Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SV650 front cylinder failure

Just had a look at my neighbours 1999 sv650 said he was having problems with the front cylinder cutting out mostly it was caused by water been thrown at it from the front wheel. When he came to remove the spark plug he found it had corroded in place costing him a lot of cash to get the dealer to fix it. He has now fitted a piece of stainless plate from the bottom of the radiator to the top of the cylinder head. Doesn?t look to bad but I bet it could be improved. I cant put a photo on here to show you.
I will need someone to host it for me.

The question is do others suffer this problem and how did you solve it?

Also if I made something like the stainless plate would you want one?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Coat the spark plug boot and the surrounding area with dielectric grease. You can find it at Pepboys or the like.

Grav.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I wanna see it. Post up the pics. If it looks superpimp, you know I would buy one. :D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Common first-gen problem. Not all suffer from it (mine doesn't) The fix is dielectric grease and/or a guard.

I believe second gen 650's come with a molded plastic one installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yep, the 2 nd gens have a black plastic splash shield hanging of the rad. A good solution many of us first gen owners use is the Fender Extenda from Holeshot.com. It simply blocks the water from getting to that part of the engine and keeps crud/dirt off the engine too.  ;D

G

·
There is a drain hole for the recessed spark plug hole. which allows the water, if any, to drain out. (the boot on the top is suppose to prevent the water from coming in but suppose to and does are two diff. things) Anyway, this hole can get clogged up with dust, dirt, whatever and not allow the water to drain out immediatley. Find the hole and clean it out with a pipe cleaner. I believe it is on the right side of the bike???
Just a thought

1 - 6 of 6 Posts