Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SUZUKI SV1000SZ, KAWASAKI ZX-10 B1, HARLEY DAVIDSON SOFTAIL HERITAGE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel that my recently acquired SV1000SV is not good in the lower gears driving slowly about town but will rip your arms out otherwise.

I’ve serviced and checked through the bike also changed the chain. Checked the throttle bodies using a vacuum gauge and the TPS are all surprisingly bang on.
From what I can see from my research this is considered normal for this bike..

im going to try fitting a plug in TRE (Timing Retard ) to see if that will iron out the problem.
Have any of you guys had any experience of using one?

The following extract explains
A TRE (timing retard eliminator) "fools" the motor management into thinking that the bike is always in 5th gear, which eliminates the timing retard (since this only affects gears 1 to 3), and removing the top-end RPM limiter (which only affects 6th gear).

A TRE (timing retard eliminator) "fools" the motor management into thinking that the bike is always in 5th gear, which eliminates the timing retard (since this only affects gears 1 to 3), and removing the top-end RPM limiter (which only affects 6th gear).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Explain "what is not good at lower speed and gears"? Describe chugging?
When in first gear it feels like it should be in second but when in second it feels like it should be in first…..it’s not smooth .
It must be the gear ratio thing I think ….the bike is just not comfortable going slow in traffic.
After 50 years of riding big bikes it’s only the second time I have encountered this.
My other bike a Kawasaki ZX-10 B1 is very smooth in comparison

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Being the SV is new to you, it may take some getting used to, and riding different bikes back-to-back will accentuate the differences. A big twin will feel quite a bit different than an inline-4.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being the SV is new to you, it may take some getting used to, and riding different bikes back-to-back will accentuate the differences. A big twin will feel quite a bit different than an inline-4.
I have another big twin….a Harley Softail Heritage

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Started in 1966 on a Triumph 650 Thunderbird T with a Swallow Fiberglass sidecar ….heavy cantankerous beast

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Nice!

I had an XS1100 42 years ago. That bike was a pig but I loved it! At the time it was the fastest production motorcycle ever made, could break the speed limit in 1st gear. Now, my little SV650 could almost take it in the 1/4 mile. : -)

Reactions: URBANJUNGLE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice!

I had an XS1100 42 years ago. That bike was a pig but I loved it! At the time it was the fastest production motorcycle ever made, could break the speed limit in 1st gear. Now, my little SV650 could almost take it in the 1/4 mile. : -)
My 1988 Kawasaki Zx-10 Ninja…..fastest bike in the road in 1988 and will still leave the SV1000 in its wake…still in its original condition

My Pig was a CB900F…..
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reason I asked was to try to see if the lower rpm roughness was the common trait known as "Clutch Chudder". There are ways to sort of test for that. If the clutch basket is worn badly anything under 4000 rpm can be rough. And should not be....
Very helpful piece of information. 4000 rpm it’s ok….it’s the very slow speeds. Clutch seems to work fine other than a little noisy on startup with the clutch lever out….depress the lever in …obviously disabling the clutch …sounds fine…..after warming up……sounds better. I’ll investigate further. Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The reason I asked was to try to see if the lower rpm roughness was the common trait known as "Clutch Chudder". There are ways to sort of test for that. If the clutch basket is worn badly anything under 4000 rpm can be rough. And should not be....
Hi,
Just to say that I think you have hit the nail on the head. After further research I think “Clutch Shudder“ is very likely to be the culprit. In truth, I never suspected the clutch because there was no slipping or anything in the clutch operation that made me suspect the clutch.
Well Done

·
Registered
105 Posts
i would check the clutch basket and also you could go down -1 tooth in front and +1 in back on sprockets...
but still, its big twin which is not happy with too low rpms and crawling in low speeds...
twin and I4 have very different behaviour...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts