Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've just test rode an SV1000 and I am seriously disappointed... mainly with the power on tap. I might be spoiled after an 02 R1 and now an 05 R1 afer the SV650 I had... but I expected more.

I loved my SV650, it had good torque, lots of drive and character.
I went to an R1 because I always wanted one... and loved it. I decided to try the SV1000 because the wrist hurting R1 was getting a bit tyring

I rode an SV1000N with Yoshi Full system and PC3, but it felt weak.... very weak. Yeah, a 100 kmh came up quick but it felt sluggish and slow (compared to the R1). What I was expecting was all the R1 torque (and some) but none off the top end... but had none of the torque either.

Did I ride a dud?

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I'd say you rode a dud.:) No..it won't have the R1's top end rush. No way. But, properly set up (which many aren't) it has gobs of midrange torque which equals or surpasses what the litre-bikes have.

The N you rode must have been a K3? If so, the later bikes had a bit more oomph from the factory. And, the stock Suzuki STV settings are very, very soft....especially in the lower gears. 'Throttle nannies' they are.

There is also the chance that the person who did the exhaust work and PC3 install didn't know what he was about and hadn't fiddled things in properly. The cam timing is pretty sensitive on the 1K's and must be JUST so to run as right as they can. Many don't have this done it seems.

So....comparing the SV1K to the R1 isn't really fair in the first place, but I can't imagine anyone riding a properly sorted SV being anything less than impressed with it. Just remember that many SV's won't break into the hundred-teens at the rear wheel while there is TL type power inside the cases that you just have to let out.

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
the sv1000 is a dud from the factory, compared to most other Vtwin bikes. there not competitive on the track in there class either.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I rode an SV1000N with Yoshi Full system and PC3, but it felt weak.... very weak.
It's down 40hp on your old r1 and 70hp on some of the modern liter bikes. On the sport rider dyno the 03 R1 made better power from 5.5K rpm all the way to redline.

You don't need a dyno to feel that.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to owning a SV650S! I have to say that it's one great bike, much better than you'd expect a bargain like this to be. After owning a ZX9R I must say it's much more usable and fun on real roads.

I bought a 2000 SV650S and I absolutely love it, the torque is amazing and that's why I don't understand why it revs at 5000rpm at 65mph.... It could do with 4000 or even a little less.
If you believe the 650 is amazing, disappointed in the 1000 and yet, fast to 100kmh but falls off tells me that you have a restricted ecu. The ZX9R is less street usable than the R1? I think I would have been spoiled at the ZX9R, not until the R1.

2+2=1.99999996 Something isn't adding up in here.

You don't like to ride a slow bike fast? :lmao:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Go test ride any fz1. I actually like the older fz1

Sent from the back seat of my sv650s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you believe the 650 is amazing, disappointed in the 1000 and yet, fast to 100kmh but falls off tells me that you have a restricted ecu. The ZX9R is less street usable than the R1? I think I would have been spoiled at the ZX9R, not until the R1.

I felt my SV650 (which was a well tuned one) was incredibly torquey and alert on the throttle for just a 650, I love riding slow bikes fast, that's why I also have a ZXR250 and VFR400, which I ride quicker than my R1 through the bends.
After a while I did get bored with the 650 so I went with the R1. I feel the R1 is a bit too hard core for the street (though the engine is incredible), so because of the good experience with the SV650 I thought I'd go for the SV1000.

Is that so strange?

Either way, I've dropped the SV1000 from my list, just rode another one and same thing. I might just not be a big V twin bike, but I felt the SV didn't "feel" like a 1000 and all of that "wild" behaviour people praise big twins for was completely lacking. If I'm honest it felt less "alive" than the old carb fed SV650 I had.

The new FZ1 looks like a good contender indeed. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have ridden a gen 1 FZ1 and it has power in spades over my sv1000 I had,
A little less on the bottom , but way more rush on top.
It all depends on your style of riding if the power up top is more usable than the torque on the bottom of the sv ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Also, you might want to look at a Buell 1125R/CR, an Aprilia RSV (the V-twin ones), or a Ducati *insert greater than 800cc superbike models* before you completely give up on big twins.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts

That's an insult yo. I R mad. :evil6:

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Try a Superduke or Tuono before you give up on big twins.

·
Super Moderator
8,936 Posts
If power is your thing, any bike with less power will be disappointing.

When I compare my humble SV650 to all the loveable POS bikes I had in the 70s and 80s, man, feels like MotoGP to me! It is all relative.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The KTM might be an option as I love the looks of them, are they street usable at all? As I hear they're quite hard core aswell (which is fine, just looking for higher bars and naked look pretty much).

I'm not a fan of Ducati's as they need their timing belts changed every few thou kays, had a ride on an 800SS and I found it very rough running, but I know the newer ones are much better.

I don't just want power, I never really use all the revs on my R1, sometimes to have the awesome rush, but mainly I stay between 5-8000 rpm, and that's exactly where I found the SV1000 lacking compared to my R1.

Been thinking about a Speed Triple aswell, would like to test ride one of those.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
That's an insult yo. I R mad. :evil6:
You saw what I did! .....lol

0-60 and 0-100, 60-80 and 80-100 times are too close between the 03 R1 and 03 SV1K to even worry about. In fact, the SV produced slightly better numbers 0-60 and 0-100............

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
:hiding2:

lol :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
336 Posts
If power is your thing, any bike with less power will be disappointing.

When I compare my humble SV650 to all the loveable POS bikes I had in the 70s and 80s, man, feels like MotoGP to me! It is all relative.
+1

My friend who has a S1000RR rode my SV1000S and said: "Is there something wrong with your bike? It's like something is pulling it from behind!"

Man, you ride a 200hp motorcycle. For sure my 120hp bike is slower!

I had a SV650S K6 for 2 years, and now a SV1000S K5. There is a thread here that compares the 2.

The 1000 pulls much more than the 650. But i feel a bit like you, the 650 was a bit more "peppy" on the throttle.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I dunno. I've ridden 2 SV650's, 2 SV1ks, 1 Monster 900, and 1 GSXR 600. Both SV1ks had computer tuning, 1 PC3 and one Healtech unit. They both were more responsive then my 650. Now the 1ks you couldn't just ham the throttle and expect to maintain full control whereas you can ham the 650 all day long and still maintain control! The 1ks pulled harder and quicker than my 650 will ever do!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts