Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I have a question. I'm new to the street bike community and had a SV offered to me at a great price. After buying it I realized it needs a new drive chain. Anyone know where to get a chain pretty cheap? Or know the specs because we have a small shop in my town and i could possibly order one there. Any help you guys can give me would be great! Thanks Andrew!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it is still stock sized chain and sprockets, should be a 525 108 link chain, prices vary by brand and length and width. Stock sprockets are 15 tooth front and 45 tooth rear. Hope this helps.

-Tyler

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If your chain is worn, that means your sprockets are probably worn as well. If that's the case, you're gonna need to replace the sprockets and chain together. Otherwise, putting a fresh chain on worn sprockets will quickly wear out your new chain.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I just ordered new sprockets and a 520 chain from SvRacingParts.com. You can go with the stock sprocket setup 15/45, or select the gearing of your choice. The only reason I ordered is you got both the chain and sprockets, and I ordered a 17/44 setup, which most companies didn't have in stock. I feel it was a good deal, was $177 shipped.

http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#ecwid:category=453978&mode=product&product=1650720
Same "kit" pieced together on eBay:
17T sprocket $21.85 shipped
44T aluminum sprocket: $55.21 shipped
EK 110 link 520 o-ring chain: $78.94 shipped
$156 to your door.

Nothing against Blair since he ships fast and has good advice. Just showing the cheaper route.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
In case you are confused about 520 vs 525 chains and sprockets, they are different pitch chains. The stock chain is a 525 pitch, 110 link O-ring chain with matching sprockets. This is really a beefier chain than is needed for the SV's power, but it will last a good long time. Some people install 520 sprockets and chain because there is a weight savings of maybe a few pounds, especially if you go with an aluminum rear sprocket.

You will see companies selling X-ring chains...these are just a variant of O-ring chains, either kind works. Unless you have a chain breaker tool or if the sprockets have other than stock teeth, you want a 110 link chain.

Most people recommend a rivet master link, not a clip type. If you buy an EK brand chain you can get an EK screw-type master link and will not need a special tool to rivet the master link. By all accounts, they work as well as rivet masters.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
If it is still stock sized chain and sprockets, should be a 525 108 link chain, prices vary by brand and length and width. Stock sprockets are 15 tooth front and 45 tooth rear. Hope this helps.

-Tyler
stock length of nekid's chain is 110 links (nekid has a slightly longer swingarm)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a 108 link 525 I hope this will work. I know I should have probably waited for better response but I was eager to get it back on the road. Also Thanks for all the feed back guys. I didn't expect this kind of detailed and quick response. All this info is greatly appreciated! I'm glad to know this forum is actually a friendly and helpful one. Thanks Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I ordered a 108 link 525 I hope this will work. I know I should have probably waited for better response but I was eager to get it back on the road. Also Thanks for all the feed back guys. I didn't expect this kind of detailed and quick response. All this info is greatly appreciated! I'm glad to know this forum is actually a friendly and helpful one. Thanks Andrew
Do you have a naked model (SV650) or a semi-faired model (SV650S)? The SV650 needs a 110 link chain, the SV650S uses a 108.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ordered a few thing's from him, it was the same or less in the end as ebay, and didn't have to wait on anything to get wrapped up and hope it got shipped and got the correct part.
If you read the entire post macguyer, I ordered a few things from him, the price in the end was less thru him, over getting everything separately off of Ebay( I checked both the totals before I ordered anything). Are you done yet? There is always guys like you on every site...Unreal. And I have already met two of them on here.
Now that I had to defend myself on someone else's thread, because some know it all doesn't want his ego hurt. Maybe we could let the original poster get the questions answered he is asking..To him, I am sorry for that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts