Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

SV650 carburetor

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Crusty Snippets 
#1 ·
The fuel in my 650 went flat from sitting to long.
Now has fresh fuel, drained carbs and bike is running, but no giddyup.
Suspect the mid or high range jet is plugged.
Can the jets be removed with the carbs in place or do I have to remove the carbs first.
Bike is firing on both cylinders as both pipes get hot.
Thank you for any help. I promise not to do it again.
Crusty Snippets.

#3 ·
If you have an aversion to removing the carbs completely, you can loosen the carbs from the boots and rotate 90deg to get to the float bowl screws to remove the bowls. You would want to drain the bowls first. It's possible, just a bit awkward and tight.

#7 ·
I agree with you Rich, but the OP wanted to know an alternative to pulling the carbs. You don't need to separate the carbs, there is enough slack to loosen the carbs, pull them off the boots as a unit and rotate. I have done this once but not to get to the jets. Personally, if you are afraid to deal with disconnecting the throttle cables to work on the carbs, you shouldn't be working on your bike. Keeping the enricher plungers connected is also a pain when rotating the carbs. Once you remove the carbs for the first time and successfully re-install all the cables and hoses to working order, you won't be disinclined to do it again. It's not that difficult.

#11 ·
I read the initial post as doing that with individual carbs rather than removing the pair and rotating the whole assembly.

#13 ·
Thank you for the info men.
I will remove both carbs as a unit if possible.
Have to admit the old British junk was easier to tear apart.
The forward sparkplug is not the easiest thing to remove.
And changing jets at the track would be more than a five minute job.
Unkle Crusty

#16 ·
Re: SV650 carburetor update

Removed the tank and all the hoses.
Both carbs came off together and I was able to remove both float bowls.
Blasted everything with air and reinstalled.
Also drained the fuel tank, sloshed some fresh gas around and drained again.
Cleaned inside the fuel pump as well.
Suzu is now running again.
Had crappy brown streaks in the flat gas.
Thank you all for the help.
Bike will be sold next week, but I still have the XS11 Yamaha and the SV1000.
Unkle Crusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.