Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an SV650, I'm a short gal at 5'3 and after an hour or so of riding I can't feel my hands and my wrists hurt. I want to put bar risers on as the standard bar height is too heavy on my hands. But I'm not sure how to fit them or what type to get. I've phoned round the bike shops and no one deals with sv's for risers. I've attached a picture to show the top yolk and the bars. If anyone has any suggestions? Bare in mind.. I'm not rich, just need a simple solution. Thank you

·
Registered
512 Posts
Unfortunately raising the clipons is never really cheap. You can do an S to N bar swap (expensive because you need brake lines and other stuff) or go with aftermarket adjustable clipons (also expensive because the manufacturer knows raising clipons is a big market and there is money to be made!). This topic is covered pretty much all the time here and I would say the cheap end is about $300 going up to as much as you want to pay.
A cheaper alternative would be shaving your seat down a bit. This would have a similar effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's such a shame. I was going to get another bike but this one is near and dear to my heart so I thought I'd make some adjustments instead. Il see about getting the seat scooped I think. If not, it will have to go 😒
Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
512 Posts
At 5'3" you are definitely at a disadvantage just because the SV is a relatively long bike. I rather doubt your issue is so much the height of the clipons as it is how far they are from you. Hopefully dishing out the seat makes an improvement. Generally, when people have this complaint it comes down to a posture/riding position conversation involving a combination of tank grips, good handlebar grips, and knowing how to hold yourself on the bike with your legs and core rather than weight on your wrists. If I were you I would work on those, but like you're saying... 5'3" is just short. No offense ;) but a shorter-wheelbase bike might be a better place to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I completely agree! And no offense taken 👍
I do already quite often use my legs against the tank to take some weight off my wrists, I mean I'm a slim Jim so it is the length that's half the problem . It's not bad for short fun rides but for long distance it's a no go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have a trawl though eBay, you should be able to pick up the bits to do a bar conversion cheap enough. Yoy will need to trim the screen. Once you can fit 'normal' handlebars then the riding position changes are easy. Mine was done ages ago, I will ride 350 miles in a day easy, no discomfort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's such a shame. I was going to get another bike but this one is near and dear to my heart so I thought I'd make some adjustments instead. Il see about getting the seat scooped I think. If not, it will have to go 😒
Thanks for your reply
I'm converting to handlebar because the clip-ons are too uncomfy. What I plan on doing is drilling directly into my triple tree for 7/8th inch risers. Maybe you can do the same to spare a buck and keep the bike, If you're still figuring out what you gotta do I'll keep you updated once mine come in the mail

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm converting to handlebar because the clip-ons are too uncomfy. What I plan on doing is drilling directly into my triple tree for 7/8th inch risers. Maybe you can do the same to spare a buck and keep the bike, If you're still figuring out what you gotta do I'll keep you updated once mine come in the mail
The conversion above is just that, after market risers bolted on to a drilled stock yoke

·
Registered
512 Posts
...and drilling a stock yoke, tossing on clamps and a bar is the cheapest part of the conversion. Anyone with $50 and an ebay account can do that. The homework comes in with longer brake lines ($100) and longer throttle cables (these can be relatively cheap if you go used, $50 or so if you buy new). Then you have to figure out how you want all the controls to mount up (master cylinder reservoir, new levers or your existing ones, switchgear etc.) Like HC brought up, you need to check clearance on the fairing too. This will not always require trimming, depends on your bars.
My point being: the bars are the cheapest part of the conversion. I have a drilled stock 'S' top yoke with clamps and a bar collecting dust in my garage because of this. Granted, my lines and cables are longer than stock so I could make it work now, but I like the clip-ons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts