Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be getting a new bike soon, but can't seem to decide on what right now. I keep coming back to either the SV1000S, or the GSXR750.

Now here's the delima, I love the low end torque and the torque nature of my 650, but would love the power of a 750. I just don't quite like the way they build up power, just doesn't seem right to me, not a streetable bike in my opinion.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well, of course you are on the SV site so you will get a biased opinion! I have been in the same dilemma as you. I love my 650, but I want more POWER! BTW, I realize it is more of a want than a need! I found a used 2003 SV1000s and got a GREAT deal on it. Needs a few things, but hey that's half the fun! I've run lots of I4s and I have totally fell in LOVE with the V-Twin. My answer is what you already know, get the SV1000! LOTS of power and you still have all the benefits of the v-twin! ;D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Get the 1K and a set of pipes and be prepared to get noticed. 750's are a dime a dozen. I have a naked 1K and have only seen 2 other naked's in the past 4 months. I like that. I have yet to ride it without somebody giving me a compliment. ;D

Dave

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rembeber taking a quick ride on my buddys sv1000 once, but he had full exhuast, power comander, and like a 52 tooth rear sprocket, and I couldn't go WOT on it without sending the front sky high, at like 3K in the rev range, so I guess the SV1000 it is!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
650RR said:
Yes, it does, becuase he used to stunt it....and now he has to rebuild it.
No, it does not have the same issues. If he has to rebuild it, it is probably from his stunting it and beating on it in other ways. The only way the 650 motor is like the 1K is that they are both V twins..that's it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As a biased observer and part time squid, I have run with my buddies v-max, a vtx 1800 with a 30 horse NOs kit, a cbr954, a bandit 1200, a kawi zrx 1100, a zx 10, and a few other bikes. from 20-80 mph the only thing that has flat out walked me is the Vmax. I love I=4's, but my naked 1000 is the best damn bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here is an interesting anomaly to the I4 vs V2 issue! Just picked up a used Honda 919. (ya, I know another bike!)Got a great deal and what an awesome bike! True it is an I4, but the power band is very low like the V-twin. Pulls very hard right from idle. Red lines at 9500, and produces peak HP of 120 around 8500 RPM. Smooth as silk and very usable power. Still love my SV1K, but this is a fun bike!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Dude WTF! I swear to you on my mothers grave, if you keep buying bikes im gonna poop on you when you sleep, bastage! ;D

Nice bike, so how many is that now like 3? ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My bud i ride with has a 919. He loves that thing. Wheelie monsta. Exact same as that one, cept it has 2 bros pipes and PCIII on it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
That Guy said:
Dude WTF!   I swear to you on my mothers grave, if you keep buying bikes im gonna poop on you when you sleep, bastage!     ;D

Nice bike, so how many is that now like 3? ;)
No, I'm down to two bikes. Just the SV1000s and the 919. 1 faired and 1 naked! Love em both!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the same dilemma. I have a 2002 SV650S that I have done a lot of mods to. I love it, but sometimes want a little more power. I was originally thinking a GSXR1000 but it really is too much power for the street. So, I thought maybe a GSXR 750-which is still a possibility. But I really like the V-twin. So what about a Honda RC51: the tank is small and supposedly only gets about 100 miles per tank full and the riding position is a little more radical than the SV1000 and it costs $12,300! So, I've sort of decided on the SV1000S as a more practical, but not sure yet. I get a little cramped on the SV650S beyond about 200 miles a day. I want to do longer trips. My daughter and I are talking about riding coast to coast, and the SV650 won't cut it, and I don't think I want a 600 pound touring bike-its just not me. Too many choices!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts