Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I about to buy my first bike. The ad, what im interested in, mentions "A" and "AL8". Could anyone tell me what does "A" mean? Whats the different between AL8 and AL9? Whats the different among 2017, 2018 and 2019 models?

Ive seen guys talks about ABS and non-ABS models. How can i make sure if the bike has ABS when im searching ads?

I watch a 1year old /march 2018/ bike with 8000miles. It seems a bit too high for a year, isnt it? Why would anyone sell a "new" bike who ride it so much? Any thoughts about it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The AL8 just refers to the year, AL9 would be a 2019. It seems they just add ABS to the name when it's equipped. I wouldn't be concerned about the mileage. Mileage for the most part is irrelevant when it comes to bikes, it's physical condition is more important.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can determine if a bike has ABS by looking at the brake disks, at least one of them should have small rectangular shaped cutout near the center of the disk, which the sensor looks at to determine wheel speed.

8000 is a good amount of miles for a year, but remember that the 2018 models were released in early 2018, and a year and half is plenty of time to rack up this much mileage. These motors are pretty much bullet proof, don't worry about the mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Word of warning, my understanding from the dealer is all 2107 and up have the ABS sensor ring, but not all have ABS. I saw a ring on one said oh it has ABS, nice they said no, actually they found out the hard way after selling it's sister they incorrectly listed as ABS since they saw the ring. They had to give a partial refund.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The front wheel will have the ring and sensor no matter what, that's your speedo pickup. ABS bikes will have the same ring and sensor on the rear wheel too, this is how ABS works. It compares the speed of both wheels and if they aren't both spinning at the same rate while the brakes are being used, then the computer assumes that one is skidding and the ABS kicks in.
Aside from that, all the ABS equipped SV's I've seen actually say ABS on the front fender along the fork legs. In the US both versions were sold so it depends on where you are.
As for miles, 8k is not a lot for a bike like the SV that is a great commuter. If I commuted every day by moto then I'd be putting more than that on each year. Also, since the SV is a starter bike for many, it's not unusual for a new rider to sell after they've had it for a year when they upgrade to something bigger/nicer/techy'er.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ABS-equipped bikes have brake lines going from master cylinder to ABS central unit under behind the radiator and the seat, then going back to the caliper.
Non-ABS brake lines go directly from master cylinder to caliper(s).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts