Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum but have had an SV1000S since Sept. 1, 2005. This is my first motorcyle and I am quite happy with the bike.
I have 2 friends that both have 05 Kawi 636 and one with a 07 CBR 600rr. I like my bike the best. I only mentioned this to give you an idea that these bikes are my only frame of reference when it comes to riding motorcycles.
My main observation over the last few years of being involved with the motorcycle culture is the the SV650 has a great reputation of being a overall great bike with excellent riding characteristics and great handling. However, I have noticed the SV1000 does not really have the same rep. It gets almost no coverage in the mags, and not much respect on the street.(my experience anyway) My question is, is the 650 really that much better and why?. Is it the bang for the buck factor, or because it is a smaller bike that make it easier for new riders, or do people just have greater expectations of a bike with a 1000cc displacement. I would love to hear some opionions on this, and appreciate any feed back . Thanks alot , and so far I have to say that this forum is the best.

· Registered
551 Posts
bang for the buck, moddability/customization, wayyy more production of the 650 than the 1000, no naked sv1000 here except for 2003 (i think?)

nice light weight, certainly adequate power for the street, and it doesn't require rossi-level skills to be able to exploit it

but if one is rossi-skilled the 650 can be tremendously fast... but such is the case with most bikes :)

· Registered
8,679 Posts
Seems to me the SV1000 is an under-appreciated bike that never quite shook off the stigma of its star-crossed predecessor, the TL1000. More important is the fact that you're "quite happy" with yours.

· Registered
990 Posts
There was a Cycle World article in the past year, year and half, in which the SV1000S was described as under appreciated and largely ignored by the riding public and press. The author also said it was one of the better bangs for the bucks in the market.

I debated getting a 1000 in early 2005 but the only one available in my area was a 2004 N model. I was drawn to the black frame and wheels of the 05 over the silver (silly I know) and I got a good deal on a 650S.

There were just a few motorcycles on my list — all V-twins — when I went shopping. Top was the SV line, followed by the Honda 996 Superhawk and then the TL1000R.

My decision came down to what suited me best in terms of all around use and cost. If there were a '05 SV1000S available at the time, I'd probably would have gone that route.

I think ultimately the 1000 is in a class size with more choices and it gets lost in the shuffle for the attention of the general motorcycling public.

· Registered
42 Posts
i think when you're in the sv1000 price range, you could get a supersport 600 that handles better, and almost the power. advantage of sv1000 is sport touring capability but then it competes with VFR.
i've only ridden a 1000 on the highway... no real chance to push it.... it seems like a great all around bike. but for 3 grand less, i like my 6fiddy.

· Registered
9,975 Posts
Everyone i have talked to has said that the sv1000 is a better bike then the sv650. the reason the sv1000 doesnt have the rep of the 650 because there is other bikes like the sv1000 like the TL1000, Honda Superhawk and rc51, and DUC's.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
There was a Cycle World article in the past year, year and half, in which the SV1000S was described as under appreciated and largely ignored by the riding public and press. The author also said it was one of the better bangs for the bucks in the market.
I was going to mention that article too. I believe the title of it was "The Best Bike You Didn't Buy". The review was very favorable.

However, I've heard/read several times that the SV1000 doesn't handle quite as well as the 650. I don't know if it's because of more weight or the chassis geometry isn't quite as good or what. I talked to a guy at Deal's Gap who was on an SV1000 naked and I asked him how he liked it. He told me that he had "upgraded" to the SV1000 from an SV650 and that he'd actually rather have his old 650 back. He said that the 1000 obviously had more torque and was most definitely faster in a straight line, but that the 650 was much better for "this kind of riding" (ripping through the gap). He said it was just more "tossable". That was just one guy's opinion though. I've never been on an SV1000, so I can't speak from first-hand experience. I guess like always when you're comparing bikes... which one is "best" just depends on how/where YOU like to ride. If you're "quite happy" with yours, then I'd say get out and enjoy it and don't worry about it.

· Registered
42 Posts
I was going to mention that article too. I believe the title of it was "The Best Bike You Didn't Buy". The review was very favorable.

However, I've heard/read several times that the SV1000 doesn't handle quite as well as the 650. I don't know if it's because of more weight or the chassis geometry isn't quite as good or what. I talked to a guy at Deal's Gap who was on an SV1000 naked and I asked him how he liked it. He told me that he had "upgraded" to the SV1000 from an SV650 and that he'd actually rather have his old 650 back. He said that the 1000 obviously had more torque and was most definitely faster in a straight line, but that the 650 was much better for "this kind of riding" (ripping through the gap). He said it was just more "tossable". That was just one guy's opinion though. I've never been on an SV1000, so I can't speak from first-hand experience. I guess like always when you're comparing bikes... which one is "best" just depends on how/where YOU like to ride. If you're "quite happy" with yours, then I'd say get out and enjoy it and don't worry about it.

wouldn't anyone who's done the 180 rear wheel conversion lose that "tossable"? narrower tire = quicker turn in. but less traction at higher speed.

· Registered
5,789 Posts
YES, once you fix the suspension

· Registered
105 Posts
I think its all in what you're looking for. The SV1K is a lot better for two-up riding, or if you're going to outfit the bike for sport touring. It does cost substantially more than the 650, but you get a lot for your money. It would **** well take a lot more than $3000 to get the 650 to make as much power as the 1000. And the 1000 does make a pretty good platform for a track bike if you want to run in those classes. It doesn't have the aftermarket support of the 650 for engine parts but you could argue that it doesn't need it, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than racing a Ducati 749 or BMW twin.

I'm coming to the SV after a few years with a Kawi GPz1100 and I'm going with the 650 for a couple of reasons. First, the GPz taught me that I get bored on a bike that I can't explore the limits with. I had more fun wringing the neck of a EX500 than I ever did on the GPz that made 2 1/2 times as much power. Second, I want a bike that I can play around with in the garage and the SV650 is one of the best bikes in any class and at any price for tuning and modifying. But if you're not into those things, then it's just a 70hp bike with crappy suspension and a low price tag.

qball said:
wouldn't anyone who's done the 180 rear wheel conversion lose that "tossable"? narrower tire = quicker turn in. but less traction at higher speed.
Probably, but not because of the extra centimeter or two in tire width. Most of the difference in feel has to do with the increase in weight with the wider wheel and tire. Adding three or four pounds of rotating mass will really change the feel of the bike at turn in. It also slows the bike when accelerating.

There isn't much difference in the size of the contact patches between a 160 and a 180. If you're lighting up one under power you'll probably smoke the other one, too. What the 180 offers is the ability to get the bike over another degree or two. On the street they're just a fashion statement.

· Registered
838 Posts
As far as the "tossability" of a smaller bike vs a larger bike, there are many, many more factors than just the size of the rear tire. Another big factor is the reciprocating mass inside the engine. There is a pretty significant difference in the recpirocating mass of a smaller engine vs the bigger engine and that also makes the bike want to turn in less or more. Look at the 600s vs 1000s. They have very similiar weights and even close to the same tire sizes, but when you have more engine parts/mass moving around, it make a BIG difference in 'tossability" Especially when you consider that all those calcutions have powers squared and cubed in them, it makes a big difference. I know my explanation isn't as good as others could do here but I hope I get the point across.

· Registered
112 Posts
for me the difference when I bought my second SV was price and cost of insurance. Although it is a 1K it doesn't have that HUGE of power compared the the liter I4's. But insurance companies don't always know that sort of stuff. So I again chose for $$$ reasons to get the 650 again. Not that I've been disappointed, just I wanted to stick to sv's and get something new. If they ever put out something like a 800 or so SV i'd jump all over that also.

· Registered
52 Posts
We got new bikes when we moved to the left coast a year ago. First used bike we found (right bike, right price, yada yada) was a 650S. Got it for the other half and started looking for a SV1K for me. I rode that 650 a fair bit and started to question whether I wanted an SV1K after all.

Went down to visit my brother in LA and spent some time with his SV1000. Came away from that with a new mission: "first 'right' bike at the right price, whether SV650 or SV1000, I'm buying it."

Found an 03 650S in cherry condition, low miles, good price so I bought it. and have never looked back.

I've been riding for 30+ years, and did a fair bit of racing may years ago. I can say without reservation tha I luv luv luv my 650S. I'd be happy with an SV1000 too, bu I have no regrets at all about riding the 650.

The 1000 comes out of the box with a better suspension, and tons more hp/torque. For two-up, you gotta have the big boy. I do two or three week-long touring trips eery year, and have been perfectly happy with the 650 for that.

I don't know that I could say I'd be faster through any particular tight section on one or the other but my 650 is *easier* to do canyon carving with.

All that said, the SV1000 is, IMHO, a vastly under-appreciated machine. If you're happy with it, no reason to switch. None at all.

· Registered
399 Posts
I did a lot of debating/searching before I decided on my 1000. I had the budget to get pretty much anything obtainable (minus the exotics like Ducati SS, etc.) I looked at Superhawks, RC51's, SV650s, and of course the SV1000S. I guess I fell in love with the fact that few people ride the 1000, and I have never seen another Grey Metallic like mine on the street. Its sad that few people followed suite, because it suffered the same fate as the TL.

· Registered
7,369 Posts
650 better? No. Different, yes. The thou's a superb bike, on paper far better than the 650- stronger engine, better suspension. I don't personally like it as it's not the sort of bike I enjoy most, but it's still ace. I think it lost out because some people wanted a new TL1000 and the rest wanted a 650 with 110bhp, the thou turned out to be neither.

· Registered
621 Posts
40 more horse and a cartridge front fork certainly sound like a good case for going for the 1000... The 650 is my first bike, but I'm not above admitting that I'm *really* curious about that much more power, but with the torque and tractability of the 1000 still being a v-twin.

Hey NeedySV, lucky for me one of the colour options for the K7 SV's in Canada is Metallic Grey - I totally love the color! :D

· Registered
165 Posts
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. You get to thrash and flick the 650 in a lot more situations than the 1000, and it's fun doing so. The 1000 is better for touring than the 650, especially 2 up or if you weigh over 200.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.