Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background to this topic...
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=47280.msg507554#msg507554
I got the bars a couple days ago and slapped them on. Here's the lowdown.

Comparison 1 The top is 650, bottom 1000. Note the 'steeper' angle on the 650 to make the bar ends parallel.

Comparison 2 Conversely, put the centers together and see how the bar ends compare (650 on bottom this time). Notice also the lines iin the bar to grip the risers are not the same width. I noticed this on a description (where did I see that?) before I bought it. One row lines up, so I figured that's good enough.

Won't bore you with installing - very standard stuff.

Installed Looks pretty stock, which I like. The lines I mentioned before show up outside the riser - a little funky, but I have a couple accessories that need switches  - bar mounted may be a good way to hide them. Oh yes, bonus! The holes in the 1000 bar match the 650; the tab in the ignition switch goes right into the little hole - no drilling!
Hand position moved out a little wider. Riding position pulled me a bit forward, which I like, but a bit lower than I wanted. I can feel that I want to cut that seat lower now. Also, the peg position is a little funkier (1/2" back would help?) but not bad. I won't mess with that until I figure the seat out first.

Ridability I totally love what this has done for the steering. I get much more subtle feedback from the bars, and turning requires far less effort. Example: there is a turn (downhill, left, uphill) on my route home that I could take up about 78  mph before having to put some work into it. I breezed through it first try at 85mph - tried again and had to work a little at about 88.
I had to tweedle the bar position a little to get it right. I didn't like the angle of the hands or the amount forward at first, but after rotating the bars 'up' a little more it got much better. I'm still getting used to ; it I think it will be OK within a week. Body position is less favorable for long distance or commuter comfort. Seat change should help.

Conclusion The jury is still out. It's going to be awhile before I can have a full compare between stock and 1000 bars in my brain. Aggressive riding is much better - anyone in Austin knows Lime Creek road - much easier ride, less effort to turn. I'm glad I didn't go the route of getting some of the radically different bars suggested. I prefer to have a 'natural' looking bike; one that appears stock but has the right changes in the right places; gaudy anodized bars with stickers and logos were a minus. I like the comfort of the 650 set better (when I sat on it on the showroomfloor I liked it right away), but for the improved handling of the 1000 bars I can live with a little less Barc-o-lounger.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
OK, so I'll ask, albeit 3:20 am...why does the child have that dusk mask on????????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DougZ said:
OK, so I'll ask, albeit 3:20 am...why does the child have that dusk mask on????????
She saw me wearing it doing some work. She wanted to help me work on the motorcycle - 'Daddy I need a mask'

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Looks good, Todd, although I still like my BLACK anodized bars from spiegler.  Too bad the weather sucks in Cleveland, and I won't be riding till spring.  No gaudiness of stickers here.  ;D

Too bad I'm going to need to replace my throttle cables as I get just a little binding (and resultant revving) at full lock to the right. These bars are just a tad too wide for the stock cables. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver03SV650 said:
How long did the install take, and how much did you get the bars for?
I don' t remember, but I bought them new so they weren't cheap. Came with other stuff. Get them used. Someone with an '03 1000 must've switched to clipons by now.

I took a long time because I had to transfer my heated handgrips from the old bars to the new. If it weren't for that, perhaps 20 minutes absolute tops, taking off old, putting on new, adjusting, readjusting.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Looks good Todd. I am going to switch bars this winter and will keep the 1000 bars in mind.

Orangegilly I dig the black bars and the mirrors on your bike too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toddpnewton said:
I don' t remember, but I bought them new so they weren't cheap. Came with other stuff. Get them used. Someone with an '03 1000 must've switched to clipons by now.

I took a long time because I had to transfer my heated handgrips from the old bars to the new. If it weren't for that, perhaps 20 minutes absolute tops, taking off old, putting on new, adjusting, readjusting.
So if I wanted a little more feedback on my '03 SV650, but didn't want to spend alot of time/money, this would be worthwhile? It's basically just taking the stuff off the old bars and transferring to the new ones, right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Silver03SV650 said:
So if I wanted a little more feedback on my '03 SV650, but didn't want to spend alot of time/money, this would be worthwhile?  It's basically just taking the stuff off the old bars and transferring to the new ones, right?
Swapping out is extremely easy. Everything bolts the exact same, and you don't have to remove a bunch of junk. There's enough clearance if do one side, then the other and slap it back on. No cable reroutes/shorten/lengthen etc.

But the bars aint' cheap new. IIRC they were around 50$ ? ? ? ?  You can get aftermarket for less than 20. But, you'll have to look at the height and pullback change to assess the cable clearance.

I wish I savbed all the info I found online for bar measurements. Here's the SV...

Model     Diameter Height Width Pullback Center Clamp Area

SV 1000 2004      7/8"  3"        26" 6"       5-1/2" 2-3/4" x 4-1/2"
SV 650 2002-05  7/8"  3-1/2" 26" 7-1/2" 5"       3" x 4-3/4"
SV 650 2001       7/8"                                          3" x 4-3/4"

·
Registered
39 Posts
toddpnewton said:
She saw me wearing it doing some work. She wanted to help me work on the motorcycle - 'Daddy I need a mask'
That's good. We were hoping that it wasn't some sort of wierd Michael Jackson thing. Shamon'

·
Registered
157 Posts
never noticed that those stock gauges look really nice.  is there anyway to put 1st gen gauges on a 2nd gen?  i noticed that my 2nd gen guages just plug in. how much difference is there between the 1st and 2nd gen wiring harness?  the microfiche doesnt show it too well, looks like a lotta lil connections on the 1st gen.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The bikemaster "Daytona" bars will give you even better leverage and feel. $16-20 makes it worth the try too, most motorcycle shops have em in black or more commonly chrome. I have installed these on my 03 SV650N with no cable mods, stock cables all reach well, but are at thier limit. These bars have MUCH less drop and better upward sweep, talk about feedback and steering sensativity! they work great. I think i cut about and inch off each end. even the bar weights fit them.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Hey Orangagilly? what up with the double brake lines off your master cyl????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts