Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I almost had me a practically new 2004 SV650s. It was at an out of state dealership and the day I was supposed to get it, we got hit with an ice storm and the wife didn't want me to risk it. Long story short, I stayed home and someone else bought it from under me.

Anyways, the salesman I talked to really wanted to make a sale, so he told me about a 2003 SV 1000 they have that they are trying to get rid of. It seems like a steal to me. Low miles and low price. I'm probably going to go look at it over the weekend, but I'm a little nervous about the jump to a 1000. My previous bike was a EX500. Great starter bike by the way.

Looking at the performance data, it doesn't seem too different from a 600cc Supersport with the exception of all that torque. I've heard other's say that an R6 or Gixxer 600 makes a great second bike.

So my question is, would you recommend making the jump from a EX500 to a SV1000s? I had over two seasons on the EX500 and if I remember put about 7k miles on it.

Is the power managable or is it a monster?

I'm not an aggressive rider, so warp speed is not a neccessity, and the majority of my time will be spent on the superslab commuting back and forth to school with the occasional backroad twisty run.

Hopefully since its used and since I have the cash in hand, they'll let me take it for a spin.

Anyways, I would appreciate any advice, input, and your personal experience of the 1000.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
For what you will use it for (Superslab and occasional twisties) the sv1000 is a great choice. It will feel heavier and not as quick from turn to turn. The highway riding will feel great, you will be able to cruise at half its capability very comfortably. should get decent mileage. Plsu you get two pipes!! Go for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I believe the SV1000 would be an excellent choice for you. Especially if your doing a lot of the super-slab riding. The 1000 is a little heavier then a 650 so it should handle the crosswinds better.
I'm just curious is the 2003 SV1000 on offer a naked or S model? How many miles and at what price is the Dealer selling it for?
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm definitely going to try and go for it. The only thing that has me a little hesitant now is insurance. Hopefully they won't screw me too bad

Ivan...I loved the EX500, it was a great bike, but unfortunately I don't have her anymore. Around this time last year, doctor's discovered that I had several bloodclots in my lungs and one in my leg. Because I was on bloodthinners, the Mrs. and family made me give her up. Aesthetically, she wasn't the best looking bike, but I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a 1st.

A1A...It is the S version. It only has 140 miles on it which does concern me a little. The salesman said they are just trying to get rid of it because its been sitting in their store so long. I think he said he would let it go for $4600 since I wasn't able to get the 650. It's above the low retail price in the NADA guide but below the average retail. I'm still hoping that they will start it up if not let me take it for a spin.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
A1A said:
I believe the SV1000 would be an excellent choice for you. Especially if your doing a lot of the super-slab riding. The 1000 is a little heavier then a 650 so it should handle the crosswinds better.
I'm just curious is the 2003 SV1000 on offer a naked or S model? How many miles and at what price is the Dealer selling it for?
Cheers! 8)
In '03 it was naked only I think.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 03 1k and they seem pretty tame to me. You would have to be pretty ignorant to pop it up and you have to watch the down shifts closely as not to lock up the rear wheel. Other then that its almost like riding a sewing machine verrrry smooth. I think it is one of the better bikes out there, super cheap for used ones and more then enough ump-pa-pa to make you smile.

·
Registered
231 Posts
JCubed said:
Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm definitely going to try and go for it.  The only thing that has me a little hesitant now is insurance.  Hopefully they won't screw me too bad

Ivan...I loved the EX500, it was a great bike, but unfortunately I don't have her anymore.  Around this time last year, doctor's discovered that I had several bloodclots in my lungs and one in my leg. Because I was on bloodthinners, the Mrs. and family made me give her up.  Aesthetically, she wasn't the best looking bike, but I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a 1st.

A1A...It is the S version.  It only has 140 miles on it which does concern me a little.  The salesman said they are just trying to get rid of it because its been sitting in their store so long.  I think he said he would let it go for $4600 since I wasn't able to get the 650.  It's above the low retail price in the NADA guide but below the average retail.  I'm still hoping that they will start it up if not let me take it for a spin.
Hi JCubed,
Let your fingers do the walking and call around to several insurance company's and get some quotes. In addition try to get him to sell it for the out the door price( Tax, Registration, Etc) of $4500.00 dollars. Try do do a Demo ride to see if the bike ergo's will comply to your needs.
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi JCubed,
Let your fingers do the walking and call around to several insurance company's and get some quotes. In addition try to get him to sell it for the out the door price( Tax, Registration, Etc) of $4500.00 dollars. Try do do a Demo ride to see if the bike ergo's will comply to your needs.
Cheers! Cool
Yeah, I'm definitely doing that. My old insurance company (Foremost) had decent rates, but told me I had to have a garage in order to get full coverage. I told them that my EX500 was fully insured with them and I didn't have a garage and she told me that whoever wrote my policy made a mistake. I'm only eligible for liabilty. Now I'm looking at Geico. I have my cars and homeowners insurance though them. The quote I got so far was $840/year full coverage. Still going to look around for something cheaper. I thought about Statefarm, but they usually charge a significant amount more for my cars that it may still not work out in my favor.

I'll try to get him to come down a little more. Since its out of state, I'll have to handle tax, tags, and title myself, but if I can get it all to $4500, that would be schweet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
luftmech said:
I have an 03 1k and they seem pretty tame to me.  You would have to be pretty ignorant to pop it up and you have to watch the down shifts closely as not to lock up the rear wheel. 
Or a newbie.

·
Registered
231 Posts
JCubed said:
Yeah, I'm definitely doing that.  My old insurance company (Foremost)  had decent rates, but told me I had to have a garage in order to get full coverage.  I told them that my EX500 was fully insured with them and I didn't have a garage and she told me that whoever wrote my policy made a mistake.  I'm only eligible for liabilty. Now I'm looking at Geico.  I have my cars and homeowners insurance though them.  The quote I got so far was $840/year full coverage.  Still going to look around for something cheaper.  I thought about Statefarm, but they usually charge a significant amount more for my cars that it may still not work out in my favor. 

I'll try to get him to come down a little more.  Since its out of state, I'll have to handle tax, tags, and title myself, but if I can get it all to $4500, that would be schweet. 
I believe if your autos are insured with State Farm, you will get a better deal insuring the motorcycle.
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have state farm insurance and an 03 sv1000 naked. The sv1000 didn't sell well so it doesn't have a bad rep with insurance companies I'm 26 and I pay $300 a year with state farm but my 2 cars and renters policy is with them. If you do alot of highway the sv1000 will treat you verry well. It revs low on the highway and I get about 45mpg. The bike is pretty manageable as long as your smooth on the throttle you'll be ok. I went from a naked 03 sv650 and I think the my sv1000 rides about the same I think the naked version is more flickable than the s model.
The brakes and suspension are alot better than my 650 in stock form allso.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Its all in the throttle control, that bike is playful as a kitten if you don't whack the throttle wide open. its also a monster if you do, as all that torque will get you to terminal velocity in a hurry. We had a guy come take an SV1000 demo out for a ride, experienced rider, at least he had a gsxr600 in his garage, he was out ten minutes and stuffed it under a parked car, on the wrong side of the road, at about 60 mph or so. he was on a residential street, it totalled the bike and he lost a foot.

this was his own fault, he apparently was showing off and had the front wheel pointed skyward. ,my point is merely to illustrate that you can get in trouble in a hurry on a big bike. I think if you are a cautious rider youd be fine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could go to Statefarm. Bike insurance is great, but when I get a quote for my two cars, they are handing me a beatdown. I'd have to increase my deductibles significantly in order to get the same rate. Plus GEICO is giving me Mechanical Breakdown Protection free of charge. In short, if anything mechanical breaksdown on the cars, then I only have to pay the deductible and they cover the rest. Sucks being that I'm married, a student, no tickets EVER, no accidents in the last 12 years that was my fault, none in the last 5 that was someone elses fault. Progressive is smoking crack. They wanted to charge me over $2k when I got a quote for a 650s. Can't imagine what it would be for the 1000s. I'll keep shopping, but at this point, I'll probably stick with GEICO. $840 sucks to me, but right now it seems the best I can do.

I did have another question about the 1000s though. Does the 03 model clutch have the back-torque limiting system or is that only for 05 and later? If not, would a clutch from an 05 fit an 03?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I beleive they do have the back torque limiting clutch mine sure acts like it does I accidently downshifted to 1st gear doing 40 mph in a turn and didn't even squeel a tire but I sure did have to grab the throttle quick. i used to chirp the tire downshifting alot on my 03 sv650 but i don't think I ever have on my sv1000

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bad news

I talked to the dealer and he just informed me that the bike is a salvage. It only has a 147 miles on it. The previous owner put 14 miles on it before running off the road into a ditch. The rest of the miles were put on it by the salesman himself after it was repaired. It has sat in his garage for the past year. So I get the impression that he now owns it and is trying to sell it, not the dealership. All the damage has been repaired, but it has the salvage title on it. I was also wrong about the price, he's asking $4300 for it.

Do you think I should still go for it, or keep looking? If its mechanically sound, what are the disadvantages of purchasing a vehicle with a salvage title? Will I still be able to insure it if it has one?

He's going to send me some pics via email so that I can look at it first.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've had several salvaged bikes and it depends on how much damage was done.  I've seen insurance companies total bikes for strictly cosmetic reasons and with some new plastic or paint you have a perfect bike.  My decision to go or not to go salvage usually depends on the deal.  If it is a killer deal then the risk is worth it if it looks and drives OK.  Seems like $4300 might be a little high for what you are getting.  If you could chew them down on the price it might seem like a better deal.  I almost bought a salvaged SV1000 off eBay for $3,000 and it was pretty clean.  Good luck man!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts