Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken the MSF class, and was going to buy a Honda Hawk, until the seller told me he did not want to sell it to a beginner. So, I know the SV is a lot more power then the Hawk, but is the bike something that a beginner can handle?
Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's possible to handle the SV. But definitely not the safest way. I'd go the route of a Ninja 250/500 or GS500. Develop your skills on there and then go for the SV.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started off with a Buell Blast. It was a great "beginner" bike. It was a nice cross between sport and ease of use. Ive been riding it for about two years and Im finally looking for a new bike. I think Im going with an SV now, but only after I developed my skills on the Buell. The GS500 is also a good beginner bike but I didnt like it as much as my Buell. Plus the Buell is practically bullet proof. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i started with an sv650 as my first bike, imo its a great first bike, lots of power, enuff for beginners but also enuff for experienced riders to throw around

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Please,work your way up. All of the riders, that have been riding for many years did. :D Yes it's possible,but not the best idea to start on a SV. Just a old riders advice :lol:

·
Registered
786 Posts
My first bike is my current SV650s and IMHO, the sv might be a bit much as a first bike. But it might also depend on the rider too. I would work you way up. I would also strongly suggest a street legal dirt bike. Learn how to ride one of those well and you'll be ready when it's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There's no yes or no answer to this question.

Its totally dependant on things like your natural ability, how long you've been driving a car in traffic, your maturity and decision making, your confidence level, and to a lesser extent your physical size. Also consider what kind of rider you want to be. Most top riders will tell you that the less HP you have on your first bike, the faster you will be in the long run.

It?s not an ideal beginner bike for most, but it?s not a horrible choice either. It doesn?t have enough power that the slightest mistake will high side you into oblivion, but a very sloppy right hand will still launch you. The steering geometry isn?t so aggressive that it feels nervous and twitchy, but it still requires a deliberate and aggressive hand. And make no mistake, the S version is a sportbike?low speed handling is nothing like the bikes you rode in MSF.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A dealer won't sell you a honda hawk??

The V-twin, single sided swingarm hawk??? that bike is a great all around bike, for veterans and begginers. unless you are talking about a nighthawk 750????

Anyway, if it is indeed a honda Hawk,. buy it somehow, I will always be kicking my own ass for not picking one of those up new when they first came out. :evil: :x :x

Same as the GB500, had a chance and pissed it away :oops: :cry:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO I would start off with a 500 and work your way up. That is what I did and I feel it has made me a much better rider.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You could do alot worse than a sv650 for your first bike. I would still not reccomend it. Its kinda the option I talk people down from a 600ss bike to. a ex500 is a better bike to start.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I started with a SV.

And my girlfriend is starting with an SV.

It's all about using your head and what your comforatable with.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am new and started to learn on an SV...
My friend who took the MSF with me is on a Ninja 250... He rides tons better than me! he is more willing to take risks with his bike do to it being lighter and requires far less of a learning curve.

As for your question:
is the bike something that a beginner can handle?
For sure if they are smart about it. I am doing fine and picking it up rather well I am told by many long time bikers whom I am friends with.

I personally think that if I could go back, I would have gone smaller. When I ride my friends 250 - It really is totally easier. I can lean and take turns that on my SV I don't think I will be able to do for some time. Perhaps it is all a mind thing, but the truth is you really will have far more skill in a year from a smaller bike than a year with something bigger.

Can you handle this bike? What kind of riding appeals to you? Does 130 down the highway make you excited? DO you want to race every light? - Those who exercise self control will do better starting out on a big bike. Simple fact is that this bike has lots of power that can leave you in a tight spot that a 250 would have not.

I was bitten by the lust for this bike and this bike only? still am; thus, I was unable to think clear about getting the REAL right bike for me. I do not regret buying, I just know that it will take more effort on my part to become a better rider due to trying to start with a SV. If you are not yet set on a bike, go with a used ninja and sell it in a year. If you do it right, you should make money on the bike!! No joke ? everyone I know has been able to do this!

With any bike for that matter, ride safe and have fun! Welcome to the family!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone starts with something different... my first streetbike that I owned was a CBR600... But for most that would be a bad choice IMO... I have nothing but good things about people starting on GS500's and moving up to SV's if they still want one. Good luck in your choice, and I hope you make a good decsion for you.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
a USED bike is the best for a first bike, a new sv isn't a good choice, if you must get an sv, look for a used one, i started with a gs500 and later got the sv, the sv isn't bad but isn't ideal either, it will still bite you in the butt if you do something wrong, a CHEAP used bike is the best cause you can turn around and sell it for what you paid for it

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm unclear here, are we talking an NT Hawk (early 90's) or a Superhawk? And are we referring to an SV1000 or a 650. Big differences there. No dealer should be turning a newbie away from a Hawk. Those bikes are awesome. It'd be a perfect 2nd bike for my wife and a great starter bike. The SV 1K would be an awful first bike (as would the superhawk).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bmudssa said:
A dealer won't sell you a honda hawk??

The V-twin, single sided swingarm hawk??? that bike is a great all around bike, for veterans and begginers. unless you are talking about a nighthawk 750????

Anyway, if it is indeed a honda Hawk,. buy it somehow, I will always be kicking my own ass for not picking one of those up new when they first came out. :evil: :x :x

Same as the GB500, had a chance and pissed it away :oops: :cry:
I'm almost certain he's meaning a SuperHawk 996....I can't see a dealer shying away from a Hawk for a new rider.

I'm learning on an SV650S and so far it's been a great bike, I absolutely love it! That said...If I had to do it all again I would go with a GS500 or something similar to that. The SV is quite forgiving of a lot of mistakes but they're still scarier on that bike than I think they would be on something a shade smaller.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
First of all he said Seller not dealer which would lead me to believe it was a private seller. Second of all a beginner can handle it however it may not be as forgiving as something a lil smaller when YOU make a mistake...trust me on this one i speak from experience :lol:

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
my SV650 was my first road bike.I did however have a ton of dirt experience.But the SV is a fairly light bike and is powerful,you just have to be careful at first.i guess it all depends on what you feel comfortable with.I've heard a mess of good things about the GS500's as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The SV650S is my first bike and so far so good, however I am a bigger guy, and I plan to use it for a commute evenutally about 45 miles each way to work, otherwise I would have bought something smaller. I will say though I have made a few mistakes with it and have paid a bit of a price, nothing to serious, but it was enough to rattle my nerves for a day or two. But that was a little while ago and as a beginner I am feeling quite comfortable on it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The SV is my first bike, but I grew up riding dirt bikes so it felt natural. I also took the MSF class. IMHO if you have the same expeirence as me, the SV should be fine, otherwise it could be a stretch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts