Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks need some advice, my sv1000 runs great but it won't stop on the switch and have to use the key to stop . I have tested the switch itself and that seems to be working fine....any ideas

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have tested the switch itself and that seems to be working fine....
Did you test it according to the shop manual to say it seems to be working fine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
I disconnected the plug at the ecm , put insulation test on the pin for the switch and one to earth and operated the switch and it showed on my multimeter. So I think the switch and harness is OK, I don't have a manual for the bike to check the recommended way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
This is the test procedure on the gen. 3 SV650 shop manual, but I guess it will be the same for your bike.
Font Parallel Motor vehicle History Engineering

Reactions: TeeRiver

·
Registered
197 Posts
So there’s nothing wrong with the switch. If you’ve traced those wires right to the ECU, and you’re getting both continuity and Open Line at that connector with switch on/off or wires jumped… Look at the ECU itself and make sure there’s nothing that can short between those two connectors on it’s side. Otherwise, it must have failed internally, since I don’t think that switch just ‘grounds out’ the coils and starter anymore…

I’m not familiar with the SV ECU. Can you open the cover to take a look inside? Can anyone post the wiring schematic for that part of the harness to it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think you might be right about the ecu, when I unplug it and locate the correct pin I can check continuity from the switch...it is a sealed unit

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
If the bike does not turn off when the kill switch is turned off then either the switch is internally shorted and never really turns off even if it's in the off position, OR there is a short that bypasses the kill switch.

Does the bike start and run with the kill switch unplugged?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the connector he needs to unplug also contains the start button contacts. Would be easy enough to locate on the connector side and short across them to start, I guess. I’m thinking it’ll try to start.

He could also just live with using the key, which I do anyway. But I also don’t like the thought of something being wrong and unexplained. What might happen next?

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
... my sv1000 runs great but it won't stop on the switch and have to use the key to stop.
Is this bike new to you? Did anything happen just before the problem started?

We see lots of "Help! My bike won't start." posts, but not too many "Help! My bike won't stop." lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
I think the connector he needs to unplug also contains the start button contacts. Would be easy enough to locate on the connector side and short across them to start, I guess. I’m thinking it’ll try to start.

He could also just live with using the key, which I do anyway. But I also don’t like the thought of something being wrong and unexplained. What might happen next?
So, OP could start the bike and THEN unplug it and see if it shuts off.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Is this bike new to you? Did anything happen just before the problem started?

We see lots of "Help! My bike won't start." posts, but not too many "Help! My bike won't stop." lol.
We do have the occasional welded starter relay, which would keep the starter and engine turning, but not running, per se, if the kill switch was turned off. If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys thanks for all the ideas ...today I tried another ecu and a kill switch and the fault is still there , when bike is running I unplugged the right bar control and nothing happens , the bike runs perfect otherwise . The only problem I have is I am in the UK and the bike is due a test and it will fail If this is not working I have hade the bike 2 years and has never let down ...

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
... I unplugged the right bar control and nothing happens ,
As GC and Troy said, if the bike stayed running even with the switch unplugged then for sure the problem is not the switch.

This is an usual problem.
Are you the original owner?
Have any wiring mods been done to the bike?
Does it or did the bike ever have an alarm system installed?
Did anything happen just before the problem started?

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
Are you the original owner?
Have any wiring mods been done to the bike?

Did anything happen just before the problem started?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts