Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to get an sv400 in the us? just weighing options for the girl friends first bike.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AlexJ said:
I don't think so - but heck what do I know?!?

Get her the 650, girls are typically much safer than guys, she'll be fine.

AJ.
yah but she almost kils her self in the cage ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
B.a. said:
yah but she almost kils her self in the cage  ;D
First off, in my own defense, I'm a pretty good driver. Jesse's a maniac in a car and not in a good way. And second...I'm sitting right behind him.

Smooth move ExLax.

·
Registered
231 Posts
One option for something "smaller" would be a Suzuki GS500/GS500E (not sure what the E is for...)

This was something I considered, but decided on the SV only because more experienced riders believed I would outgrow the 500 too quickly. At 6'1" 190#, they were right, and I'm glad I got the SV. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 600... just not enough pull out there on the roadways... IMO.

As for women being "safer"... You're all the devil incarnate ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
jdt141 said:
As for women being "safer"... You're all the devil incarnate  ;D
We're safer most of the time. More rational, less daring. But separate us from a bucket of Ben & Jerry's and "you'd betta git out da way".

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
jdt141 said:
I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 600... just not enough pull out there on the roadways... IMO.
Totally disagree with this.

I started on a GZ250, and I am very glad I did.  The only time I ever felt like I truely needed (not wanted) more power was on the freeway.  Rode it a couple months, 1500 miles or so, and *thought* I was ready for something bigger, and bought my SV.  I did *ok*, but I seriously thought I was going to kill myself for the first 20 miles or so.  I got used to the power pretty quickly, but I would NOT have been EVEN REMOTELY safe on the SV650 as my first bike.

No way would I recommend an SV650 or anything bigger or more powerful to someone as green as I was when I first started riding.

I'm looking for a used Ninja 250 for my wife to start on right now.  Although it has been 10 or 15 years ago, she has some dirtbike experience (something I did not have)...but Louisiana is no longer offering the MSF (something I *did* have) due to budget cuts since the hurricaine.  If I don't find a used Ninja 250, I would settle for a different 500 (or smaller) twin or single cylinder something (Suzuki GS500 maybe...I think Kawi also has a twin 500 standard/bikini faired).  But she wants something sporty and faired, and I want something cheap and used, so my options are a bit limited.

My wife can't drive, either.  She doesnt have a bad driving record, no recent wrecks or tickets, but she SCARES me behind the wheel.  I dont get in the car with her driving unless we're on a long trip and I can hide myself in a book or movie on the laptop or something.  Her excuse "you people down here don't know how to drive...EVERYONE in New Jersey drives like this!" she exclaims at me while tailgating someone 6 inches from their rear bumper at 85 mph.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I guess it totally depends on the rider ???

I took the MSF course in May. Rode around on the CB125's for a weekend, passed the course, bought the SV. That's all the riding experience I had. I'm in Metro Detroit...and yes, everyone drives like a maniac.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I almost killed myself in my car last year as well - but I am about as cautious as I can be on my bike. My learning curve has been at about 25% of that of a guys for that reason. She will be fine on a 650.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
jdt141 said:
I'm in Metro Detroit...and yes, everyone drives like a maniac.
hey, I live just outside Ann Arbor - watch the regional rides section we get together often to ride/drink/hangout - not all at the same time obviously. ;D

·
Registered
202 Posts
hey everyone...i've been reading a lot of your posts..good stuff...anyway, my 1st bike was a '93 gs500e. great little beginner bike. they have decent power, handling, and best of all...they're cheap..

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Uh... that would be a GSF400. (see sig line ;))
AKA the 400 Bandit. It used a version of the GSXR400 motor. Makes just slightly less power than the SV650.
I say start with a 250 Ninja, VTR250 Interceptor (if you can find one), or a GS500. All are reasonably sporty and have enough balls to get you into trouble if you decide to wring their necks. I would also recommend a GZ250, 250 or 125 Eliminator, or a Rebel 240 or 450 but they're cruisers.
EX500 Ninjas are decent too but are pricey compared to the other bikes I mentioned and are much quicker as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
jdt141 said:
If I had to do it again, I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 600... just not enough pull out there on the roadways... IMO.
Now that's one of the largest myths in choosing one's first bike.  A Ninja 250 will outaccellerate 95% of cars out there.

I will continue to urge new riders towards something like the Ninja 250 or GS500. Just because many here sucessfully start off on SV's doesn't mean it's the best method. They would most likely have been better riders if they started off on something smaller and lighter and less expensive.

Now if she's still hell bent on an SV, restrictor plates would do the trick to limit power.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Well, restrictor kits for the SV650 *do* exist, in case anyone argues the SV being too powerful. In Germany they are mandatory for the first 2 years (unless you´re over 25), an my gf is actually riding such a machine and is doing well.

I´d skip the SV400, even if it was available, in favor of a SV650 - maybe even with a restrictor kit.

Ciao
Jan

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
jdt141 said:
One option for something "smaller" would be a Suzuki GS500/GS500E (not sure what the E is for...)

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 600... just not enough pull out there on the roadways... IMO.
The E model was the round headlight, naked version they built for forever and a day. The F model is the same thing with a Gixxer-like fairing and headlight.

If the SV 'fits' - as in, you're not on tip-toes with it, you might be alright. But if you don't have any appreciable experience on a bike other than one with pedals, find a used 250 or 500 and take your time. The idea is to make sure you enjoy the sport - and learn without scaring yourself out of your shoes. An SV WILL do that to someone who's got little or no time on motorcycles.

As for nothing less than a 600 - be careful with that statement. An inline 600 can scare you the way a two-stroke can. (on throttle) - Nothing, nothing, nothing.....WWWWHHHOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA.....(BANG).

My opinion. 's worth what you paid.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Twitch said:
First off, in my own defense, I'm a pretty good driver. Jesse's a maniac in a car and not in a good way. And second...I'm sitting right behind him.

Smooth move ExLax.
ROFL...someone is sleeping on the couch tonight!  LOL!

I must say it has a lot to do with how well you control your right wrist that determines how anyone will do on any bike.   As with any new bike it will take some getting used to but afterwards she will be fine.   Take the MSF course for sure.  We had a girl in our class who had never ridden a dirt or street bike and by the end she was one of the best one's in the class...besides myself of course :p .  I have ridden (still do and race) dirt for 20+ years so I had a little more knowledge on throttle control, braking and manuvering but still have a lot to learn street wise. 

I agree with ruefus...stay away from the inline 600's get a v-twin as they are like a 4-stroke motorcross bike compared to the 2-stroke dirtbikes...much easier to ride. Good Luck and have fun!

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
B.A.- I wouldn't try to get an SV400 shipped from Japan, gets real expensive. Also, is she gpoing to keep riding or is this a temporary thing?

I was with a girl for 5 years, she wanted a bike as well, so I got her a used ninja 250, she learned how to ride and we rode together for a bit.... until we broke up. I thought it was going to be hard to sell a pink ninja with big hello kitty decals, but sold in a day for close to msrencedp.

Get her a ninja 250.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts