Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all SV1000S owners. Here is some background: I have a 650 naked and a ZRX1200R. SV was my first bike, which I loved and was great to learn on. It was too small for my stature of almost 6' 3" though and not quite enough juice. Thats where the ZRX came in, with all of its brutishly powerful goodness!

But there is a common issue with both bikes, I have knee problems which are greatly irritated by the riding position, and both offer sh!t for wind protection. So after three seperate half hour stints of highway riding with the ZRX my neck is killing me from windblast and my knees were locking up for every dismount :(. The higher pegs bend my knees and make me lean forward to boot, causing sore wrists etc.

I love the insane power of the 1200cc inline 4, but it will never sound as good as that V-Twin. I'm seriously considering trading the ZRX for a SV1kS, but the reviews that I have read say that the bars are too low and forward and pegs are too high. I know i can get new bars and risers, but how about lowering the pegs and moving them forward? Are new peg and lever mounts available that can do this? By available, I mean a couple hundred dollars, because I don't have $500 to spend on that! I want a bike with plenty of power, wind protection, and comfort for longer rides at a low price point. Is it feasible?

Any help and tips are appreciated, thanks!

-Matt

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You'll either need standard handlebars or higher clip ons (Swatt, Helibars, Convertibars). You will also need longer brake, throttle and clutch lines to reach to the higher bars.

Not sure if the SV1000 pegs are the same as the 650 - if so, Buell lower footpegs work great,

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ever thought about the big V-Strom?

Only problem is the looks... a face only a mother could love!
How about a Yamaha FZ1, Ducati Multistrada, Bandit 1200/1250, or any number of BMWs?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I've read about the Buell mod, and while it moves the pegs down I guess it also moves them back (which is going to increase wrist pressure). If only it moved them down and forward lol. I have thought about the V-Strom and Bandit, the FZ1 etc, but I like the look and sound of the SV best! A Duck or Bimmer are out of the question until I get some debts paid off, though. I'll check into the FZ1 more, but its got that **** inline 4 :(.

Thanks for the other note Dubtecv2, I didn't even think about having to lengthen the dam control cables. I'll have to check into that more too.

I appreciate the help guys, I know I sound like a whiney b1tch, but I just want to be comfortable (and look good :p) on the slab ride to work. I need the upright, stretched out ergos and a nice big fairing lol

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The Buell pegs did not increase wrist pressure when installed on my SV.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm 5'7.

If you look close in that picture, the rider's feet are way up on the pegs. In a normal (non-sport) riding stance, the FZ1 is very comfy - about the same as a Bandit I'd say (maybe a tad more sport-oriented, but not by a lot).

Another option is an SV1000 Naked, although only available as an '03. What money you'd save on buying an older bike you can put into a full fairing kit.

Truthfully, I think a DL1000 V-Strom would be perfect for you. It has that V-Twin that we all so dearly love, couch-like ergonomics and plenty of wind protection.

On second thought, look at a Triumph Tiger. That 1050cc triple is supposed to be sublime - torque of a v-twin with the power of an I4. they aren't all that spendy, either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
they are not as ucomfortable as u have been told, thats actually why i bought mine because i wanted a bike that would keep up with my friends cbrs and zxs and gsxrs, but still have alot of comfort to ride all day, i found with this bike i dont keep up with them i own them and they have no chance in touching me in the curves or flat, and after a good day of riding im not sore at all and they all can hardly walk, i was lookin at maybe lowering or moving my pegs back as well and this is what i found... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SV1000-Race-SV-1000-Silver-Rear-Set-Riser-Plates_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370090316870QQitemZ370090316870QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories, i hope this is what your looking for because i didnt want to spend alot of money either and this fits my price range pretty well

kaleb

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dubtecv2, thanks for the other options there. I really dig that Vstrom the more I read about it! I can't find a single one for sale around me right now, but I will be keeping my eyes open. I love the Tiger too (along with the Daytona, and speed triple, and ...) but there are never any for sale around here! I've seen a single Daytona for sale, and thats it. The V-strom seems like it might fit the bill perfectly for me though. The motor appears to be practically, if not, the same as the one in the SV1000, but its upright with low pegs and a big fairing.

iconsv, those are some pretty neat pieces for a pretty cheap price! I will definitely be keeping those in mind. I think for my purpose i would mount them on upside down so I could lower the pegs but not really move them back.

So.... does anyone want to buy a MINT 2005 ZRX1200R with 2,300 miles on it? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dubtecv2, thanks for the other options there. I really dig that Vstrom the more I read about it! I can't find a single one for sale around me right now, but I will be keeping my eyes open. I love the Tiger too (along with the Daytona, and speed triple, and ...) but there are never any for sale around here! I've seen a single Daytona for sale, and thats it. The V-strom seems like it might fit the bill perfectly for me though. The motor appears to be practically, if not, the same as the one in the SV1000, but its upright with low pegs and a big fairing.

iconsv, those are some pretty neat pieces for a pretty cheap price! I will definitely be keeping those in mind. I think for my purpose i would mount them on upside down so I could lower the pegs but not really move them back.

So.... does anyone want to buy a MINT 2005 ZRX1200R with 2,300 miles on it? :)

I have a nearly new 2003 SV1000S in silver for sale. It has only 1300 miles on it. Interested?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll throw in a second vote for the SV1000S. I installed helibars on mine--didn't require longer brake lines or anything--and have ridden 6500 miles through the winter this year (in Texas).

I would recommend a Sargent seat, and the Buell peg mod is pretty simple, all in all. Then you're done.

If you haven't heard an SV1K with Twin Bros slip-ons, then you haven't lived.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Anyone have a comparison of an SV1000 with "tall rider" modifications compared to a V-Strom?

I have a DL650A with Tall Touring saddle (40mm higher) and the SV riding position seems quite a bit more compact. I've sat on stock models but haven't seen one with any "comfort" mods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
MattMan, where do you live that doesn't have any used V-Stroms and Triumphs?

And how old are you that a half hour ride without a fairing makes your neck sore? Or should I ask how fast you were going to generate that strong a wind blast?

I'm just asking ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
my dad had an svs 1000 he toured on, he put the heli bars and the seargent seat on (as well as many other upgrades) and did a 4000 mile trip in ten days. the handle bars and seat were what made it possible for him to handle the long ride, hes 6'1 and i never heard him complain about knee problems. hope this helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts