Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,641 Posts
It's not as smooth as the 650. That passing power is addictive, though...

... but you'll be contending with mileage in the high 30s rather than the high 40s/low 50s. Surprisingly, though its a *lot* less fussy AFAIS than the old TL-S/-R when it comes to T&S, it doesn't get much better mpg when you're out of the throttle. I like the driveability esp over the old TL-S, but that mpg number would constantly be on my mind, as the tank is only .3 gals larger...

I have a lot of fun on my 650, and I've owned two liter Fours (FZR1000 and YZF1000R). Handling is superior to either of them. ;D

The other thing that bothers me on the stock 1000 is the choice of twin pipes, a measure to reduce the 1000s noise readings on the EPA test. No matter which side you go down on, you'll ding a pipe... which unless an insurance company is paying or you like the stock cans, will force a purchase of *2* cans to make it right. ;)

· Registered
1,277 Posts
The 1k is definitely more bulky. If you do trade it up you'll be noticing the weight a lot in the first few days. My hands do tend to get numb faster from vibration, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the S vs. the N rather than the displacement change.

· Registered
446 Posts
If you want more power and don't mind a little more weight, the 1k is great. It handles well, and pulls like crazy. As for range, I usually end up filling up at 140 which is just before the light comes on. The engine is not as smooth at the 650, but its also spinning a lot more mass. I went from the 650 to the 1k, as I ride 70 miles of mountain freeway a day with about 8,000 feet of elevation change total, 3,000 up, 1,000 down then 1,000 up and 3,000 down, and I carry about 60 lbs of gear for work.

· Registered
5,785 Posts
There's a good chance there are a poop-ton of sv650/sv1000 comparison threads here and in magazines. Look around for those. You can probably just search for SV1000 threads and find many of the threads will compare it to the SV650.

· Registered
7,369 Posts
You have to ride it... Really, it's not that much like the 650 once you get it on the road, despite its similiarities- so much of both bikes' character comes from the engine. I don't like the thousand much, but that's just because it's not my sort of bike at the end of the day.

(the reason the thou never succeeded, in my opnion, is that the 650 owners wanted a more powerful 650 and didn't get it, and everyone else wanted a mental new TL, and didn't get that either)

· Registered
2,641 Posts
I have been commuting a lot on my 1K, and getting 42-43 MPG's. FWIW
DougZ --> 43 mpg x 3.8 gal = 163.4 mile range (avg) before reserve (that's daayyum good if it's legit...)

UtahSV --> 36.9 mpg x 3.8 gal = 140 mile range before reserve (about the lower end what I've heard in the past)

7 mpg... that points to quite a difference in what you can expect from the 1K. Admittedly from reading USV's post, he's checked off a few of the big ways that the 1K could lose fuel economy.

I enjoy the fact that even thrapping the balls off my bike, I can still get over 170 miles in range from a third of a gallon less fuel than the 1K -- only on the track does the mpg ever dip lower than 47 - 48. Sure the torque and passing power are addictive and awesome, but then again you are forced to be good quite a bit, in order to get the good numbers... whereas with the 650s you're not as obligated to. Plus the handling is way more fun. ;)

What I'm puzzled about, is Suzuki's decision to twin-plug the 650, but not the 1000 (with its huge bore). If they twin-plugged it, it would probably get far better emissions with a nice increase in torque and mpg -- even comparable to jetted 1gen 650s, maybe... but with nearly double the power. Not exactly an aftermarket bolt-on fix, though, is it... :p

· Registered
7,369 Posts
The SV thou just wasn't selling- it was retired in europe before euro 3 even came in (shops are still selling old stock) and we're the big nakeds-and-twins market. Just not a very succesful bike, because people are IDIOTS. So presumably they didn't want to spend more money on it.

· Registered
8,480 Posts
DougZ --> 43 mpg x 3.8 gal = 163.4 mile range (avg) before reserve (that's daayyum good if it's legit...)
Its legit...good old fill the tank to bottom of filler neck each time with bike upright....divide gallons into miles...boom, MPG's.

I will say though the light comes around 130-140 ish...but it has two light triggers...first is then...just solid...then the second..when lower..starts to blink...I have never personally actually had it down that low. If I did..I think that would be around the 160 mark....I have gotten to about 155 with the light on, but not yet blinking.

Bear in mind too, this is not taking the revs past 5K.....for the purpose of getting good gas mileage.

· Registered
226 Posts
I typically get around 35 to 40 mpg with my 1000. Like others have said, it depends a lot on how you ride it. Also, in the handling department, I think it's great. Although, I've never really owned a bike that was known for its superior handling.

· Registered
2,641 Posts
I will say though the light comes around 130-140 ish...but it has two light triggers...first is then...just solid...then the second..when lower..starts to blink...I have never personally actually had it down that low. If I did..I think that would be around the 160 mark....I have gotten to about 155 with the light on, but not yet blinking.
Ah -- that makes more sense.

If you look at the math, I plug in the SV1's main tank only, before reserve -- which is 3.8 gals (entire tank is 4.5 gals), which plugged in with 140 miles, becomes 37 mpg. That's more along what I've seen... the same as USV's 1K.

The main tank is what I base my mileage on -- I can go from 175 - 184 miles before the light first comes on -- and I often bounce off the rev limiter and skip the front exiting corners. ;D

Bear in mind too, this is not taking the revs past 5K.....for the purpose of getting good gas mileage.
Wow... that's being pretty disciplined. Then again, I'd have to open my 1gen throttle quite a bit further to keep up should you rescind that shift point. That USV and you get the same mileage with wildly different claimed loads is very interesting, though. Maybe the torque. ;)

· Registered
8,480 Posts
Zip..where are you getting tank is 4.5 gals?? I'll have to confirm with my manual at home, but I got this from sportrider:

SV1000S/SV1000 Specifications

MSRP*: SV1000S: $8,599, SV1000: $7,999
Engine: 996, four-stroke, liquid cooled, 90 degree V-Twin, DOHC, 8-valves, TSCC
Bore & Stroke: 98.0 x 66.0mm
Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
Carburetor: Fuel Injection
Lubrication: Wet Sump
Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
Starter: Electric
Transmission: 6-Speed
Final Drive: 530 Chain
Overall Length: 2130mm (83.9 in.)
Overall Width: SV1000S: 730mm (28.7 in.), SV1000: 790mm (28.7 in.)
Overall Height: SV1000S: 1170mm (46.1 in.), SV1000: 1040mm (40.9 in.)
Seat Height: 810mm (31.9 in.)
Ground Clearance: 140mm (5.5 in.)
Wheelbase: 1435mm (56.5 in.)
Dry Weight: SV1000S: 189kg (417 lbs.), SV1000: 185kg (408 lbs.)

Suspension:
Front: Telescopic, cartridge-type, adjustable preload, adjustable compression & rebound damping
Rear: Link-type, adjustable preload, adjustable compression & rebound damping

Brakes:
Front: Dual hydraulic disc
Rear: Single hydraulic disc

Tires:
Front: 120/70 ZR-17
Rear: 180/55 ZR-17
Fuel Tank Capacity: 17 liter (4.7 gal.)
Color: SV1000S: Silver, Orange, SV1000: Silver, Blue

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.