Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in brief, i have been riding all my life. Started when I was 5. Had dirt bikes from 50cc, 70cc, 80cc, 100cc, 250cc then went to street bikes had a 1990 gs500, 2001 sv650, and now a 2005 SV1000S. I am now 23 years old.

Anyways, lately i have been finding myself looking around at 2nd gen naked sv650's. Has anyone here ever gone back to an sv650 from an sv1000? I dont think im average for my age because i really dig naked bikes and i think handlebars are pretty cool. Most guys my age are after plastics, clip-ons, and top speed. I have also thought about trying to find an 03' SV1000 to accomplish the naked thing. I wish i had the know how to make my bike a naked. While i can work on it adequately i dont have any means to "fab" anything. Would i hate going back to the 650?

here is the gs500 just after i bought it. ended up putting tires, signals, and mirrors on that bike

Here is the sv650. Had an ART pipe, signals, fender eliminator, SM bars, bar end mirrors on that bike

And here is recent pic of the SV1000S

Thanks
- Jordan

· Registered
2,115 Posts
Why not keep the 1K and get the 650 too? I have a naked TLR but prefer my 650s, I've never ridden the SV1K but it's probably worlds better than the TL.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if you have owned both the 1000 and 650.....shouldnt you know the answer?
Nice 1000! I'm with Mull......keep the 1000 and buy a 650. Thats what I did!
hah, yeah i guess i should... but i dont
i guess i need to ride a 650 again to really make up my mind

Unfortunately im a poor college student and i cant afford a 2nd bike

- Jordan

· Registered
8,977 Posts
If the only reason that you want a 650, is because you can get it naked, then start taking off parts and slap a headlight on that bugger and ride. :)

If you want to learn how to fab stuff, then you can take a class, or get some kind of apprentice job, hang out with someone that can teach you how, or you can just start doing it.

This may sound kinda stupid.......but you can learn an awful lot from making mistakes.

· Registered
997 Posts
Making your 1000 naked is really not that hard.

Just need to remove the plastics, get new lighting, maybe handle bars if you dont want clip ons (thats a bit more work but not horrible).

Should be able to sell your uppers and break even with aftermarket lights etc...

Maybe even make some cash if you sell the chin spoiler (although I am a fan of the chin spoiler on the nakeds.)

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
You can absolutely make your bike naked. All the info is here ,members will answer your questions, point you toward parts and sell you their old parts.

What would be your first question,assuming you take fairing and lights off and go naked?It is all really easy,wiring too. You are a poor student,mod what you have.Good luck

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My first question i guess would be how to get a "finished" look when it comes to the wiring and gauges. I think I would keep the clipons because I think they look great on nakeds and I don't want to mess with the tripple tree or with cables. I guess I will have to start looking for headlight options and ideas. All suggestions welcome!

Thanks
- Jordan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.