Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into doing up a sv1000, Does anybody here know of a performance shop that makes High compression Pistons and Better Camshafts?? :naughty:

Thanks. ACE>

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
As per Mr. Schmidt (who does know his schidt) the stock pistons offer most of what the TL pistons do if your SV is the latter K5-7 version. Not very cost effective to change a late bike for what you gain. Cutting the jugs to decrease the squish-band is very effective way to gain compression and speed up the flame front. The stock cams aren't all THAT 'bad' and can make quite a bit of good power with the proper setup so replacement should be down the list a bit after you do several other things.

Do you have the ability to dial-in cam timing? (not just line up the dots) These engines respond well to altered centerlines. As well as increased ignition advance. And STV-less intakes. Yucchhh.....

Anyway, some simple tweaking can reward you with a very nice running SV1K. You CAN put thousands of dollars in for a few more HP if you want, but the stock gear subtly tuned will surprise many people if you do it right. After all, this isn't an I-4 and you are limited in what you can get out of it. You can polish a turd, but all you get is a shiny turd.:) Not saying the SV is a turd....just seems that people that come in wanting to 'do up' an SV seem to end up disappointed with the 125 or so HP their large wad of money has bought them. Stock tuned bike IS good for what it is. Would suggest the tuning above and enjoy....but that is just me. Good luck to you!:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I contacted a performance shop called "SPEARS ENTERPRISES" They specialize in V-twins.
You are right, i realize the SV1000 is not a R1. But i lOOVE the sound of a "stout" V twin over the sound of a In line 4. Im the kinda person who likes to push every horse out of a engine as much as i can.

SPEARS offers a better cam, and 12.5:1 Pistons. I think when the time comes thats what i will do. As well as a Full tune with a power commander and Advance timing. I usually run HIGH test fuel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you guys use to advance timing? DO you use off set timing keys? or is their a computer box that does it? Also how much more timing does the Sv1000 like to obtain max power?

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
What do you guys use to advance timing? DO you use off set timing keys? or is their a computer box that does it? Also how much more timing does the Sv1000 like to obtain max power?
Having read of spotty performance from the electronic 'advance' boxes, I went with the 4 degree split-key as you KNOW you are getting what you want. Most definitely improved the low-midrange torque...but may have taken a little away up on top. No matter as I rarely redline the thing but do enjoy the additional midrange power. And a couple mpg's better to boot.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts