Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am considering purchasing a 2008 sv650. However, Ive heard something about the sv motors knocking? Also, are these bikes reliable for the long term? Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've heard nothing but great things about the SV's reliability. I know of only one person that had a problem, and he had a SV1000, and even then the guy didn't do anything other than change the oil and drop the bike for 40,000 miles.

Foxracer

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The only reason an SV motor would know is if the owner did something to cause it.

Many people here have gone 30k, 40k, 50k, and even a couple over 100,000miles on their SV.

In other words, yeah they're reliable.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have 20,000 on my 2005 and I only ever change the oil and tyres. I'm real happy with the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I remember correctly some of the 2003 bikes had knocking issues, but it was resolved in later years. I can't remember where I read that, though. Also keep in mind, do to the way the engine is setup prolonged wheelies will starve the front cylinder for oil, resulting in... knocking (or a blown engine).

The engine on the SV is used on many other bikes, it's very robust and has a huge following and support base. One of the reasons I decided on the SV was the -lack- of major issues most people have. It's generally considered to be a very solid motor with a long life span.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am considering purchasing a 2008 sv650. However, Ive heard something about the sv motors knocking? Also, are these bikes reliable for the long term? Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
knock.... some people describe some of the noises that SV's make as knocks

the SV engine does make a lot of noise, its normal, thers a lot of rotating and reciprocating parts, minimal extra crankcase mass to absorb sound energy

I put 135k on my SV, nothing more than routine maintenance, the noises change, and come and go, as the cam chain tensioners take up cam chain slack

the video/soundclip below is my SV with 130k+ miles, it had been sitting in wekk below freezing weather for a couple weeks and was in the mid 30's the day I made the video, what you hear is what it sounded like for well over 100,000 miles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dycrfqUCU-4

right at the end, it started pouring rain on my tin roof barn

·
Registered
26 Posts
dude I have had one of my svs for years and treated it like absolute **** and it still runs perfectly. I think they are excellent bikes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I did it today. I traded my 05 z1000 for an 08 SV650 and I LOVE IT! Its so much fun and I love the torquey little 650. Im very happy with my new bike and look forward to putting many miles on it.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Congratulations, You'll love it. My 02 with 38,000 miles is the most reliable vehicle I own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts