Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was part of this forum way back when I used to ride. It's been a while but I know how much love this bike gets here. I have had my 2002 SV650 Naked stored in my parents garage for several years .... yes, several years. It still looks good but I'm afraid to open her up. What should expect for a bike that has been stored for so long?

some storage details
  • stabil in the tank (some air in tank)
  • oil was changed prior to storage
  • battery was removed
  • stored in interior part of garage on front and rear stands
current details
  • lights turn on when battery is hooked up
  • doesn't start (as expected)
  • condition of oil unknown
  • gas smells ok (not too skunky)
I still love this bike but it's a shame for it to be sitting in a garage. I am debating whether to get this bike running or just parting ways with it.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
It's junk. For $20, I'll take it off your hands. To be clear, you pay me :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
6,869 Posts
Change all the fluids, check chain condition/adjustment and lube, check date on tires. Best to replace them if they are 5 years old or more.

I'd drain the gas and add a fuel system cleaner to fresh gas. Check the airbox and filter.

Sounds like you need to replace the battery. You may need to go through the carbs if it doesn't run with fresh gas.

Doesn't look bad. Definitely worth doing the work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Change all the fluids, check chain condition/adjustment and lube, check date on tires. Best to replace them if they are 5 years old or more.
The tires are definitely over 5 years old but have only around 10k miles on it. You still suggest changing?

·
Super Moderator
6,869 Posts
The tires are definitely over 5 years old but have only around 10k miles on it. You still suggest changing?
Yes. As Kenneth noted, tires deteriorate from age, not necessarily miles.

Even if they had 100 mi on them I'd still suggest a new set at that age. Tires are one of the most important items on the cycle when it comes to safety IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got my bike after it had sat for a unknown amount of time and was not starting.
Things it needed included, fuel flush, oil change,new plugs, clutch lever switch, a new choke cable and corrosion cleaned from carbs to free choke pistons. fork seals.
Then it started and ran well.
But not long after the rec/reg died causing big expensive electrical failures. So I say get one of those to.
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Clean tank out. Fuel filter please. Junk will be in your tank still. Run the bike, change it, ride it again, change again. Cheap insurance on not getting your carburetors messed up...after cleaning those also. Oil is still oil, still change it of course. If it starts with the old oil, heat it up, it will empty more then cold old oil.

Reactions: okmogwai

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But not long after the rec/reg died causing big expensive electrical failures. So I say get one of those to.
hope this helps
thanks for the feedback. yes, the possibility of electrical issues is what i'm dreading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would pull apart every electrical connector and check for corrosion and clean with Switch/Contact cleaner. Rust never sleeps including contact corrosion.

I also treat all my block connectors and bulb holders with ACF50,

thanks for the feedback. the possibility of electrical issues is what i'm dreading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the great feedback here. My buddy and I are going to start the clean up and troubleshooting work this weekend. I'll keep you posted on what I find 🤞

1 - 15 of 15 Posts