Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So, I have had a few problems. Last time it ran was back in early January and then it sat for a month. When I tried to start it in early february it wouldn't start and (maybe unrelated) gas was leaking out of a drain hose running to the bottom of the bike. It turned out that that overflow drain pipe running through the tank most like has a leak and fuel leaks out into that overflow pipe and down out underneath the bike (Has to be a leak from this pipe because I connected a seperate hose to the nipple end of this pipe and with fuel in the tank it leaks continously). So, anyways after that still won't start (because probably unrelated problem), but it turns over.

It turned over slowly and not very strong, so I got a new battery and now it turns over stronger, but still wouldn't start. I checked the petcock and fuel pump by hooking up a vacuum to the vacuum hose connected to the petcock. When doing this fuel shoots out of both the petcock and fuel pump. I thoought that bad gas could be culprit, so I drained MOST all the fuel thourgh puting vac on the petcock and letting it run out of it into a bucket. Then, I drained the Carbs (more than 3x to make sure that leftover (bad..) gas wasn't running into the carbs. I put iin a couple gallons of new gas, but still won't start. I know that the carbs are getting gas because I have drainned them several timess. I am gettin spart out of the back cylinder (shocked myself actually). Also, my clutch safety switch has been acting funny and so I bypassed that witha paper clip, so I don't think that is the problem.

kickstand safety switch......but it turns over?

Sorry for all the detail, but I felt like it is all important. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you actually pull out the spark plug or just grab the outside post? Just because there is electricity to the post doesnt mean that it is actually arching inside the cylinder.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Remove the air filter and pour a SMALL amount of gasoline into each intake runner (1/4 teaspoon is plenty). Replace the air filter and hit the start button. If you get a pop and part of a spin then you should take the carbs apart and clean them well. If it doesn't try then pull the plugs and have a look. Make sure they're clean and make sure they show a bright, strong spark when sitting on the engine. If they don't spark well replace them.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

I forgot to mention that I also changed the spark plugs and I am pretty sure there was a spark from them (I did pull them out actually). I could do that test again to make sure of that and make sure they are still sparking.

·
Registered
96 Posts
try checking the fuel filter. take it out and blow through it, if it isnt real easy then you know you have a clogged filter.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Did it ever even act like it was firing? You went through all the right steps for diagnosing fuel delivery but just because the bowls fill up, you cannot deduce that proper fuel is getting through the jets.

Some carb cleaner in the carbs will tell you if it is fuel delivery related or electronics related. If it fires on carb cleaner, it is the carbs. If not, you got an electronic issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so I sprayed some starter fluid into the carbs and it fired up and quickly died. I tried to give it a little bit off throttle to keep it going, but it keeps just quiting. So, that sounds like a carb problem, right? Could it be a fuel filter issue...did my test confirm that this couldn't be the issue? Everytime I drain the carbs and try to start it, this fills it up with fuel again.

I confirmed that the spark plugs are definately sparking. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
843 Posts
so I sprayed some starter fluid into the carbs and it fired up and quickly died. I tried to give it a little bit off throttle to keep it going, but it keeps just quiting. So, that sounds like a carb problem, right? Could it be a fuel filter issue...did my test confirm that this couldn't be the issue? Everytime I drain the carbs and try to start it, this fills it up with fuel again.

I confirmed that the spark plugs are definately sparking. Thanks for all the responses.

Is there anything draining beneath the bike after several attempts to start it?

If you would, entertain me for a minute here. There are two things you should do at this point. 1) Pull the carbs and remove the bowls. clean out everything with carb cleaner and spray it through all of the jets with the little straw. 2) Drain the tank and start with fresh gas. Just pull the line going to the fuel pump and stick it in something to drain into. Then suck on the line coming out near the tank hinge. That will open up the fuel valve and allow it to drain. Don't worry, you wont get gas in your mouth.

My reasoning here is that you have fuel being delivered to the carbs and you have spark, but for some reason you dont have ignition. Either your jets are clogged or you have bad gas/water in the t

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there anything draining beneath the bike after several attempts to start it?

If you would, entertain me for a minute here. There are two things you should do at this point. 1) Pull the carbs and remove the bowls. clean out everything with carb cleaner and spray it through all of the jets with the little straw. 2) Drain the tank and start with fresh gas. Just pull the line going to the fuel pump and stick it in something to drain into. Then suck on the line coming out near the tank hinge. That will open up the fuel valve and allow it to drain. Don't worry, you wont get gas in your mouth.

My reasoning here is that you have fuel being delivered to the carbs and you have spark, but for some reason you dont have ignition. Either your jets are clogged or you have bad gas/water in the t
I think you are spot on friend, but before taking the carbs out I tried spraying some carb cleaner into them through the fuel line and I think i filled the back one with it, but I am not sure about the front bowl. I will let it sit over a couple days in there and then drain to see if that works. I have never taken carbs apart, but my cousin said he can come by and help in a couple weeks. I saw a post on how to do the carbs on the SV, so maybe i'll just try and do it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think you are spot on friend, but before taking the carbs out I tried spraying some carb cleaner into them through the fuel line and I think i filled the back one with it, but I am not sure about the front bowl. I will let it sit over a couple days in there and then drain to see if that works. I have never taken carbs apart, but my cousin said he can come by and help in a couple weeks. I saw a post on how to do the carbs on the SV, so maybe i'll just try and do it. Thanks again.
For what you are doing here, I think you will find it very easy. There are no "settings" or anything that you will be messing with. There are 2 clamps, 1 on each intake, that hold the carbs to the bike. Remove those, the fuel line, the fast idle adjustment cable, the throttle cable and unhook the choke at the control end and the carbs will lift right off, settings still intact.

6 screws after that the bowls will be off and after a bottle of carb cleaner, everything will be ready to reassemble. It should only take someone with no experience a few hours to do, 4-5 at the absolute most.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Careful not to get carb cleaner on the rubber bits. It may make the rubber stretch and warp. I ruined the carbs on an old Honda Shadow that way and had to go buy a carb kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same issues with my track bike (99 sv650) I would let it sit for a few months and would try and start it. It would either start for a few seconds then die or would run with the choke on but poop out when I touch the throttle.

I cleaned the carbs yesterday it's PERFECT.

And when I say I "cleaned the carbs" I took them off, took off the float caps, unscrewed the main jets, main jet holder and the pilot jets, and let them soak in carb parts cleaner for a few hours (it comes in a 1/2 gal bucket and has a dunking tray for parts) The rest of the carb I cleaned with a tooth brush, 1 whole can of B-12 spray cleaner, some tooth picks, a clean rag and compressed air. And as someone said here try and keep the carb cleaner away from non metal parts.

There are plenty of posts on this sight about cleaning your carbs but I didn't find a whole lot about how to actully do it.

Hope that helps

After I put my carbs back on and hooked everything up the bike starts, runs, and revs like new. It was night and day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh and clean each carb separately - that way parts don't get switched up. And when putting the carb back on, I put the throttle cables on first. Way easier than trying to get them on last

·
Registered
30 Posts
I brought the bike into the shop again, a different one. It seems that the other shop did a cruddy job and ruined some rubber component in the carbs. It's a good thing they're out of business now. They charged an arm and a leg too. So frustrating. Thanks all for your help. I'll be sure to do the cleaning for next spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts