Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main ride is a 2005 GL-1800. Two months ago I picked up a 96 Magna VF750C for a second bike. If the Gold Wing is a Cadillac STS (luxury with attitude) the Magna is an MG (quick & nimble). I love both for different reasons. You can cruise all day on the Wing yet carve curves in style. The Magna is a fun ride, up to 200 miles. It's light and has plenty of power. The main thing I don't care for is the cruiser style feet forward riding position.

The Magna has me thinking of a sports bike. I'm not sure my corpulent, stubby body (29 in inseam) would cope well with the rear pegs and clip on handlebars of a pure sports bike. I'd like something with plenty of power (i.e. quicker than the Magna), good ground clearance and a short rake where I sit upright with my feet under my butt.

A friend suggested an SV650, not the SV650S, becuase I'd sit up straigher on the SV650. I've looked at and sat on one and like it.

At this point, not having ridden one, I'm concerned with the SV650s power. While the Magna can give a Valk a good run, it gets its arse kicked by my GL-1800. How does it compare with a Magna VF750C?

I am also considering an SV650S with ConvertiBARS (or similar). I like the plastics on the S.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to the board!

You may not believe me but I'm 18 and have an SV650S and a GL1500 goldwing.

I think you'd love and be comfortable on an SVS.  Go for the fairings though.  I ride with a guy with an 1800 who drives very aggressively.  Taking off from a stop sign, the SV650S can blow a goldwing away (gotta love the 11,000 redline).  Through the twisties, the SV is alot more fun (than my 1500, anyhow). 

As far as touring comfort, after about the first year of breaking in my butt and wrists, I was used to riding 10 hour days and only stopping for gas and food.   Most think your back will get sore, but that isn't the case.

If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me.  Also, check out my Sharksinz fairing (the link in my signature)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
03-SV650RR said:
You may not believe me but I'm 18 and have an SV650S and a GL1500 goldwing.

I think you'd love and be comfortable on an SVS.  Go for the fairings though.  I ride with a guy with an 1800 who drives very aggressively.  Taking off from a stop sign, the SV650S can blow a goldwing away (gotta love the 11,000 redline).  Through the twisties, the SV is alot more fun (than my 1500, anyhow). 
I believe you and applaud your good taste.

If the 650 can blow away an 1800 off the line that answers my question on power.

The 1800 is fun in the twisties and surprises a lot of folk that see it as a Geezer Glide. I can't begin to ride it to it's limits but check these out
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Riding-the-Dragon-Part-One
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Riding-the-Dragon-Part-Two

I know I love riding the Magna in the twisties - so much it's gotten me thinking about move bike - lighter, faster, nimbler.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah its all about power to weight. The new SVs only have about 70hp, but they also only weigh about 350lbs. And the way they are geared they get up and go very quickly. An SV should give you plenty of excitement.

Go test ride one! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think you'll find the 650 low on power. I'd recommend trying both the naked and the S. Seating position changes a lot of the character of the bike.

And as for speed, it's more about the rider (of course). I remember being spanked on the Kancamangus Skyway by someone 2-up on a GoldWing. I was riding my FZR400R. I think while he was passing me he was changing a CD and getting something out of the on-board microwave ;D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ripley said:
The 1800 is fun in the twisties and surprises a lot of folk that see it as a Geezer Glide. I can't begin to ride it to it's limits but check these out
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Riding-the-Dragon-Part-One
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Riding-the-Dragon-Part-Two

I know I love riding the Magna in the twisties - so much it's gotten me thinking about move bike - lighter, faster, nimbler.

Those guys in the video are pretty wicked smooth. I love how you can hear the big beast scraping the ground. It's amazing to see what people can do on those things.

Your Goldwing would definately toast an SV on the highway but at lower speeds the SV has plenty of get-up and go. Should be way more flickable than your Magna.

-josh

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Newdriver said:
Those guys in the video are pretty wicked smooth. I love how you can hear the big beast scraping the ground. It's amazing to see what people can do on those things.

Your Goldwing would definately toast an SV on the highway but at lower speeds the SV has plenty of get-up and go. Should be way more flickable than your Magna.

-josh
That video is retarded :( Makes me feel kinda dumb for having bought the SV ;D

Kidding aside, that is pretty neat and they look like they're moving pretty quickly. However, I'm sure it's much easier to push on of those cruise ships to the limit than it is the SV.

Josh

·
Registered
238 Posts
Enjoyed the videos. I would not have imagined the Goldwings could be that quick in the turns. :eek:
Like the other cat said, It was a hoot hearing you scape 'em in about every turn. So do those big bastards wear you out after a day of that?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those videos were awesome.  Now I know why they call you guys "wing nuts."   ;D  Looks like fun rippin' it up on the two wheeled Buick.   ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love the knee hanging out as you throw the goldwing over in the corners. I'm sure you made some guys on their sport bikes look twice. ;D
Awesome videos, I'm going to have to send them to a buddy of mine whose Dad has a Goldwing, ask him if he rides like that...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Ripley, welcome to the sv forum! I recognize your post from twtex.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
That video is retarded :( Makes me feel kinda dumb for having bought the SV ;D

Kidding aside, that is pretty neat and they look like they're moving pretty quickly. However, I'm sure it's much easier to push on of those cruise ships to the limit than it is the SV.

Josh
Damn you Josh you will have to get a new name.

-josh

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Y'all wrote: "I love how you can hear the big beast scraping the ground" and "It was a hoot hearing you scape 'em in about every turn. So do those big bastards wear you out after a day of that?"

First it wasn't me riding like that - only in my dreams and hopefully, my future. The guy in front is Yellow Wolf, the guy on the second bike, shooting the video is Fuse.

On another forum Fuse wrote:
"Dragging was just my pegs and exhaust covers, sometimes my engine guards, which I didn't like."

Here are his pegs:

Fuse continues:
"He was pulling away from me for two reasons, he has ridden that road for 21 years now, and he leans off the bike like a sportbike and is smoother in the corners. I was giving it throttle like 2/3 - 3/4's of the way through the corner and he gives it about 1/2 through. Once he gave me some pointers I was sticking with him pretty good. The next time we ride the video will be much better."

And no, The Beast doesn't wear me out. It's quite easy to handle and light in it's own way. Think Cadillac STS - luxury with attitude. Riding back from Chickasha OK where I bought it, after starting at dark-thirty in 18 degree dawn and riding 400 miles of back roads, I took it on FM-390 from Burton west of Navasota then 1155 south to Chappel Hill - 55 miles of scenic twisites. It was marvelous - the most fun I'd ever had on a bike. I especially liked waving at the Harleys as I passed them.

But it still is a 900 lb bike - nearly 1200 with my fat arse, electronics (XM, iPod, GPS, cell phone), cooler, extra gear, tooks and the capuccino machine. The Magna feels MUCH lighter, mostly because it is at only 500lb.

I've started thinking about a SVS. I like the look more than the SV. I figure I can put ConvertiBARS on it if the seating position is too agressive. Someone told me I might be able to change the foot pegs and levers to those for an SV. Is that possible?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Novadesigns said:
An SV should give you plenty of excitement. Go test ride one!
I'd love to test ride one. Any ideas how to do that? Dealers around Houston don't allow that and I don't know of anyone that rents them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Take a ride up to Ontario, Canada and you can ride mine!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Ripley said:
Someone told me I might be able to change the foot pegs and levers to those for an SV. Is that possible?
Yes - it's a straight swap. All you need are the pegs and the correct shift rod. You might be suprised how comfortable the stock SVS pegs can be for a shorter rider, though. Give 'em a chance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it's great when good riders really push those big bikes. at a trackday late last year i guy i pitted near had brought his FJR1300. he had no problem overtaking on the straights and really cranked it over hard in the corners. not only did he grind his pegs, but also his exhaust -- all the way up to the cannisters! :eek: he posted pics afterwards to the NESBA board. it was very impressive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts