Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a brand new SV650 2 years ago and I have loved riding the thing. However since day 1 I noticed that the powder coating on some of the powder coated pieces has been patchy. I emailed my local dealer at the time and they said to bring the bike in. But I ended up forgetting about it for a while as I had assumed it was just going to be a cosmetic thing.

I noticed last year just how bad it was getting so contacted my suzuki dealer with some pictures of the bike (included below) and they brushed it off as being a maintenance issue... I ended up leaving it for a while and decided that I would try and contact suzuki directly again and just received a response from them saying the same that its not a manufacturers fault because it has occurred on multiple pieces...

I have also spotted under the little plastic fairing piece just above the engine that the paint is now flaking off the frame there too... I'll have to get a picture of that again when I get time to remove that.

The bike is 2 years old with less than 10k miles on it, I also have it on record that I contacted the suzuki dealer within the first couple of weeks to notify them that there was an issue... Yet Suzuki won't honor their warranty.

It has been used in some rain when commuting, however is stored under a good quality cover and is a well looked after bike. So maintenance isnt the issue!
I just thought I'd make a post to warn other potential buyers that are looking at this bike and comparing it to the likes of the XSR700 and Street triple. If you can then spend the little bit extra on those bikes. It's worth spending a little more knowing that if something were to go wrong then at least your manufacturer would take care of you.

I have been quite lucky to never have to deal with a warranty claim on any of my other motorbikes as I look after my bikes, however I did have an issue with an alloy on my BMW 1 series... Without question BMW replaced the alloy at no cost... this is how all manufacturers should be!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The frame is rusting and the paint is bubbling now. If it were just cosmetic I wouldn't be worried about it!

Those pictures are from when the bike was 1 year old... the frame is taking a beating now which is my biggest concern as that will cause problems

·
Registered
57 Posts
It sucks to see that but not surprising. Pretty much every MCN review I have read on the SV650 has stressed corrosion being an issue on UK roads.

A whole section on it here:
On the 1999-2005 SV650:
"The build quality of the Suzuki SV650 is fair but expect some corrosion and furring of alloy surfaces if you ride through winter." (SUZUKI SV650 (1999-on) Review | Speed, Specs & Prices)

On the 2018+ SV650X:
"Suzuki’s build quality is always called in for question and fasteners and nuts and bolts show signs of corrosion quite quickly if not cared for with anti-corrosion spray." (SUZUKI SV650X (2018-on) Review | Speed, Specs & Prices)

Personally, I was well aware of it before purchasing the bike, and regardless, I always spend a couple of hours spraying a new bike with ACF-50 as soon as I get it and once a year thereafter after a thorough clean. Agree that covers sometimes do more harm than good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Based on your comment that the bike was stored under a cover makes me think it was stored outside with a cover on it. If that's the case it's still exposed to the temperature and humidity. On warm sunny days after a cool evening there will be added condensation under the cover contributing to the harsh environment. There are several products on the market that prevent rust, use one on the painted surfaces occasionally. I have a couple of bikes in the attached garage and a couple in the shed (watertight) with the lawn equipment, the ones in the shed need more attention than the garage. My son keeps is motorcycle in a covered area but not as watertight as the shed and he has even more challenges.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would let the warranty claim go and get busy undoing damage. Clean and/or repaint all contaminated areas, find out why this has happened to your bike, correct it.
I would be surprised if Suzuki or the dealership did anything to help you regarding this issue.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My 2000, which I bought new in 2000, started showing some small rust pits on the bottom triple clamp within a year. The clear coat on the fork tubes starting looking pretty bad within 6 months.

Then again, every motorcycle I've ever owned has been freeway driven. Between high speed collisions with bugs, damp or rainy weather, etc., the front end and wheels just take a beating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The paint on my 2019 SV650X's tank is stupidly thin and has chips from who knows what. I agree that your powdercoating looks pretty damn shoddy after only two years, and I wouldn't blame the owner covering it.. My Honda spent two winters in Minnesota covered up outside to no deleterious effects. Suzuki quality is lacking, and it is commonly known.... It's a good thing they're such great bikes to ride, otherwise...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had my 2019 for 11 months and 10,000 miles as of today. It still looks showroom perfect. I live where there is no winter salt on the roads, it's in a garage, and I clean the bugs off it if every time I ride it. I haven't actually commuted in winter slop on any bike in 35+ years of riding. I don't hate cars that much. If I was going to expose a bike to winter salt and slush I would buy a used beater for that and save my nice bike for better weather. For quite a few years I did the same with cars. Looking underneath a car exposed to winter salt would not lead me to believe a motorcycle would survive it corrosion free.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same experience as Rwortman. This is my second sv and both show no signs of poor quality control in outer appearance of the bikes. Live in sacto ca, no salt and mostly ride in fair weather. I will say in changing out fork springs and oil there was a little surface rust on the fork tubes where the triple clamp connects. Wiped both triple clamp and tubes with wd40, as good as new..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts