Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding around in Tropical Storm Debby for the last couple days, and yesterday upon arriving at my destination I experienced what seemed to be SV325 syndrome. I did the standard drain declog and the bike idled for a minute, but then when I went to take off it stalled. I could not restart the engine and I ended up pushing the bike home.

Later on, it still will not start. It will seem to run for a couple revolutions and then almost immediately stall. The fuel pump sounds weaker than I remember.

The front drain, spark plug, and boot look OK. It is possible that my gas cap is leaky. What would you check first?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Put some grease on the boot around the part that contacts the head when you clean it out. It can look like its seated, but water will still get past the boot. I experienced this recently as well. All I had on hand was some vaseline, and it has made a big difference to seal the boot to the valve cover.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe it or not, I already did that to no effect.

I'm very disheartened with how much downtime the SV has been experiencing lately so I'm considering getting it running and then selling it. I guess I'll try fresh gas. I hope that does the trick.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Clean the heck out of that plug hole, be sure the drain hole is not clogged, then pull the plug, clean the hole some more, dry up the plug, put it back, grease the boot, and put it all back together. It'll work fine, assuming you have that boot on the plug the whole way, and it seals up nicely around the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I second the dielectric grease in the plug connectors. It may be possible that water wreaked havoc on the electrics somewhere and it just hasn't dried out yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts