Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have been lurking both R1150R and the SV650 forums for quite some time now. Pretty much these are the 2 bikes on my short list.

My needs are to commute to work (both on the slab and in the town backroads) for a good protion of the year (7-9 months depending on the wether in the north east). Occassional grocery trip, errands to post office etc. Rare long/overnight trips. About 15% of the time, my wife will also sit on the rear seat.

I am 30, have been riding since I was 14. First bike was a 100cc air cooled single Honda in India. The first bike I owned was also in India - Royal Enfield Bullet (350 cc air cooled single) for 3 years. For the past 5 years I have Suzuki LS650 Savage (650 cc air cooled single). I have put over 25K miles on all of these put together. About 12K of these here in the US on the Savage.

Touch chrome: No accidents/falls while on road except for a small one in India.

I have sat on both of them. I intend on taking a test drive sometime soon on the R, but jap dealers do not offer test drives here at all :-(

Keep in mind that the R costs about twice as much as the SV. But I can afford both. I hope ...

My question is which of these bikes would you think will suit me better?

Or is this a silly question and I should just buy the ...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
rear seat on the sv is completely worthless

Based on your info.. I vote BMW. :)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Mm, wouldn't say it's worthless for pillions... But I'd be surprised if the Beemer isn't better. IIRC there is- or was- a smaller engined version of the Rockster which was compared very favourably to the 1150. I recall a couple of very respected journalists raving about it...

Also, Fazer thousand... Don't know if you've considered it. And new Triumph Sprint ST.

·
Registered
381 Posts
SV vs 1150R

My Mom has a R1150R

the SV is faster then it and much lighter/handles better

the BMW has great brakes and susp. though

My brother says the seat on the SV is more comfortable for him then my moms R1150R or any of my dads bikes

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have 25k riding experience and you want a naked performance bike and have a BMW budget...?

Try riding that and let us know how it goes...! :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Two very different bikes. I'd love an R-series for long trips, especially if you are taking a passenger. On the other hand, the SV is easily the better choice for tight twisties - it's light and nimble, yet torquey.

If I was willing to pay for a new Bimmer, I'd take the same amount of money - or even less - and buy a good used example of each. My next bike will likely be a sport tourer but I'll keep my SV.

·
Registered
551 Posts
imo...two different machines. made entirely different. ones a jap bike :D , and the other is a finly tuned, expensive german rocket :D , id take both...if i could. but want i really wna tis the new 1200r!!!!OMG! i goo my panties when i see that thing! but that my thought...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Background:
Bought a new `94 R1100RS when they came out. Put 90k miles on it and gave it to me son. He and his SO are still travelin' on it. Replaced it with an `02 R1150RS. Put 25k on it and bought an `05 FJR. (Don't much care for the EVO brake system on the post-`01 boxers, very wooden, non-linear feeling.)

As much as I (and my wife) enjoy them, when I want to go out and really blow out the cobwebs, the `01 SV650 is my choice.

Besides, I got tired of the funny looks and smartazz comments when I took the R1100RS to track days...

·
Registered
47 Posts
after putting 2k miles on his BMW and having the 'motronics' go out, a month in the shop, then looking at the maintainence cost of the required valve adjustments (uh yeah, adjust the valves and check the gas) my dad decided that he is probably going to sell the BMW.

$.02 for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
in the past few year, I have rescued more BMW bikes on the side of the road than even hardleys, mostly older ones and I had a zip tie or piece of duct tape that got em going again, but a couple of newer ones too.

if you ask me BMW bikes are not made as well as BMW cars. I kinda want a 1200GS, but I have reliability concerns compared to a Vstrom

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you can afford the BMW, then why not go for the SV1000S instead? I think that would bea far superior bike to the BMW for everyday riding. IMO, the BMW's are far more complicated than they need to be. Cool looking though!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RandyO said:
I kinda want a 1200GS, but I have reliability concerns compared to a Vstrom
One neat thing about the R12GS is the CAN buss system. If you have a short, it's easy to find since there's only one wire...

·
Registered
38 Posts
BMW has yet to make a bike that looks good IMO. The new 1200 super naked bike is no exception. Have you seen it from a side angle? The wheelbase looks as long as a car! No thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As somebody who own both a BWM ('03 K1200GT) and an SV650S ('05), here's my thoughts:

The SV650S is a blast. It's a fun ride, and does what it is meant to do really well; namely, hit the twisties. I can't imagine doing a long ride on it though, and my wife would never ride on the back of it (I've replaced the pillion with a cowl, and aced the rear pegs when I put on a Holeshot highmount).

My GT is exceptionally good at what it is for; namely, sport touring. I'd stack it up against any other sport tourer out there, and I've tried a lot of them. It will alos double fairly well as a pure sports bike, though it is long and heavy, so it is some work going quickly in the twisties. I have never had better relationships with any other dealer than my local dealer (Fresno BMW). I heard bad things about only one or two BMW dealerships. I can put my wife on the back and go for the weekend easily.

If I could only have one bike, the BMW would win hands down. I'm blessed to be able to have both.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts