Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chat on a few BBSs. One in regards to a Porsche I am trying to restore, one regarding of course my SV, and one regarding modding my daily driver Miata. I have noticed that many guys on the Miata BBS have pointed out the high high numbers of guys on the Miata site who also have SVs. I have never seen it mentioned here. Their debate over on the miata site is that this is a popular combination b/c nowhere else can you get as much sport bike bang for your buck as with a SV and nowhere can you get as much sports car bang for the buck as with the Miata. With about $3500 in bolt on mods I now have a Miata that is a Mustang, Camero, 350Z, etc...eating machine (in the first 3 gears anyway). Vise versa with less than half that amount in mods I have a SV that I think handles and rides better than many much more expensive bikes out there. Does anyone on here also have a MX-5 much like many on the Miata sites have SVs. I chat as coolbeverage there incase any of the guys from the Miata sight have made it over here as I have encouraged them to. PS....the folks on this site are far more cool, less arrogant, concerned and fun to chat with than either of the other two sites I go to. SVRider rules.....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ronlarimer...very stealthy looking car. You have any mods on it?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Kevin said:
ronlarimer...very stealthy looking car. You have any mods on it?
FM sways, Racing Beat Springs, Koni Shocks, Hard Core Rollbar, 6pt harnesses and some interior dressup stuff (white guages, chrome trim rings, voodoo knob, black clear coated trim, start button, etc)

·
Registered
498 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
Where is the car and how much?
Columbus, OH and my dad wants the 1st crack at it. when it goes it will include much of the stock stuff that has been moded, including the stock rims and a set of mounted snow tires. It is a 2000 with 51k miles and I want $9500.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Niceeee mods.....autocross solo 1 solo 2?

·
Registered
336 Posts
i agree with the handling of the miatas and sv's, but i believe the best bang for the buck belongs to DSM's(eclipses,lasers,talons). The turbo ones ofcourse. These have been my vehicles of interest for a while now, i'm 19 now and have owned 2 turbo awd talons and 1 fwd turbo laser. my '90awd cost me 1200bux and with a total investment of 1500(including car) i ran 13.10 @ 103mph on pump gas and 17psi. I run mid 12's with my '95 talon and originally had 5000 in it, i'm sellin that car for $3500 now and will be sellin the laser with a rebuilt motor for around 1200.

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1 on the DSM's.
I've owned 4 in every turbo and non turbo variation. ESi, TSi, & TSi AWD. Very fast cars, and relativley cheap to mod.
And just like the SV, a ton of performance and OEM parts from other cars can be swapped into them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My GF has one.... I love that car for much of the same reasons why we love the SV... All the power where you need it and it is just fun and performs well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lets not forget dependability. I had 2 RX-7s before the MX-5 and even thoguht I loved the RX-7s they sure bleed me dry on parts and labor, plus I was in college and had no $$$. Then I got the MX-5 and I have driven that car from NC to CA a couple times and basically all over the place. Never once even hinted toward letting me down. Same with my SV which was even stolen and abused to god knows what ends and still runs strong at 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ron.. that garage is huge.. is that a 3 car garage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2001 LS, no performance mods as of yet. I think the Miata is more like the Ninja 250 of cars, unless you want to give that title to the original Mini.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kevin said:
With about $3500 in bolt on mods I now have a Miata that is a Mustang, Camero, 350Z, etc...eating machine...
It's Camaro, but anyway, "eats" them in what sense, other than autocross? Just curious because I like all kinds of cars, but I don't see a stock Miata running with any of the big boys in a straight line wihtout a few more $$$ being thrown its way. What did you spend the $3,500 on?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Miata was/is the best thing to happen to sports cars since the 240Z!

DSM cars are OK, but fwd architecture, pretty heavy, and can't beat Chrysler turbos for bang for the buck. You too can be in the 12s for $1200 (or less)!

I'm *still* waiting for a modern-day 240Z:(

Til then, I'll continue to whup up on Z06s, Vipers, Cobra replicas, 911 turbos and the like in my '71:)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I guess I could have went with the Miata, but I chose to get some real handling for my dollar.  ;)

It has TRD Exhaust, springs, short shifter, ect. AEM cold air intake and Monkey Wrench Full Computer.

Zoom Zoom my A$$!  ;D

Just kidding guys. Don't try to hunt me down and kill me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
DanB said:
Miata was/is the best thing to happen to sports cars since the 240Z!

yep. I miss my Z

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No I dont mean autox I have a BRP supercharger, engine management, Adj. Tokicos, ACT clutch, and a few other minor things and yes I mean in a straight line I have smoked the big boys as you called them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts