Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend crashed into a deer last week with his 04 SV650s.
Now he is considering either a 04SV1k 0mi.($7400or a 03 GSXR750 with 3000mi. ($5200)
He liked his sv but it wasen't quite fast enough for him, cuz we usually ride with the SS's in town and he didn't like being left behind on the straights. How will the SV1k stand up to the SS's on the straights and how much worse is the handeling on the 1k.
I keep telling him to go with the SV for the fact that EVERYONE has a gsxr and for the obvious reason that is a SV
Anyway all input would be awesome.
pro's + con's of each?

·
Registered
23 Posts
joker said:
My good friend crashed into a deer last week with his 04 SV650s.
Now he is considering either a 04SV1k 0mi.($7400or a 03 GSXR750 with 3000mi. ($5200)
He liked his sv but it wasen't quite fast enough for him, cuz we usually ride with the SS's in town and he didn't like being left behind on the straights. How will the SV1k stand up to the SS's on the straights and how much worse is the handeling on the 1k.
I keep telling him to go with the SV for the fact that EVERYONE has a gsxr and for the obvious reason that is a SV
Anyway all input would be awesome.
pro's + con's of each?
seems kind of ironic... he crashes into a deer and now he wants a faster bike. maybe he thinks the extra power will allow him to ride right over the deer?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The SV1000 will smoke the 600/750s I4s anywhere below 100. After that, the 750s will certainly be in business. You can check out roll-on (60-80MPH) times comparisons. The SV1000 is incredible and even has better times than some of the liter bikes.
The SV1000 has so much on demand power that it's really dangerous... that's actually a good selling point for your friend.  ;D
Plus, with upgrades to ignition and fuel (via PowerCommander) and exhaust and intake modifications, the SV1000 could be easily putting out 130HP ontop of the incredible torque.

Insurance is probably cheaper on the SV, too. (Don't know that though)

As you mentioned, it will also be cooler to not have the same bike as everyone else.

Josh

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
The SV1000 will smoke the 600/750s I4s anywhere below 100.
i disagree with this, assuming you talking about a stock sv1000 and stock gsxr. if your buddies know how to downshift and wind up the rpm and get all the HP out of their gixxers (which they probably do since it's pretty simple), then you really don't have a chance on a stock sv1000.

it's pretty tough to vote on whether an anonymous person should buy an sv1000 or gsxr-750. i mean it completely depends on your goals.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Why not a Gix1k if he likes the straights so much?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Having ridden both, I would say get the SV for comfort. When all the I4 guys are squalling with monkey butt, you'll still have another 100 miles in you. ;D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NOsquid said:
Why not a Gix1k if he likes the straights so much?
He dosen't. The 650 was his first bike and he is looking to get some more speed.
He loved his 650. He is just trying to compare the two cuz he likes them both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
joker said:
He dosen't. The 650 was his first bike and he is looking to get some more speed.
He loved his 650. He is just trying to compare the two cuz he likes them both.
how long did he have the 650??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correction---- It was his first non-cruzer bike!!!! He bought it new and had about 6,000 miles on it

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiit. Buy the 'Busa and be done with it. No one will touch him. ::) Any town riding will not have his buddies leaving him in the dust in the straights if he has any riding credentials under his belt. I have a buddy that rides a KLR 650 that can handle many of the bikes out there b/c he's got the curves down to a tee. If all he's doing is in town riding with a ton of straights, and speed is all he's worried about, then the SV is not for him. Tell him to go a different route. In the time I've been on an SV and on this board, I've realized that the SV is more about the ride and the people that ride them, than it is about the numbers behind the bike. That's just me though.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He liked the sv b/c of the handeling. How much of a hog is the 1k in the corners. No he isn't a squid! (he races motocross) All I wanted was the opinion on if he will be happy with the 1k after the 650. I don't mind being passed on the straights cuz I know my bike is way cooler than all theirs. He wants a bike that is nimble in the twisties and fast in the straights. I'm trying to talk him into the sv. I told him I would post something on here to get some more opinions on the bikes.

Anyone rode both??

·
Registered
176 Posts
why try and talk him into anything...he's a big boy and obviously has some experience already. let him decide for himself. if you sway him into getting a SV1K and he decides he doesn't like it, who comes out looking like an @ss?

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
we usually ride with the SS's in town and he didn't like being left behind on the straights.[/quote]
`Splain to me how he's getting "left behind on the straights" "in town" Are you guys reckless asshats? Are you and he regulars at the Burger Barn Poseur Prix? What kind of "straights" do you have "in town" that you're getting "left behind"? Where do you live, Spa Belgium? Chernobyl?

·
Registered
160 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
The SV1000 will smoke the 600/750s I4s anywhere below 100.
Just a FYI. I raced a buddy on a SV1000 with my R6. We started in first gear and it was pretty even. Unless drag racing is really your thing the difference between the two isn't going to be a big deal.

Oh, and yes we were speeding and yes we know it's dangerous. ;)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Don't forget that you had 2 full layers of gear on Nick. As far as this goes He should get what he wants and what he feels will be the best bike for himself. From what I've read both bike's are great bike's and as long as they do what he wants he should be happy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
As far as this goes He should get what he wants and what he feels will be the best bike for himself.  From what I've read both bike's are great bike's and as long as they do what he wants he should be happy.
I agree with this.  When my buddy bought the SV1000, it was between the SV and a 954.  When he asked my opinion, I told him he just needed to decide if he wanted a street bike or a race replica.  It really would come down to the intended use IMO.  I'd take the SV in town.  But I hate riding in town.   ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts