksmith building a couple of custom designed (by yours truly) frames for side bags, that will integrate with the original Suzuki stirrup for top box.
This will give me a total load capacity of 87/117L (2 x 25L side bags, expandable to 40L each, plus a 37L top box).

Here's a few of pics from the work in progress, will post a complete report at the end of the work.

The nice thing about this all is that I will be able to switch from a completely naked bike to a touring one by tightening/loosening only 4 bolts under the saddle.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good news is I will be sitting on both a v Strom and a sv650 this weekend. If the wee is too tall or unwieldy for me then I will go for sv650. One advantage I do see the sv having over the wee is that apparently the sv is very simple to work on.
The slight problem with the Wee is that you have to remove a bunch of bodywork to get at anything - but apparently it's just a question of familiarity, once you've done it the first time, it's easy. It's a half-dozen Allen bolts and some plastic body clips.

On the upside, as it's basically an SV motor, you hardly ever need to work on it :)

·
Super Moderator
6,865 Posts
I'd say a VStrom would be the choice for you.

You said something about "comfort" and "highway", so the Strom beats the SV.

Meh on the Kawi...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a VStrom 650 XT and an SFV650. I did ride the Kwaka didn't like the ergo's and the gearbox is nowhere near as good as the Suzuki (few are) and honestly the mid range power is what makes the Suzuki 650 motor so nice.

I've done one 2800km trip (over 3 1/2 days) on the SFV650 and it was surprisingly comfortable. I only carried a 40l duffle bag on the back seat but it was a hoot. I've done many longer rides on the VStrom always very comfortable.

For me the difference is:
I ride the SFV650 on shorter, more "interesting" rides, for fun and to improve, and also for around town stuff where it's stop/go. I'm a short arse and it's just easier on the lower bike.
Long rides with gear is for the VStrom where it shines. The amount of gear you can carry on it is amazing. There's so much room while you ride it's easy to be comfortable. It's not a dirt bike, but I don't think any "adventure" bike is, I'm looking at a DR650 for that, if I can reach :) but it handles the road turning to rubbish which sometimes happens when we go touring.

So no answer there but it depends on how you expect to ride. Longer tours - DL650. Short fun stuff - SV650. If I had to pick only one, I'd go with the DL650, which is what I did when I foolishly thought there would be only one bike :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to hear you are taking a safety course, that's easily one of the best things you could do. Those skills will help you no matter what bike(s) you own.

I owned a 2007 SV650N for several years but changed to a 2006 V-Strom 650 a couple years ago. I can't speak to the Versys, since I've never ridden one and I don't know anyone who has.

As far as size goes, I'm a little taller (6'2") and a little heavier (230) than you, with a 33" inseam.

I don't have any trouble flat-footing the V-Strom, but it is a little taller and wider (and heavier) than the SV. That said, the V-Strom is more comfortable (and practical) for any type of straight/slab riding. Don't get me wrong, I hate the slab. But sometimes it is a necessary evil in order to have fun on twisty roads the rest of the time.

It is a little unfair to compare a naked SV in this context. It's obvious it wasn't made for that. It'll do it, but it isn't fun. I've never done more than 100 miles of interstate, at a time, on the bike. It's just too horribly boring. That said, for traveling, I had soft saddlebags for the SV. Easy enough to put on and take off when you get where you are going. I've done plenty of weekend camping trips with 400+ mile days of twisties. Fun in the twisties, not so much on-the-way-to-the-twisties.

So, if you plan to do a significant amount of touring style riding, it's hard to beat the V-Strom. More legroom, windshield, handlebar guards, and removable hard luggage (in my case). It handles surprisingly well, and due to the softer suspension, soaks up in-corner bumps much better than the SV. It isn't a sport bike though.

Everything is a compromise. Riding behind a windshield is never going to be as engaging (?) as a naked bike. Sure, you'll be warmer and cleaner and more out of the wind. But, on a naked bike you KNOW when you are doing 80+ mph.

The SV is noticeably peppier and revs faster. The V-Strom has more low/mid range, but the power levels off earlier. Both are extremely forgiving, fun to ride machines. Plenty of power and great handling.

If you lean towards sport, get the SV. If you lean towards touring, get the V-Strom.

If you have no idea, get whichever one you find the best deal on and try it out for awhile (happened to me).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have a VStrom 650 XT and an SFV650. I did ride the Kwaka didn't like the ergo's and the gearbox is nowhere near as good as the Suzuki (few are) and honestly the mid range power is what makes the Suzuki 650 motor so nice.

I've done one 2800km trip (over 3 1/2 days) on the SFV650 and it was surprisingly comfortable. I only carried a 40l duffle bag on the back seat but it was a hoot. I've done many longer rides on the VStrom always very comfortable.

For me the difference is:
I ride the SFV650 on shorter, more "interesting" rides, for fun and to improve, and also for around town stuff where it's stop/go. I'm a short arse and it's just easier on the lower bike.
Long rides with gear is for the VStrom where it shines. The amount of gear you can carry on it is amazing. There's so much room while you ride it's easy to be comfortable. It's not a dirt bike, but I don't think any "adventure" bike is, I'm looking at a DR650 for that, if I can reach
but it handles the road turning to rubbish which sometimes happens when we go touring.

So no answer there but it depends on how you expect to ride. Longer tours - DL650. Short fun stuff - SV650. If I had to pick only one, I'd go with the DL650, which is what I did when I foolishly thought there would be only one bike

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah this sounds like what I am going to do. Get the v Strom as my first bike and then the sv650 as my second. This motorcycle will be my only vehicle so something like the Strom makes sense, plus significantly cheaper on insurance for me. $500 a years $800.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Glad to hear you are taking a safety course, that's easily one of the best things you could do. Those skills will help you no matter what bike(s) you own.

I owned a 2007 SV650N for several years but changed to a 2006 V-Strom 650 a couple years ago. I can't speak to the Versys, since I've never ridden one and I don't know anyone who has.

As far as size goes, I'm a little taller (6'2") and a little heavier (230) than you, with a 33" inseam.

I don't have any trouble flat-footing the V-Strom, but it is a little taller and wider (and heavier) than the SV. That said, the V-Strom is more comfortable (and practical) for any type of straight/slab riding. Don't get me wrong, I hate the slab. But sometimes it is a necessary evil in order to have fun on twisty roads the rest of the time.

It is a little unfair to compare a naked SV in this context. It's obvious it wasn't made for that. It'll do it, but it isn't fun. I've never done more than 100 miles of interstate, at a time, on the bike. It's just too horribly boring. That said, for traveling, I had soft saddlebags for the SV. Easy enough to put on and take off when you get where you are going. I've done plenty of weekend camping trips with 400+ mile days of twisties. Fun in the twisties, not so much on-the-way-to-the-twisties.

So, if you plan to do a significant amount of touring style riding, it's hard to beat the V-Strom. More legroom, windshield, handlebar guards, and removable hard luggage (in my case). It handles surprisingly well, and due to the softer suspension, soaks up in-corner bumps much better than the SV. It isn't a sport bike though.

Everything is a compromise. Riding behind a windshield is never going to be as engaging (?) as a naked bike. Sure, you'll be warmer and cleaner and more out of the wind. But, on a naked bike you KNOW when you are doing 80+ mph.

The SV is noticeably peppier and revs faster. The V-Strom has more low/mid range, but the power levels off earlier. Both are extremely forgiving, fun to ride machines. Plenty of power and great handling.

If you lean towards sport, get the SV. If you lean towards touring, get the V-Strom.

If you have no idea, get whichever one you find the best deal on and try it out for awhile (happened to me).
I lean more towards slab as this will be my only form of transportation. I want fun in the twisties but I also need a good iron steed to carry me to appointments, business meetings, etc. Strom it sounds like. Should I be looking for a abs model or something that has upgrades suspension?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Concerning load capacity for a 3rd gen. SV650, I'm having a blacksmith building a couple of custom designed (by yours truly) frames for side bags, that will integrate with the original Suzuki stirrup for top box.
This will give me a total load capacity of 87/117L (2 x 25L side bags, expandable to 40L each, plus a 37L top box).

Here's a few of pics from the work in progress, will post a complete report at the end of the work.

The nice thing about this all is that I will be able to switch from a completely naked bike to a touring one by tightening/loosening only 4 bolts under the saddle.

Lol you just wanted to show off your awesome bike. That is an amazing sv in a really cool blue. The design for the rack is Ingenious.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks Ronin, yeah there's a bit of pride (as with all bike owners) in the attached pictures (), but my main intent was to report that up and close to 120L luggage capacity is doable even with a naked SV.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I'm too short for the vstrom, so I set my SFV up as close to
a vstrom as possible. I have yet to ryn into any problems
following my buddy on his vstrom!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I own all three. Can't beat the lightweight of the SV in town and can't beat the 19 inch front tire on the Vstrom on the highway. The Versys splits the difference. What are you going to be the most of?

Where you located? I actually need to sell a couple bikes............

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got an SFV that I'm looking to set up for light touring. Unfortunately, the luggage and rack options are slim, and super expensive. How is riding 2 up on a Gladius? I don't know if I could do that for distance with me and my woman.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I've got an SFV that I'm looking to set up for light touring. Unfortunately, the luggage and rack options are slim, and super expensive. How is riding 2 up on a Gladius? I don't know if I could do that for distance with me and my woman.
My longest haul was almost 600 miles in one day.
That's with the Corbin seat, and yes I was ready
to get off the thing! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Oh and the top GIVI case and rack aren't too bad.
The side cases weren't too bad either, but the SW
Motech rack would not fit with the GIVI top rack.
Don't believe Revzilla on this! I fabbed up my own
side case racks for about $50.

Had to relocate the rear blinkers which wasn't too hard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
600 miles with that set up seems a little long lol. I want to get Givi cases all the way around, but I also want to put on a targa delete kit. The Givi PLX rack bolts to the stock fender. I may be SOL on the combo. The Suck-Wealth motech racks look awesome and would probably work with fender delete kit, but that is super expensive. Then id still have to buy cases. I may try taking a stab a ghetto-fabbing my own rack. I probably could at least break even with the cost of a new rack with some good tools left over.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Also look at SW-Motech knock offs made made by SW-Motech! LOL
Kappa K21 bags. Same as SW-Motech!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am sorry, if state to state riding is more than once a year then do yourself a favor and stick with the Vstrom, it is made for this. It will be very fun still. I honestly can do canyon carving almost as fast on a Vstrom as on a SV. The Sv does look sexyer but the Vstrom is a great bike

21 - 40 of 48 Posts