Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might buy an SV650 of a guy that left waterwetter on it over the winter and it frooze, what type of damage am i looking at to fix the engine, and how much in parts and labor? How unusual is it for the freeze plugs not to function properly and how much is it just to replace those?

Sorry for the newby question.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Did it crack the case anywhere?

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it runs with new coolant, I'd let it idle a bit while watching and listening for anything out of the ordinary, then ride it, then watch it idle again afterward. If I didn't see or hear anything unusual, I'd buy it, but that's just me.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I wouldn't buy the bike period. Too much risk.

If you must, and the price is absolutely dirt cheap, take it to a shop and have the radiator pressure tested before buying the bike. This will find any significant leaks in the radiator, the upper part of the crankcase, the cylinders and the heads. Any of those parts could have cracks.

Even pressure testing may not find small cracks that could open up when the engine heats up, so see if they'll do both a hot and cold pressure check.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So anything can basically go wrong. Just depends on the amount of coolant that was on the bike? The bike is dirt cheap, thats the reason for getting it. I haven't seen it in person, but im getting it for the after market parts.

I guess i can try what andy suggested, anyone have a more viable solution, or a way to test it? This bike will be riden hard (raced) if the engine is fixed...or needs to be fixed

·
Registered
785 Posts
ask Ben Probst.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't buy the bike period. Too much risk.

If you must, and the price is absolutely dirt cheap, take it to a shop and have the radiator pressure tested before buying the bike. This will find any significant leaks in the radiator, the upper part of the crankcase, the cylinders and the heads. Any of those parts could have cracks.

Even pressure testing may not find small cracks that could open up when the engine heats up, so see if they'll do both a hot and cold pressure check.
How exactly does this pressure testing work? Any dealer will do it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
BAD...my rommies R1 is in the shop being completely torn apart because he did the same thing...looking at one hell of a bill.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I might buy an SV650 of a guy that left waterwetter on it over the winter and it frooze, what type of damage am i looking at to fix the engine, and how much in parts and labor? How unusual is it for the freeze plugs not to function properly and how much is it just to replace those?

Sorry for the newby question.
Most likely just the freeze plugs popped. A search here will turn up info on that.
If it's cheap enough go for it.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
So anything can basically go wrong.
For me it would depend on how I was going to use it. If used as a track bike or local driver, and if the price was right, like *really low*, I might go for it. If I were planning on taking any type of trips with it I would stay away.

Even if nothing ever goes wrong, I'd hate to have it in the back of my mind all the time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah this would me my Super sport bike, i already have a superbike. both would be svs

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Auto repair shops or bike shops can do the pressure test. What they do is pressure up the radiator and see if the pressure leaks off. It is not a fool proof test, even if done hot and cold.

Where was the bike? How cold could it have gotten?

And I've seen freeze plugs popped out of engines that were still full of cracks.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I personally wouldnt touch it unless it was so cheap that i could pay to have another engine put in, and still be ahead of buying the same bike in top condition.

Could be a cool project bike though...but it needs to be like $200-600 before i would touch it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Auto repair shops or bike shops can do the pressure test. What they do is pressure up the radiator and see if the pressure leaks off. It is not a fool proof test, even if done hot and cold.

Where was the bike? How cold could it have gotten?

And I've seen freeze plugs popped out of engines that were still full of cracks.
St Lois pretty cold!

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that "freeze out plugs" are only there to fill the holes left during the casting process. They are not designed in as a get out of jail free card if you do a dumb thing like letting your coolant freeze.

You'd have to do a lot of analysis and make other compromises to design in reliable freeze protection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts