Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy one of the SV bikes over the next few weeks. I currently ride a Yam FZ6, and am not happy with it as it has a very revvy engine, I normally do not end up riding in the poweband which is frustrating, so I have decided to go for a SV which will end up letting me use the bike?s powerband. I really like the weight of the SV650 and the price, but am a bit worried about power, I ride a few times a week to and from work on the highway, about 50 miles and I have heard that in this situation the 650 might be lacking, is there really truth to this?

As for the 1000, there are still a few 03 out there for not much more than a new 650, and I know the suspension is better, and obviously the power. But I really would like the lighter weight of the 650.

Some help please?

Cavi

·
Registered
39 Posts
I started with the 650 and had an opportunity to get the 1000 about 3 months later and went for it. I wouldn't or couldn't go back to the 650. It took a while to get used to the extra weight and lugging power but it takes getting used to with any bike. The 1000 rpm's 6th gear @ 60mph = 3600 THe 650 rpm's @ 60 = 4500. You might want to consider that if you like to keep the r's down. As far as weight I put on a 2-1 exhaust and that dropped about 20 pounds. But if weight is a huge issue for you, get a 650. Have you ridden a "heavy" bike before?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Inline 4's suck.Most of the time youve got to rev them to make them work.Twins tend to rock every where.Thats why the sv rocks in traffic.The 650 wont have any problem with your 50 mile commute but it is a bit revie do to the low gearing.Unless your a smaller person the sv1000 wieght shouldnt be a major obstical.What about a FZ1.Good tourqe but once again it needs to be reved to make it work.It is a big FAST couch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a 2000 SV650S and I also commute about 60 miles on the highway. If you like, as I do, to be a lilttle faster then traffic, then go with the 1000. The 650 didn't have the comfort level I liked to get in and around highway traffic. I love the SV1000S.

As far as price, you should be able to pick up a left over 03 for NO MORE than $7000 Out The Door. That's including: tax, title, dealer prep, etc. I got mine in August 03 for $6910 OTD.

M

·
0 Posts
Cavi ,

In Oklahoma , incase you live close to there , is a Zuki dealer with a new 2003 SV 1000S . It's 6300.00 out the door .

Does that help you decide ?

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get a 1000 but theres not much info on the net about modding them and thats primarily hat I want to do with one .

I might just buy a Superhawk , mucho info on the internet about those and engine modifications .

Tik Tok :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an FZ1 and an SV650. The FZ doesn't need alot of revs to make torque. Anything from 3500 rpm up and it pulls hard, in fact I'd hazard to guess it pulls as hard(or close to it) as an SV1000 up to the midrange then blows it away to the top. Way faster than the SV650, but not as much fun to ride.

P

·
0 Posts
Agree.....

I have to agree with Canuck on that one. The FZ is a great bike and takes very litttle effort to get going....

The Svs are great bikes, but not in the same category as the FZ.

Owning one of each covers almost all aspects of riding. Fz with great acceleration and comfort and the SV with amazing handling potential.

Perry

N

·
0 Posts
Man, I don't know what speeds you guys run on your commutes, but I run 80 -90 (traffic speed+5) and the 650 has more than enough juice for the job.

More HP would yield faster acceleration (no $hit!), but if your rate of closure is too high the cages won't see you in time.

E

·
0 Posts
I agree with choosing the 650

Power is addictive but no matter how much you have you get used to it if you ride much.
I have seen tripple digits in short spurts so often it does not empress me much anymore and even though it is indicated and speedo error it is fast enough.

40 lbs less weight makes a hudge difference in fun factor
better gas mileage
cheaper tire replacement
No engine bearing problems
No can on the chain side
special V-twin racing class
better resale value not to mention 2K cheaper to buy
cheaper to insure
Ain't many that are going to leave you behind in the twisties and straight a ways are booorrriiinnnggg
Probably better aftermarket support because there are more out there.

The choice is your my friend but it is obvious to me.

Y

·
0 Posts
EZGZ said:
I agree with choosing the 650

Power is addictive but no matter how much you have you get used to it if you ride much.
I have seen tripple digits in short spurts so often it does not empress me much anymore and even though it is indicated and speedo error it is fast enough.

40 lbs less weight makes a hudge difference in fun factor
better gas mileage
cheaper tire replacement
No engine bearing problems
No can on the chain side
special V-twin racing class
better resale value not to mention 2K cheaper to buy
cheaper to insure
Ain't many that are going to leave you behind in the twisties and straight a ways are booorrriiinnnggg
Probably better aftermarket support because there are more out there.

The choice is your my friend but it is obvious to me.
+1 - As far as weight goes, how much do you weigh? There are many on this board in various categories and for those who enjoy the SV for all its worth, power complaints are low IMHO.

F

·
0 Posts
I personally own a 650s and love it. ive had a chance to ride a friends 031000 and given, it is fun to twist the throttle in the straights...sorry bit of a squid in me trying to escape i guess. anyways...prolly a little of it is the fact that im not used to it...but i like the 650 better, and im not that small of a guy, i weigh right at 200, but i did change the suspension, very cheap and easy to do. power is just fine, i would go for the 650 without a doubt

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it would be fun to Borrow a sv1000, but for daily riding the SV650 is just too balanced. The only short comings I would say is the top speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually think the suspension on the 650 is better than on the 1000. I think a little quality, or set up testing, was traded to meet a pricing point. The 650 suspension is excellent, despite what the magazines say, while the 1000's is very good. This is based on a 2000 650 and a 2003 1000S

Charlie

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you really are worried about highway speeds you could put a smaller rear sprocket on put it'll take away the acceleration. IMHO, buy the 650, you'll like the lug factor to the twin compared to spinning the inline-4, but for that long of a ride you may want a taller windscreen with either the 1000 or the 650. Other factors involved would be your weight, preference of riding when not commuting (straight-line or twisties), reliability (+1 for the 650), availability of online help when you have a question, the 650 didn't get this much exposure for having a bad rap, mainly a bunch of guys who have to ride to work and like to have fun with it on the weekends.

I'll shut up now :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 650 has more than enough power for the hwy. My 1000 has way too much power for sane street driving. That being said, I'm keeping the 1000 and getting a day pass for the local nut barn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
unless u weight like 200 pounds, the SV has enough highway speed. I weight around 155 and do the highway no problem. all i can say is i love my 650, but i can see why people might consider a 1000. Those two exhaust pipes are awesome!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have both. i love both. but the 650 feels like a toy compared to the 1000. i'd take the 1000 most any day over the 650.

B

·
0 Posts
I had the 650s, then traded it in for the 1000s. The 1000s takes a little time getting used to after riding the very nimble 650. I wouldn't mind having another 650 for stunting/trashing but I'll never trade in the 1000 for one. 650= light and fun. 1000=serious and fierce.

·
Registered
235 Posts
EZGZ,

What are the engine bearing problems on the SV1000? What model yrs does it effect?

- I found info on the bearing problem.

B

·
0 Posts
The SV1000SK5 is available in Oh-so-sweet black on black on black.

It makes me quiver and I may have to get one at the end of the season.

I am 240 and the little 650 is hauling me around just fine, but I am investigating the 1000s...black.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts