Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the seating position of the SV650 (my back isn't what it used to be), but I want a windscreen, and I want it to look stock. Can anyone point me to a vendor that makes a nice looking windscreen? Or would I be better off getting a SV650S and installing handlebar risers?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try searching for windshields, windscreens, givi, etc. There have been some posts on this topic.

I debated long and hard before I decided on a naked. I got a Givi a750 windscreen although there are a lot of options out there (buell, national cycle). I also ended up getting suburban machinery bars to lower the riding position a bit. I'm still not sure if I made the right decision as I think my next bike may be fully faired. I think what did it for me was reading that it was a lot easier to go from naked to faired than from faired to naked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i also have back problems. bought the naked. back hurt. bought a lower back belt, back still hurt, installed gen mar risers, that helped. i still stop and take breaks but iat least i can ride. i bought the bike used and it had a windscreen on it. not sure of the make i can send you a pick

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I have the Givi 750 as well. It works fine for me (5' 10"), sending most of the wind and bugs over me at highway speeds. You will still get some buffeting of the helmet, but it's much less than without the screen. It also looks well on the bike.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
I actually converted my '99 SV so that I could run it naked or with an SVS fairing.

It was a headache. There are a number of issues with stuff like the wiring harnesses having radically different connectors, interference problems with the stock (non-S) brake master cylinder hitting the windshield, the uper triple clamp not working with SVS clip-ons, dificulty finding handlebars that didn't cause interference problems with the windscreen or fairing body, etc.

On the other hand.... I'm perfectly pleased with the wind protection and very low noise I get from my Givi A770:

Note that I'm running higher than stock handlebars, too. Big improvement in comfort with my crappy joints (wrists, elbows, and shoulders complain with low bars or clip-ons).

Oh, and you'd be amazed at how much protection you can get from even a dinky little flyscreen. I ran a Buell Blast bugscreen for a couple of years- it directed the wind blast to my upper chest (I'm 5'7"), leaving my helmet up in the undisturbed airflow:

HTH

Bill

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I have back problems too and I have the S model.

This is what is happening so far 4k miles ...

When I ride, it puts my back in a concave position which alleviates a lot of posture stress
that I normally get. I am 6-2 and my arms are long enough where I don't have to lean forward and
ride bent over if I don't want to.

I was going to get the convertibars or helibars but I changed my mind and I am sticking with
the stock S ergos for now. The only thing that hurts is my butt .. the seat sucks big time.
Not as bad as the front forks but almost.

G

·
Deerslayer said:
I like the seating position of the SV650 (my back isn't what it used to be), but I want a windscreen, and I want it to look stock.  Can anyone point me to a vendor that makes a nice looking windscreen?  Or would I be better off getting a SV650S and installing handlebar risers?
See picture below - that's the GIVI A755. It blocks all wind from the chest (I'm just shy of 6') but you do get full wind in the helmet (that's fine- helmet redirects wind pretty well). Peep their other models here...GIV Windshields

·
Registered
687 Posts
i also have a bad back, two dis are slipped in my lower back . i have the svs it's going to hurt no matter what bike you pick i think it's a sports bike ya know? but if you can work on your core muscles it helps a lot i move around a lot on my bike. i also do what Currently does that helps too, he has about 1" on me. i am still think about the handle bar raisers to take some of the strain off my wrist's.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
dackler said:
[threadjack]
What rear seat cowl is that?
[/threadjack]
Airtech. Sadly, they changed the design. I have an early model that uses the stock passneger seat mounting hardware. As I understand it, they eliminated the internal brace that the hardware mounted to, so now you have to attach it with Dzus fasteners or pop rivets or duct tape or something. ::)

Bill

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Sambo01 said:
bmetz99 where did you get ur rear seat cowl? I like that one because it looks like the TL's cowls and most every other ones don't flow that well with the rear of the bike.
Lucky for you, he anticipated you asking this question, and answered it in the post prior to yours.
;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is my '00 Nekid with a Givi 240...I love it and the blue matches great!  It also comes in clear, tint and smoke...

·
Registered
20 Posts
How hard would one of the early designs, such as ur own, be to come by? How much $$? Sorry that u've probably heard these questions, but i saw one on a TL and wet my panties and urs is the only one i've seen on an SV.

·
Registered
415 Posts
how do the universals mount on the motorcycles?

I want to find one that is easy to take off and on, I would only want it when I ride on the hwy with my wife. other than that, I would like to go without it.

I am converting my first gen S model to naked though (keeping the handlebars from the S model) and I bought Nudists dual lights.
Would the 240 work? Are there many options for my situation?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts