Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
They are made for the Japanese home market like the other 400s, GSX-R400, 400 Bandit, CBR400F, etc. Something with registration or insurance laws. Like most of the 400s they have never been exported officially but they might be found as grey imports. I think they share a lot of parts with the 650s, but the 400 specific parts would be a PITA to find...  :-\

http://www.suzukicycles.org/SV-series/SV400-SV400S.shtml

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
God bless America and Harley Davidson

that way, you know there will never be a displacement limit. ;D

G

·
Bster13 said:
Not true, back in the 80s when harley was getting their butt kicked they got the government to impose a tarrif on Bikes over 700cc.  That's why my first bike, a 1984 Honda nighthawk S was 700cc and the one they got in Canada was 750cc. :)
Same with the VFR 700.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I want a CBR400 or VFR400, that would make the most kickass trackday bike ever. BTW I saw a company that makes a complete Repsol RC211V conversion kit for the CBR400RR... it costs almost twice what the bike does, but it makes it look almost exactly like the 211. if I was rich I would jump on it!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
It wasn't imported officially to the UK, they're seriously rare over here too- probably more so than in the US. We're more open to smaller engines but the 400 never got over the fact that it's a 650 but less good, in most ways that matter. UK riders snapped up the VFR400s etc that were genuinely something different.

OTOH, IIRC there's never been a home market SV650...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Ivan said:
I wish there was some displacement/HP limit for new riders in the USA because even Jap 400's are frightingly fast. I saw stock 400 sportbikes being raced at the Isle of Man, rear mudflap and all, and they were averaging 118 mph. Stock 1000's were doing 123 mph and superbikes were doing 126 mph.
dude they guy who owns the shop where i get most of my gear raced a aprillia 250 and he could pull 140 down a straigt away. now thats what i call scary. considering that bike weighs like nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
novakane said:
Why are 500's and 400 so popular over seas? Are those treated as track bikes or what? Over here everybody wants the biggest, fastest bike, I guess we're totally different eh?
Besides license and insurance pressures - the rest of the world view motorcycles not as toys, but as bona-fide transportation. They're tools.

Bicycles are the same way. Here - they're a diversion...a toy. Everywhere else - they're commonly accepted transportation that double as toys.

With that in mind - people don't need or even WANT a big bike for transportation. It's a completely different mentality. One of utility as much as it is fun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would have loved to start on an SV400S or something, I saw one in Japan last year.

The American theory of "bigger is better" is sometimes ridiculous, but I guess most people are paying for it at the gas pumps now. I seriously wonder if those people with average salaries who had to have a Suburban or Ram etc. regret it at all with these gas prices.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
shoot people on average incomes who drive 4 bangers are hurtin. i drive a neon and filled my tank for $22

·
Registered
154 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
some one frind me the bodywork to a sv400
It's the same as the bodywork for a 650.

You put the two bikes side by side and you can not tell the difference. There are two of them in the AFM and the only thing I remember that's different on the outside is the sticker and a little stamp on the case.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
eeeeek said:
It's the same as the bodywork for a 650. 

You put the two bikes side by side and you can not tell the difference.   There are two of them in the AFM and the only thing I remember that's different on the outside is the sticker and a little stamp on the case.
i want the cool graphics on the bodywork

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The people with the Dodge RAMs and Hummers won't be regretting buying those oversized cars that most of the time thry drive to the local strip mall all alone. They'll simply blame George Bush for his conspiracy to make more money off their backs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts