Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my lady is wanting a ninja 500 as opposed to a sv650 due to the weight, height, and power differences.

But, her insurance quotes for the ninja are coming up nearly twice what mine are on the SV. And my driving record is at least 4x worse than hers.

Why is this?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Rates aren't just based on your driving... also the odds of that bike being crashed, which is researched by the number of crashes on that bike in the past. Thank a squid

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are insurance rates based on the cc, the type of bike/engine, or the number of crashes/deaths incurred on each?

EDIT: I see what you said there.. I just answered my own question when I reread your post, paulie.. I will have her call and get a quote on an SV.. Although I will feel quite intimidated if my lover drives a bike just as fast as mine..

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm sure all of those things are taken into the formula, as well as your driving record and credit history (which is stupid, not paying your bills on time doesn't mean your more likely crash)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd also shop around for insurance... there are a few threads on here that tell of insurance quotes others are getting. But, those are probably 95% quotes for an SV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sure all of those things are taken into the formula, as well as your driving record and credit history (which is stupid, not paying your bills on time doesn't mean your more likely crash)
"Say, Hypotheticly... If a guy was riding a Motorcycle to mail his payment and Crashed..."
"BRILLIANT BOB! Lets add-on extra based on Crashes and Fatalities sustained by each and every motorcycle of its type! Mwhahahahaha! Brilliant!"
"But... I was just going to say that'd suck..."
"Oh, Looks like I get the credit for that idea then. Owned, Bob. Owned."
"****er"

?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was just floored when she called to tell me she couldn't afford insurance on a bike smaller/slower than mine. Doesn't make sense at all. I will post on this thread what the difference is on a SV later this evening. It will definitely humor me to find out..

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Say, Bob... Hypotheticly... If a guy was riding a Motorcycle to mail his payment and Crashed..."
"BRILLIANT BOB! Lets add-on extra based on Crashes and Fatalities sustained by each and every motorcycle of its type! Mwhahahahaha! Brilliant!"
"But... I was just going to say that'd suck..."
"Oh, Looks like I get the credit for that idea then. Owned, Bob. Owned."
"****er"

?
That was super confusing the first time I read..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
This may be inconsequential but when I first interested in buying a motorcycle i wanted a zx6r ninja. When I called, the insurance was way outa my range and I asked why. Age, type of bike, etc and the funny thing was that she said that the word "ninja" was a big insurance bumper as well. I'm guessing its due to the, squidly, fast and furious nature of some owners? dunno...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
At Safeco, the SV isn't considered a sport bike (maybe because of the V-twin engine?). In fact, it was the same as my wife's C50 (800cc cruiser). But the displacement, type of bike, cost, driving record, etc. are all rolled together to come up with a number.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Actually, I know Color can be another extra bumper on Insurance pricing. Forgot about that.

I mean, Duh. Everyone knows Red goes faster. Right?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So she called another major insurance supplier. Geico gave the over 900 quote. Progressive gave her a reasonable right-at-500 quote on the ninja 500. She asked about an SV650 from progressive, and the price difference was 6 dollars. I can't remember which way it went.

These quotes are liability only. yearly rate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
jeez, i pay 400 a year and have just about the highest coverage you can get including gap insurance...........im probably over insured on the bike to be honest.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wow, those quotes are high. I pay $380 a year for a Daytona 675 and an SV650 with Geico, with two riders on the policy, liability only, we're both 26.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the weight difference between the ninja 500 and sv650... the ninja is something like 10 lbs heavier. She wouldn't happen to be under the age of 25 would she?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Being a guy and 18, insurance sucks for anything.

Farmers will NOT insure me.
Geico wanted 75 a month liabiliity.
Progressive is 36 a month.

Progressive was by far the cheapest from anyone.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
My Ninja 250 and SV650 (with 6000 in additional aftermarket coverage) are the same price through Progressive - I pay about 90 a month for both.... multi bike discount, multi policy - rough driving record, full coverage with excellent coverage amounts.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
the mere mention of the name "Ninja" automatically reflects on a mean, street, green, machine.

Early in the 90s most sport bikes were associated with the term "Ninja".

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
It was cheaper to insure my Z1000 then my Husky 610 or my 04 SV

1 - 20 of 31 Posts