Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, so who here owns an SV1000 and has done weight saving mods?

I am thinking for the winter to go with the following:

-Yoshi or M4 2 into 1 (not sure which one I want yet)
-Lightweight battery
-Vortex fairing stay (the stock one sure is heavy)
-520 conversion (saves a bit) - but not really for weight savings

No point in getting a lighter rear subframe, lighter wheels or anything like that, it's still a streetbike.

I can't really think of anything else right now, but I figured this could save a bit over 20lbs.

Feel free to post some pics!

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Lighter wheels are likely to return the greatest difference in "feel." You could just eat a few fewer tacos and realize the same benefit that a lightweight batteries would give you. And the weight reduction would be in about the same place relative to the center of mass of the Bike/Domiken assembly. So you $hould $pend your money to $how me I'm right.

I'm just sayin, is all.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lighter wheels are likely to return the greatest difference in "feel." You could just eat a few fewer tacos and realize the same benefit that a lightweight batteries would give you. And the weight reduction would be in about the same place relative to the center of mass of the Bike/Domiken assembly. So you $hould $pend your money to $how me I'm right.

I'm just sayin, is all.
I'm definitely considering the diet myself (I def need one), but I'm talking about the bike alone right now, the bike doesn't ride me lol I ride it.

I think 20lbs would make a huge difference in the feel of a motorcycle, and I've noticed the SV1000 owners who have made the change to a 2 into 1 exhaust have claimed the biggest "feel" so far. I currently have Jardine's on the bike and they sounds great, definitely 3x lighter than the stock cans which are super heavy.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Subscribed! Any other advice would be great! I was thinking of converting to N so that would make it even lighter. Bought my wife some Aztek 5 3/4, so we'll have her OEM light that I modded with Borka's projecter.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Do you notice a huge difference in the bike going from full to nearly empty fuel tank? That 3+ gallons is your 20lbs and I do think the bike feels more sprightly when needing fuel, but nothing I'd spend a lot of money to get. Changing the stock cans to lighter ones (TRS Yoshi's for me) took about 15lbs off IIRC and seemed to free up the engine a little so that is probably your biggest and easiest gain. Going from Jardine cans to single M4 or 3/4 Yoshi will drop some weight as the 'nest o-snakes' stock exhaust system looks pretty solid and heavy, but I'd think you've got the majority of exhaust reduction already.

Taking the BTL out by substituting the DL hub and kit will save about 2lbs, but the difference is much more dramatic than just the weight as this is spinning around half engine rpm's so it's like putting in a lighter flywheel. Definitely quickens the engines ability to increase speed.....and costs less then $200 which will be cheap when you start putting things on a diet.

I don't personally think the 520 conversions a good idea on the 1K....seems like a lot of potential problems for very little gain. The lightweight batteries might be a decent deal but everything has its' bad with the good. Cold weather starting seems to be more difficult with the lightweight batteries and your reserve capacity will certainly be reduced so loss of charging system out on the road will strand you sooner.

Depending on the seat you have, you might take a pound or three off. The Suzuki Gel is very heavy while the Sargent pretty svelt by comparison. Removing the passenger pegs a freebie if you don't need them and there are probably lighter rearsets available...but now you are starting to spend big bucks for ounces.

Saying NO to the extra piece of pizza is your cheapest and biggest potential reduction for sure.:) I ran my V-Max back in the late '80's weighing 245 while the guy I sold it to went about 135...both suited up. I went 11.5 @120 at 1200ft altitude while he went 10.2 @ 130 at sea level. Granted he is a better drag racer than me, but the weight difference was the biggest factor. I'm about 205 now and don't think there are 40lbs on the SV to remove and still have it work.:) Good luck with your diet!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
If you don't take passengers you could save quite a bit of weight with a different subframe and tail setup, if you're trying to retain passenger pegs there's less difference.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you notice a huge difference in the bike going from full to nearly empty fuel tank? That 3+ gallons is your 20lbs and I do think the bike feels more sprightly when needing fuel, but nothing I'd spend a lot of money to get. Changing the stock cans to lighter ones (TRS Yoshi's for me) took about 15lbs off IIRC and seemed to free up the engine a little so that is probably your biggest and easiest gain. Going from Jardine cans to single M4 or 3/4 Yoshi will drop some weight as the 'nest o-snakes' stock exhaust system looks pretty solid and heavy, but I'd think you've got the majority of exhaust reduction already.

Taking the BTL out by substituting the DL hub and kit will save about 2lbs, but the difference is much more dramatic than just the weight as this is spinning around half engine rpm's so it's like putting in a lighter flywheel. Definitely quickens the engines ability to increase speed.....and costs less then $200 which will be cheap when you start putting things on a diet.

I don't personally think the 520 conversions a good idea on the 1K....seems like a lot of potential problems for very little gain. The lightweight batteries might be a decent deal but everything has its' bad with the good. Cold weather starting seems to be more difficult with the lightweight batteries and your reserve capacity will certainly be reduced so loss of charging system out on the road will strand you sooner.

Depending on the seat you have, you might take a pound or three off. The Suzuki Gel is very heavy while the Sargent pretty svelt by comparison. Removing the passenger pegs a freebie if you don't need them and there are probably lighter rearsets available...but now you are starting to spend big bucks for ounces.

Saying NO to the extra piece of pizza is your cheapest and biggest potential reduction for sure.:) I ran my V-Max back in the late '80's weighing 245 while the guy I sold it to went about 135...both suited up. I went 11.5 @120 at 1200ft altitude while he went 10.2 @ 130 at sea level. Granted he is a better drag racer than me, but the weight difference was the biggest factor. I'm about 205 now and don't think there are 40lbs on the SV to remove and still have it work.:) Good luck with your diet!
Yeah I see what you're saying, and yes I do feel a difference when it's full and when it is not. But I think removing the super heavy stock hardware should net even more gains in the weigh loss department with the 2-1 like you mentioned, I agree the Jardine vs. stock cans was already a significant weight loss mod.

For me that is not worth it, I am not racing the bike or anything and it's my street/track bike, 2lbs to me is no big deal.

I love 520 conversions, ill just change the sprockets more but who cares, I remember my SV650 "woke up" when I did the swap, hoping the same with this bike, plus I need a new chain and sprockets asap.

The lightweight battery would be for the track, I have a Bikemaster trugel now so cold temps don't hurt me and the battery doesnt sulfate, but it is heavy.

I do have the gel seat, I am not fond of it, but my butt does not hurt after 4 hour+ rides, for the track I like the stock one better. My fiancee rides 2-up with me sometimes so its not worth getting rid of the pegs, im looking for the major big gains, not little ones here and there that would affect the streetability of the bike. I am definitely getting rid of the pair system, its just a pain in the butt when im working on the bike, thats about 1.5lbs, but thats more for backfires and being able to work on the bike without having so many things in the way to disconnect.

Thanks man you are right, I def need to lose some lbs. Never been this fat before (195lbs), ive always been a solid 175lbs (with muscle) my whole life, so I think its about time I get back to that, and I have a wedding coming up anyway so it's time to step it up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The lightweight battery will make 2 things lighter:

Your SV, but not really by enough to make a huge difference on a street bike/occasional track bike

Your Wallet. Here, you'll feel it more.

I wouldn't bother with the battery or the lightweight fairing stay on a street bike. To be honest, I don't think I'd really do either one on an occasional track bike. ON a dedicated track machine, I suppose it makes sense, but riding school would drop your lap times a lot more than spending money on lightening the two.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Funny, a group of friends and I had the whole "make it lighter" discussion last night over a couple of beers. Someone suggested that buying a decent textile jacket and wearing it instead of leather would save as much weight as a battery swap. We all laughed, and then for giggles weighed one of the leather jackets and one of the textiles, and lo and behold...almost 2 lbs difference. All of that weight riding well above the center of gravity.

So, in theory, buy a lighter jacket while we're talking about ways to lighten things up. :)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
a battery will save more like 6lb :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on removing stock cans, rear mudguard, pillion pegs, battery and PAIR.

Next I'd remove the whole front fairing and bracket - it's a real lump. Replace it with a small front light/cowl for a more street-fighter look. Maybe not so good if you do serious miles, but great for street riding.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the updates guys.

-Ill be going 2-1 in the mufflers for sure for even more weight savings.
-On a diet right now myself lol
-The PAIR system ill take out eventually as its a pain in the butt when I was syncing my throttle bodies (and the backfiring), not really for weight purposes.
-The stock fairing stay is pretty heavy, I felt the Vortex one a fellow SVrider is going to install and it weighs just as much as a credit card compared to the 5-6lbs the stock one weighs, let's see if it can hold up his mirrors (which it shouldnt, thin welds, but who knows).
-I was supposed to complete all CCS this year, but thanks to my engagement and wedding planning it will have to wait till next year.
-Lightweight battery would be great for the track, but not worth it for a street/track, so for now ill keep the gel battery, but if I get some extra income ill get it anyway.

All I wanted to accomplish was a bit of weight savings, this thread definitely helped without going overboard and cutting things up. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Keep your SV1000 as is for street and buy track only SV650 with all the suspension and go fast bits. Problem solved :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep your SV1000 as is for street and buy track only SV650 with all the suspension and go fast bits. Problem solved :eek:ccasion14:
Been there and done that... You of all people know that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts