Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torrential downpour and severe thunderstorms yesterday, but Nate had to get to class anyways. 2 miles short of the 25 mile commute to school, it does it. Oh well it's not the first time. After a few hours of class, I go home and its still firing on one cylinder, rode the whole way home on one cylinder. Question is, does this cause any harm to the bike?

Side note: Would I get better gas mileage too?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Another reason the second gens are better ;D But now someone will say it happens to their second gen :-\

It's better that it is firing both cylinders. It's definitely more fuel efficent with both firing because that fuel in the front cylinder is not ignited and gets blown out with no effiiciency at all; plus, to accelerate and maintain speed, more throttle would be required, thus injecting more fuel. And the fact that it can build up in the cylinder and get past the rings and into the oil... which is no good. I'm not sure right now why else it would be bad.

Josh

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShaggyZ said:
Another reason the second gens are better  ;D But now someone will say it happens to their second gen  :-\
I have a second gen...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
it doesn't help teh engien to run unburned gas thru it, cylinder walls are washed and some may get past rings and into oil.......

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RandyO said:
it doesn't help teh engien to run unburned gas thru it, cylinder walls are washed and some may get past rings and into oil.......
So check the oil then...would it discolor the oil or what? Its fairly fresh oil and I'd rather not change it if there is no effects of gasoline in it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
smell it, if it smells like gas, it's got gas in it

·
Registered
667 Posts
A little gas in the oil won't hurt it a bit. I would just get it fire on both after it rains, and open it up a bit to blow some of the carbon out of there, because chances are after it starts to fire, it will be flooded in that cylinder.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
speedholes said:
A little gas in the oil won't hurt it a bit.  I would just get it fire on both after it rains, and open it up a bit to blow some of the carbon out of there, because chances are after it starts to fire, it will be flooded in that cylinder.
I guess you were stressing "little." If that's the case, then, yes, a little gas in the oil won't hurt. If it becomes excessive (and you can smell it as RandyO pointed out) then you should definitely drain the oil. On the bright side, having fuel in the oil will help release any sludge at the bottom of the case and on bottom end parts like the crank.

That cracks me up that EvilBologna has a second gen when I made that comment... I've never had it happen to mine and I ride in the rain frequently: often getting hosed.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Quit hitting the puddles on purpose to watch the big splash and you won't have that problem anymore ..... :p

It was pretty nasty out yesterday. Residual hurricane stuff that made it all the way up here.

Are you going to BCC?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I feel like such a noob asking, but why does the rain cause the cylinder to stop firing? Is water getting in through the airbox? How would it do that? Why don't both cylinders stop? Do all bikes have this problem?

·
Registered
514 Posts
TotalBlackout said:
I feel like such a noob asking, but why does the rain cause the cylinder to stop firing? Is water getting in through the airbox? How would it do that? Why don't both cylinders stop? Do all bikes have this problem?
Water pools up around the spark plug, and shorts it out.

I used a little dielectric grease and it seems to help. I just try to avoid heavy rain.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Another reason the second gens are better ;D But now someone will say it happens to their second gen :-\

Josh
It hasn't happened to my 1st gen yet, and I've been hosed more than a couple times! Take that evil Josh.

-josh

K

·
0 Posts
o when i was in NH rain week (bikeweek) cough it rained and i never had a problem
when i went to North Carolina i rode in the most rain i ever rode in standing water preaty dam high.
sv kept chuggin. i loved my sv.

·
Registered
836 Posts
All I know....is the SV really sucks as a 325 single.

Check out the Holeshot Fenda Extenda and dilectric grease. If you're having cylinder firing problems after that...it's because your underwater.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the boot usually only leaks if it's shape is distorted from not getting is plugged on straight.

get a new plug boot, keep the drain hole clean and dilectric grease & fenda extenda are not necessary

G

·
0 Posts
Like Randy-O said, keep that drain clean. I had issues with my bike after a year. Turns out the drain was clogged. Once I started cleaning that regularly I never had problems, even riding through peg+ level water....(I haven't needed to use a fender extender or grease or anything but YMMV). I've just added a few pipe cleaners in with my tool kit just in case.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Regular_Joe said:
Are you going to BCC?
Yup, and my choice of vehicles to get there is the SV, my friends F4i thats sitting in my garage, and my minivan that is missing its serpantine belt, power steering pulley and a few other things.

Surprisingly there are more cruisers that have been parking at BCC, I was expecting a huge squidfest. The cruisers aren't even being piloted by older men, they are mostly students my age too. Weird, but I like it, they aren't jackasses.

The two days it rained my SV was the only bike there 8)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts